coyote size?

Quote:
After weighing maybe 20-25 a season,I'd say the avg. weight I see on my scales to fall in between 40-50 pounds.I think the actual avg of the general population is a little less,as I was likely seeing a sampling of some of the larger specimens.

I'm glad you said this Mick. Because I think an avg weight especially coming from a Taxidermists can be a little off of the real Avg. Reason being, a 20-30lb coyote isn't always considered a trophy by most, so the Taxidermist doesn't get to weigh many of them.

Me personally, I live in Southern California and would love to see a 25lb coyote.. 50lbs??? They don't even look that big after 4 days of laying on the side of the road.

Quote:
Me personally, I live in Southern California and would love to see a 25lb coyote.. 50lbs??? They don't even look that big after 4 days of laying on the side of the road.

This is at least one of the reasons there is always the "what caliber is best for coyotes" debate going on. What works well on a 25 pound 'yote, may not stack up that well on a 50 pounder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dsc00342.jpg

Thanks Kirby, I try to maintain a light & entertaining lifestyle,figuring if it's no fun,it's probably not worth doing anyways,lol.
Sore,that's so true.Each deer season I'd be surprised at the number of guys that would come by the studio to check out the bucks coming in and have remarks along the lines "wow,you guys have some fantastic bucks around here" or the like.I've been mounting them almost as long as I've been hunting them, and in 30 years can attest,that the really big ones are darn few and far between.I think a lot can be said about misjudgement of size by the average hunter as well,wether it be a 50 pound dog or 150b&c whitetail.Case in point, a few years back I mounted a big buck from Canada for a guy.This monster scored 187pts,dressed out at 300+ pounds and it's neck was 29" in circumferance at the smallest point.The following summer while the mount was on display in my showroom,several guys remarked after finding out the origins of the buck "oh,we have them like that around here", but the one that really took the cake was the guy that said, "I seen one last season that would make that look like a yearling!" LOL, wonders never cease

Back