2006 coyote pop.

kirby

I expect a high coyote population count this yr, as compared to the last two. Winter 03-04, spotted 75-76?. This last two yrs' mid to upper-40's.

I've read/heard others state. Coyote [pop] is cyclic with mainly [rabbit cycles] & other prey over 7 & 11yr cycles. I've followed, different types of other factors. Trying to see if they hold true. None, panned out with much consistant accuracy.

In my area, the only thing since I started to hunt coyote. Seems every 3yrs, their population rise's. Then falls the last 2yrs, in a 3yr cycle.

What has anyone else noticed?

We had more mange in the last two winters, less last winter, than the one before it. I seem to see rabbits every year in IA. Out west I'll see a dozen in a 1/2 mile on the trail, a couple years later, one rabbit in a week of hunting coyotes.
The bobcats seem to go way down on kittens when the rabbits are gone, but the coyote probably are more flexable on food, take more deer and ect. There are a lot of field mice in IA, I think the biology teacher in college said there were over 40 different mice and vole type prey out there. T.20

A very complex question to answer. Predators are generally cyclic with the ups and downs of their primary prey species. The classic is the Lynx/snowshoe hare cycle. Coyotes are a better adapted and can survive on many different prey species, primarily rodents. As the rodent population so goes the coyote population, kinda. Throw in mange and the formula goes right out the window. So, the best way I know how to evaluate the coyote population is go hunt for sign and coyotes. No sign, no coyotes.

Seems rather rudimentary, but mange can wipe out a healthy coyote population quickly.

Other than [Mange] thrown in as a factor[almost non-existant, around here]. I've only seen a couple coyotes with it, in my area over my yrs. Have either of you two. Noticed any type of [yearly cycle] with the [local] coyote/prey populations?

Also [Mike], or anyone else. Ever heard of "coyote migration"? Like what has been said/written, about the [Red Wolf]?

Around here sometimes there is very little sign, but sit around a campfire and you can here three or four packs of coyotes howling within a few hundred yards. I mainly look for scat on the gravel roads and tracks. Scat on roads must not be a great indicator in some places.

I can go out sometimes for 8 or 10 stands a day and not see anything, and 10 minutes after the sun goes down I hear them all around me.

It seemed when the mange wiped out most of our fox, 14-15 years ago, the coyotes got it too, but seemed to survive it better. Or we have more move in.
I was wondering when the coyote took over after the fox was gone, was it because the fox were not eating a lot of the prey, thus giving the coyote an easier way to move on in? I was averaging 120 fox per season before the mange, 6-7 coyotes per 120 fox. Now I could expect 40-50 coyotes to 5-10 fox.T.20

T-20,

Interesting observations. IMO, lb for lb, a Red is just as tough as a coyote. Mange in either the Red's or coyote has never been an issue here. Guess thats a [focal] geographical problem.

Reds are slighly faster in a fight IMO, but not as for running flatout or endurance wise. I've came across a couple dead Red's, I suspect coyote caught them in the open. Something did.

I hunt a lot of miles, every time I go out. Rare to see a Red anymore. Also since the coyote pop, has risen. Less prey noted in my area, as well.

Most curious of all to me. Is the "main" factor in coyote population increase around me.

What rangerider said, scat on the roads, and road killed coyotes on the highway. Both are good indicators of an active coyote population and of course hearing them is proof positive.

That doesn't necessarily mean they will be called in during the day though.

Don't forget that coyotes are primarily nocturnal hunters. The ones we call in at midday are (probably) either protecting their territory from intruders, curious, or didn't get as much to eat the night before as they would have liked.

An abundant food supply might mean less successful midday calling, even though there will probably be a larger population.

Or we could ALL go to TX and hunt them at night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is rare to see a coyote dead on the road, I do find droppings. We have a road around almost every square mile. My guess from what I hear is TX has maybe more than several times the coyote IA does, per square mile.T.20

Yup, same here Tac. I've only seen a handfull of roadkill coyotes in my county. Since I started hunting them.

Not just my vehicle, but when they see any vehicle coming down the gravel road. They either lope or go flatout, in the opposite direction, constantly looking back. A tad leery.

They'll often pause & start walking @ the 1/2 mile fenceline. Always watching, always. If I stop, then their heading towards the next section.

I've humped many a mile through the hills. Rarely have I ever seen scat out in a section. Last Fall & Winter snowfly. Seen more scat, than all the previous yrs combined.

They are very hard to call around here. The only time, is if you catch them asleep 1/2 mile away & stalk in, to about the 1/4 mile. You might have a slim chance. But even then, they'll hang way out there, loping & looking.

When the coyotes arounfd here hear a decelerating vehicle they go into a matrix style evasion manuver,cloaking devices engadged they warp from one plain to the next avoiding any possible danger at warp speed,99% of the yotes killed around here are shot from vehicles.

NONYA,

Just curious. How many lb's was the heaviest coyote taken out your way. Also have you ever seen/heard of a coyote hybrid taken out your way, as well? Also, anyone out your way, ever seen a feral dog running with a coyote?

Greenside,

This 3yr cycle isn't etched in stone, mind ya. But it's the only thing, that has panned out. With any regularity figuring coyote, LOL!

Thankfully only a couple [wannbe]diehards in my part of the county. Funny, I don't see a sole, when it's well below zero /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Leave's me with more targets, gotta like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby,the biggest yote i have personally seen was about 35 lbs,I have heard of bigger but never seen one here,never seen a coydog or hybrid in person,i know a rancher that had a pet yote back when i was a kid,my parents used to go over to visit and i would stalk around the yard trying to catch him,he was REAL nervouss around strangers.I have seen a dog running with woloves that looked like a hybrid mix ,someone probably got tied of him and cut him loose.

10-4 NONYA. Interesting about that possible dog running with wolves. There's some mighty big coyote in my area. Many males in the upper 30's-mid 40's. Must be that farm cat diet.

Kirby, I saw too dead yotes from Estherville to Iowa City, 5hrs, today. One adult and one pup different places, southern IA. If your at a 1/4 mile use a mouth squeek, or moan like a baby. A rabbit call may be too load that close.
I caught a big hefty male that was 45lbs, many 40lbrs. I got a good number of 35-40lb one out west, too.T.20

10-4 on squeeking, Tac.

They do come in, but rarely. They swing wide from afar. Two Winter snowflys ago. Called one in from 3/8 mile, after stalking in aways[spotted him bedded @ the 1/2 mile].

Wind was rippin out of the North [coyote was West of me]. 5-minutes later, here he came[from my up-wind]. Loping/looking my way, from 300yrds out or so. I turned slowly to swing on him. Made a couple lip squeeks into the wind. He momentarily froze. Commenced to cranking off rds[1st one missed, LOL].

I was perched up high on the side of a hill. Coyote was down low in a deep valley. Coyote heard my squeek, as he was loping, through that wind from afar.

Biggest male weighed 50lbs circa;1981
Biggest female weighed 47lbs circa;1971
Both, had unusual physical characheristics.

Back