Coyote Offseason???

AJ, what you describe is exactly the situation we are facing in Alabama. Very few coyote hunters here and the coyote population is exploding. There is a mountain in front of my sub division that is loaded with them. They stay up on the mountain and den in old abondoned ore mines. When they come down on the southeast side of the mountain they work on the small horse farms there. When they come down on my side they kill the cats and dogs that people unknowningly are making available for them. Everyone around here knows that I hunt them so each time a cat or dog disappears or a farmer spots one in the pasture with his colts I get a call. A lot of times it is not convenient for me but regardless of the time of the year I try to help the farmer out. I can't do much for the homeowners who have lost cats and dogs but bring home a dead coyote occasionally which makes them happy. It is a losing battle though since there are tons of coyotes and only one of me. I haven't seen a coyote kill a dog or cat but some of the neighbors say they have. I do see them at night in the sub-division. If a farmer has cattle or horses in pastures where a lot of coyotes are sighted he gets worried. I don't think they kill cattel or horses though I did see a colt that was killed by a pack according to the farmer. I also saw several emu's killed by them. That was expensive. The point is if the landowner is concerned and I tell him I want help out because it is summer time he isn't happy and hunting priviledges may get revoked. It is too hot here to hunt in the summer anyway but I put on a show and actually kill one in July and August every now and then.

Hell Rich,You don't even have to go back 20 years to have alot of those spots to yourself even in Utah.Early to mid-nineties were good to me here in Utah,now you damn near have to parallel park to find a good stand.LOL That's why I rarely call here anymore.The other bordering states don't get quite as much pressure,because you actually have to drive a ways to get to good spots,and MOST of the weekend recreational callers are to lazy to go that far for coyotes.But give it time,I'm sure it will get crowded everywhere.I am lucky to be able to hunt alot of Private stuff that doesn't get pounded very hard.Good Hunting Chad

I think our two areas are much alike. Growing coyote population and it is having an impact on small game and domestic animals. None of which we can change and seems by some peoples standards I am an idiot. Not in so many words but I get the picture. I will no longer try and justify my actions as I feel I have no need to do so or care what others think. It would be nice to hear from others who live in the same region as I and convey there thoughts on what is happening here. Maybe the first recorded coyote was in the early 1900's, but if you lived where I do any half-wit could easily see that there are more coyotes now then ever and the # is growing. As far as estimated coyote # in the state of Ohio, these #'s are based on a bow hunter and mail man survey. The reported coyote population of Ohio is a low guess from what Game Wardens have told me. They could be wrong and I could be wrong, but the #'s here are growing and no one hunts them to slow this growth. Let alone the fact that alot of ground is now developed an coyotes have places to live and feed with no threat of being killed. This is probably the biggest factor in growth of the population. I suppose unless you live here and can first hand witness it you wouldn't get it! Happy hunting to all of ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

ajshoots,

Funny thing about hunters. You just have to have been there LOL!, I hear ya. No doubt, some folks call BS on things I've stated before. No big whoop.

There is no doubt IMO, there are many experienced hunter's, trappers, blah, blah, blah, out there.
Everyone see's things through different eyes & experience's.

When coyotes started to increase in my area. Cottintail Rabbit, Ringneck pheasant, Partridge, Vole & Field Mice, Red Fox & Raccoon dimished. Hmmm, must be something in the water around here, LOL!

Sorry Guys, didn't mean to confuse you with facts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
I've enjoyed our discussion and as always I learned something from it.
Thank you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gifThere you go again Rich, trying to cloud the issue with facts. These guys have spent dozens of hours prowling the dusty back roads around their favorite 1,000 acre plot to develop their knowledge. Then you come along and try to discredit all their research with scientific evidence, university studies, State game management accounts, and public record.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gifDo you think citing references to behavioral biology, ecological development, and territorial characteristics is going to carry any weight around here? Everyone knows that the real world of coyotes is right outside the window of your pickup truck (just beyond the beer cans), and not in the pages of territory development studies like (Knowlton et al. 1985, Windberg and Knowlton 1990).

Sorry, but you’re wasting your time if you think you’re changing the minds of home-grown experts with any book larnin’. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One day, this last Winter snowfly. 1dog & I went out spotting coyote. Spotted 11-coyotes, & 5-Red's. He went back up to MN later in the pm.

That hunt day tied another hunt we had, way back in Winter 81. That day, back in 81. We spotted 11-coyotes, 5-Red's & 1-coyote-x paired-up with a little female coyote. Hot barrel's were had by all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yeah Rich; like was said earlier. "everyone sees things thru different eyes and experiences"....real,or imagined:)
You go and pull that know-it-all stuff, just becasue you have been studying,hunting and learning about coyotes and their behavior longer than most of these guys have been alive.....shame on you.
To slightly change and old adage:..."I wouldn't have seen it, if I hadn't of believed it"

Quote:
I wouldn't have seen it, if I hadn't of believed it"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif There are none so blind, as those who refuse to open their eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

"Studies", are they [All encomapssing]. If so would they not be documented saying so. Studies, to me, are other observations/documentaions/experiences ie; "A part of the whole".

How can/could [anyone] who performs any study on any matter. "Confirm" their study is/are the "exact truth".

Now, wouldn't the "exact truth", be total in it's statement/body, & subject for critisism by[other experts]....Why then, 3 out of 4 doctor's agree, what about the 4th one.

Seems to me, coyotes are open for further studies LOL!

Quote:
Seems to me, coyotes are open for further studies

Now see there? Who said we can't agree on something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif More work is being done, albeit not at the pace we'd like to see.

Coyote Offseason??? Man have I been busy - lots of real work getting done here. I'm finally getting this studio-quality stuff figured all the way out. Today I got two great new sounds, real coyote killers for sure. The first one is distressed kitchen stool. It's been screamin' for grease for years. Sort of a cross between a fox squirrel and pterodactyl chick chirps. And the second was baby backdoor distress. It's a really busy sound and is going to work great on both bobcats and coyotes if past performance is any indicator of future success. The sound was so good coming from that hinge that while I was recording, a chipmunk came all the way in to the garage and almost stuck his nose in the door jamb. I dropped the microphone, grabbed the airgun, and gave him a 5mm for trespassing, but it's good to know instantly how well common household items work on varmints. Thank you Mr. Munk and RIP. There's a lot to be said for lack of maintenance and leaving things for repair later. The louder they squeak, the better they work.

I've been shopping for new camo too, especially cast-off halloween costumes in pastel colors. I smell a sequel.

Back