Coyote Offseason???

DocCoyote

I'm curious, I've read some posts on this site that talked about a coyote offseason. What's this all about? You can hunt yotes all year long here in NV. Is this just for people who are collecting hides? What's the deal? Thanks.

It is a personal decision to only hunt coyotes when the furs are prime and to allow the coyotes to raise their young . Shooting a wetbitch can leave many coyote pups to die a horrible death of starvation and dehydration. Some states have posted seasons on coyotes.

Yeah I usually give em a break for a couple reasons. Calling in the summer is less enjoyable, wading creeks for trout more enjoyable. Also the fact that if I wait til fall then the pups are all ok. Add to the fact that in the summer you have, Ticks, Mosquitos, Rattle snake, scorpiions, spider, you get the point. I just wait for the furs to get right and the young ones to be out on their own.

The woods are just too thick, to much foliage. I can't imagine trying to sit still with the sound of humming in your ears from mosquitos, it'll drive you insane. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Short trip for some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
-Ron

My reason for "laying off" coyotes in the Summer is personal! I HATE hot weather and in Eastern Oregon (as well as in Western Oregon)it can get extremely hot from late May through Sept. I much prefer to keep cool, away from the freaking hot sun!

Rustydog

Quote:
It is a personal decision to only hunt coyotes when the furs are prime and to allow the coyotes to raise their young . Shooting a wetbitch can leave many coyote pups to die a horrible death of starvation and dehydration. Some states have posted seasons on coyotes.

Ok, makes perfect sense. I've never even thought of that.

I subscribe to the idea of a Coyote Off Season too... if I see a coyote I off him! The problem I have with leaving yotes alone durring the early summer is this: Durring the months of April, May, and June they're doing a ton of damage to fawns, calves, and bird nests. The main reason I hunt coyotes as hard as I do is to help the populations of other species I enjoy hunting. Over the past 5 years we've taken over 400 coyotes from about a 10,000 acre parcel of land in Eastern Washington, a great number of them were shot durring the late spring/early summer. I've noticed a sharp increase in the deer population, a ton more pheasants/chukers/quail, and even some Black-Tail Jackrabbits (which I had never seen in the state untill two years ago.) While I can see the value in leaving coyotes alone to raise pups so you can maintain a huntable population, hunting them durring this time of year can have an immediate impact on other hunting opportunities when the fall Big Game and Upland Bird season rolls around. *qb

I was raised the only good coyote is a dead coyote. That being said after hunting them for the last 2 years. I respect them a heck of a lot more. I hunt year round for coyotes and think that with people trying to get ride of them. they have expanded there range. they will be around longer then we will.

I guess I could be a bit more clear. I hunt coyotes all over the state from about late August to the end of February. I not one of those "kill every coyote" guys, but, this time of year I try to hammer every coyote I can find on the section of land that I choose to do most of my deer and bird hunting. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially considering I do it all on public land. I'm not the only one reaping these benefits, I saw more bird hunters down there last year than all the rest of the years combined. I think it credits our caliber of hunter to have a positive effect on the "popular" game species in a given area by thinning coyote numbers. *qb

I'm with you QB, this season is for enhancing other hunting opportunities by protecting other species FROM Coyotes. There's plenty of that if you look around. BTW, thanks for the buy on the stock, the 25-06 is machined down and mounted up, looks good, shoots good! Thanks!

Sweet, I'm glad it worked out. Those stocks are much better than the last synthetics Remington put out. I've been shooting the .25-06 a lot lately too. I just put an HS stock on mine and mounted a Leupold MK4 3.5x10 on it. It is starting to earn its share of accolades in the field recently. *qb

Quote:
During the months of April, May, and June they're doing a ton of damage to fawns, calves, and bird nests. The main reason I hunt coyotes as hard as I do is to help the populations of other species I enjoy hunting.

quarterbored,
I agree with your "population" control method and am an avid participant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I shoot 'em all all year long. There's no doubt in my mind that I'm not even putting a dent in the coyote population, but every little bit has to help the deer's fawn populations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

DocCoyote, that's the exact reason that coyote hunting in Nevada on public land is not close to what it use to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Some people think you can't put a dent in the coyote population, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm here to tell you that you can and in a big way.

All you need to do is ask the older predator hunters what it use to be like before the onslought of millions of predator callers and government hunters with there cyanide, helicopters, airplanes, snares, traps and predator calls all but wiped out coyote populations in many areas of central and northern Nevada.

The real sad part is Nevada hunters let this happen by paying an extra $3 on there hunting lic for predator control. You can bet the cattle and sheep ranchers had alot to do with that one, they WANT every coyote dead.

Somebody that would find a coyote den and kill all the pups and the two adults is sick and NOT a hunter at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I've been hunting coyotes longer then many people are alive, I enjoy the sport and have a great respect for the coyote.
Most serious predator hunters don't hunt the coyote during it's denning season.

I was in northern Nevada this last Monday and Tuesday, They had alot of snow and water this last winter, BUT I didn't even see an RK, RC or a mousing coyote. That's not a good sign for this up coming season.
Southern Nevada don't get the ADC work northern Nevada does, that's probably the better place to hunt this fall....Good hunting to all you southern Nevada predator callers this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Road Kill
Road Crossings
Animal Damage Control

Welcome to predator hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last night me and a couple friends camped out in a meadow. We heard some deer cries so we thought we would go investigate. We found a half eaten fawn still alive, and off in the distance about 300 yards with the binoculars we spotted a coyote watching us. This gave me a reason to hunt coyotes in the summer months.

Quote:
Last night ...... off about 300 yards ..... we spotted a coyote watching us..

Wow, you must be able to afford some pretty exotic equipment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Were you using FLIR to locate him? I didn't think even GEN-4 is capable of 300 yds.! And you homed right in on him. That's awesome. Unbelieveable, even. Literally.

Our season runs from early October to the end of March.If the season here was open year around I'd shoot coyotes year around.
Aylor70,I had a similar experience a few years ago.We were ice fishing a pond until nearly dark when the coyotes sounded like they were on a feeding frenzy on the other end of the pond.I went to investigate the next morning.The yotes had pushed a deer out onto the ice,killed it and ate it right there.The only thing left was a spot of blood about 10 feet in diam.,some hair and bits of bone.Everything else was gone.The tracks in the snow told the story.
I love hunting yotes but I love hunting deer more.If there was a serious decline in coyote numbers here,perhaps the deer herd would come back.That is not likely to happen.

If you have a problem killing yotes in the summer when they have pups, do you have a problem killing does in novemeber who have fawns they havent weaned? Coyotes dont have an off season to me. I understand the personal preference, but I value our deer herd and I know our ranch owner values his calves. Same thing with BC's and Quail. Does no good to let them off the hook for a few months of the year.

Aylor, hope you go back out a get that yote! Pics are to be expected soon!

Back