IF You Had ONLY 2 Caliber's to use For Varmints/Predator's..What

srwduck

If you could use ONLY 2 Caliber's for Varmint's and Predator's/ What would they be, and Why??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

17 Mach 2 and .223.

The 17 mach 2 is just too much fun to shoot...very quiet, very accurate and a PD killer a=out to about 100 yards.

The .223 for the obvious range and "striking authority" difference. I own a 22-250 also but the .223 is much cheaper to load for or buy factory ammo for and it is very accurate for a very reasonable range.

243, 'cause it will work on any "varmint or predator" we have here in the states. And recoil is not an issue.

12 guage. 'cause it will work on any "varmint or predator" we have, plus turkey and small game too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
17 Mach 2 and .223.

The 17 mach 2 is just too much fun to shoot...very quiet, very accurate and a PD killer a=out to about 100 yards.

The .223 for the obvious range and "striking authority" difference. I own a 22-250 also but the .223 is much cheaper to load for or buy factory ammo for and it is very accurate for a very reasonable range.

How is the 223 "much cheaper to load for" than the 22-250 is. I guess cases might be cheaper, and you might use a little less powder, but surely not much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I agree if you buy factory ammo you save some cash, but not reloading though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

br.... brass is cheaper new or used for the .223. Less powder as well. If someone is shooting a few boxes a year, there isn't going to be a lot of difference...not enough to mention anyway.

On the flip side, I recently sold about 260 rounds on new 22-250 brass for $47. I took that money and purchased 1600 rounds of once fired commercial brass (non-crimped primer) for the .223. After the powder difference when I load 1600 rounds, I will have saved a considerable amount of money...even if you were to compare used .223 brass to used 22-250 brass there is a fair difference in cost.

Maybe it's because they're the only two bolt gun varmint calibers I've got, but... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

.22-250 and 6mm Rem.

Quote:
.... brass is cheaper new or used for the .223. Less powder as well. If someone is shooting a few boxes a year, there isn't going to be a lot of difference...not enough to mention anyway.

.... After the powder difference when I load 1600 rounds, I will have saved a considerable amount of money...even if you were to compare used .223 brass to used 22-250 brass there is a fair difference in cost.

Powder alone the .223 averages 300 rounds/pound where the .22-250 averages only 190. Lets round up on the 22-250 and say you load them light...yeah right....to 200/# and you still have a difference of 100 rounds per pound of powder. Now when you loads 1600 rounds you'll save almost 2#'s of powder shooting the .223...that's a prestty good savings considering I load 2000 rounds at a time.

I also get 5.56 Lake City brass for $99/2000....try getting high quality 22-250 once fired for that price.

I agree with Tcman...there is a substantial cost savings loading quantities of .223 compared to 22-250

I would choose my .223 and my .243..Because of the Versatility, and cost's involved in Reloading.I use Hornady and Sierra Bullets, and Hogdon Powders, have had Good luck So far with Both..! srwduck.

Back