Scope Recommendations?

1022DSP

Don't want to open a can of worms, but I need some advice. I have a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger that I've been having problems mounting a scope on - mostly large oculars not clearing the bolt handle. I've decided that I'd like to use a fixed power scope and it seems that the Weaver K series will fit just fine. I don't take shots much beyond 200 yards at PD size game and am wondering if a K-6 would be adequate or should I consider the KT-15.

I'm not an expert but I would think the KT-15 would be a bit much in the power range. I've found that with high magnification fixed power scopes that it is sometimes hard to find the critters you want to shoot. I always leave my adjustable scopes on low power and then zoom in on the critters once I see them. I would go with the KT-6, you should have no problem hitting prairie dogs out to 200 yards with this. Again this is based on personal preference and personal experience.

I have tried taller rings - Warne. Didn't like how high they raised the scope off the comb. Basically, I need a scope with a ocular not much larger than 41-42 millimeters. The reason why I'm thinking fixed power is that on all my variable scopes I tend to leave them at the highest settings anyway. So my thinking is why not just go with a fixed power scope and avoid some issues I've noticed with some variables such as eye relief changing, POI shifts with change in magnification, etc. At any rate, thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
I have 2 KT-15s and like them alot a good no frills scope. I have one on a AR 15 and the other on my Ruger 22-250 and use them mostly for prarie dogs. If your using it for predetor hunting then the power factor might be kind of high. I've also had excellent customer service from Weaver.

I had the same problem with the CZ 527. Basically all the Leupolds, Weavers and Bushnell Elites have a small enough ocular bell to work. Weaver V-16 is and excellent option. I think a K-15 would be OK for PD's only. When shooting PD's I generally leave my variables set at 14X.

Hawkeye58

I have a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gifWeaver kt-15 on my Remmy 700 VLS and I love it. My dad has 3 kt-15 on three reuger m77mk2 vt 204, 223, 22-250. The 204 will shot .350" 5 shot 100 yard groups if you let it. My remmy will shot .405" 5 shot at 100 yds if i let her do the shooting. I like the fact that I can use low rings with my weaver. I have seen too meny people at the range with the 50mm scopesand they are shooting with nothing but their jaw bone on the stock. A good cheak to stock weld is critical to good shooting. The only time i would ever put a scope with a objective larger than 42mm is if i had a rifle with an adjustable stock but, but the stock i like i can't get for my rifle, a 1917 Remington Enfield. She is my project gun that work is going very slowly on. Have to wait untill i get out of college before i can do anything worth while to her.

I use a 15x variable (Bushnell Legend 5-15x) on my .22-250 which a lot of people would consider inadequete for 400+ yard shots that I regularly take with it. 15x is plenty at 200 yards, if you ask me, but I can't really say I think 6x is ideal, especially if we're talking juvenile dogs. If you have a good set of 8 or 10x binoculars to spot your PDs, I don't think 15x fixed power is too much. I say go with the KT-15.

Back