260 Remington

Bearcat 74

I asked on the Big Game forum what the best bullet for the 260 would be and got it narrowed down to the 120gr BT or a TSX. This will be a deer gun with maybe a hog or two, shots 300yds and under. I don't reload, if I were to buy factory should I go with Remington, Federal, or Nosler? I noticed Nosler loads show they are faster than the Rem loads. Anyone have any experience with Nosler loaded ammo?

I could probably find someone to reload around here, would that make the round come alive even more?

Thanks

remington premire (not core-lokt) 120 gr. ballistic tip, has worked for me from deer up to a 350lb and a 380 lb black bear. never had a problem with the stopping power, and accuracy. but if you want to use factory ammo, try several different brands. find what shoots best.

Last edited:
Your reply is about like the rest for stopping power. I really wasn't impressed with the 140's I was shooting and have never used a BT on deer. These 120's out of the 260 must live on a steady diet of salt and razor blade soup, because it sounds like they got the raw arse when it comes to killing stuff.

Being totally new to BT's on deer, do you want to hit shoulder blade or no?

My A-Bolt in .260Remington LOVES 120gr. Federal Premium Ballistic Tips. I have killed 3 deer & one 196lb. hog with this rifle & load and none of the animals took more than 2 steps. Shots ranged from 60yds to 190yds. Upon cleaning/processing, it looked like the inside of the chest cavity on all the kills had been turned to mush. In other words, great terminal performance.

Others may disagree but I had terrible accuracy problems with the 120gr. Remington loads (their version of the "ballistic tip"). Groups were literally 4" at 100yds. With the Federal rounds my groups are under an inch for 5 shots @ 100yds.

Last edited:
federal premium is a good load, but I have fell in love with the remington premier accutip, dont know if thats available in 260, but my 270 loves it. REm and Fed both load Nosler bullets as well i believe.

I used the 120gr Rem ACCU tips last doe season, worked well out to 200yds. I don't know if I would shoot at shoulder with them, I would load or find some custom ammo with nosler partions just to be safe. Thats my plan for next season.

I have two rifles in 260 Rem. One is the Browning A-Bolt and the other is a custom build off of an XP100R. I have shot both the 120 gr. BT and 140gr. partition on multiple deer. I am not a fan of the Partition bullet, but the 120 gr. BT did just fine. The is definitely my pet caliber. I prefer to reload and yes you will get better accuracy and performance by doing this. This year I will be shooting the 130 gr. Swift Scirocco.

I have a Rem. Model 7 SS in 260 Rem and have excellent performance the H4350 and Sierra 120 gr. Spitzers. I also like the 85 gr, Sierra HP for smaller, varmint sized animals. For some unexplainable reason this light barrel shoots these loads within an inch of each other out to 200 yards. I see no need to use expensive bullets on deer in my locality. Possibly see using them on a once in a lifetime trip with a lot of money invested, but the Sierras make em just as dead possibly quicker than the premiums.
YMMV JMHO

I also have a Rem. Mod.7 SS in .260....I load for mine too, and I shoot the 129gr. Hornady spire point for deer...This is a middle of the road weight too, not too light, not too heavy. It'll put a quarter-sized hole exiting anything! I'm not a fan for ballistic tips for big game...lead tips in Hornady and Sierra have always laid down the game for me! gobblr addict

Last edited:
mine is a ruger m77 compact. i shot several different brands, but the rem. accutip 120 grain was by far the most accurate, 1/2" or better. now my bestfriend/hunting partner has the identical rifle, his is over an inch with the accutips. i dont reload the 260 yet but i have the dies, havent opened them up yet, but i will real soon. i just love the caliber, but out of my rifle i dont need any more than the 120 gr. rem. premire accutips, in the way of accuracy, and killing power. it wouldnt be my first pick for a moose trip, but it works on anything im gonna hunt in Pa.

Bearcat my personal feeling is you are not going to get the full potential out of your .260 without reloading for it. If you could find someone to reload and be there it may just get you into reloading it isn't that hard. With some good used equipment it isn't than much money.

I would suggest a Hornady 129 Gr. Interlock for the animals and the range you mention.

I harvested a nice six point bull elk this year with a remington xp 100r in .260 rem. I used a Nosler 120 grain BT teamed up with some reloader 19.

I actually found a guy to reload around here. We are going to try some H4350 and I am going to try the 120BT and the 125 partition, the 129gr Hornaday intrests me also.

Thanks for all the help

Yes clayman90, I taped the ballistics to the stock....spent time on the range confirming drops, and lasered the bull at 210 yards before I ever took the shot. One shot behind the shoulder....it ran about 50 yards and dropped. The velocity was 2518 so jacket separation was not a concern.

Back