Feral/Domestic Cats

Critter_Gitter

I just finished reading an article on feral and domestic cats in a recent predator magazine. This article peaked my intrest due the information regarding how destructive these "House Cats" maybe. I also noticed that several ducks (like 12) had during the season seemed to disappear from garage between the time I put them there and the time I returned to clean them after taking care of my gear. After close observation I realized that the source was several cats that had learned how to invade my garage and make off with my prized meal and make it their own. Well I now have a score to settle with the nieghborhood [beeep] problem and invite views from others as to the eradication process.

Paul

I had a problem with feral cats where I used to live and I started trapping them with a live, humane trap and sending them to the SPCA. Got rid of the problem after a few months and 12 cats later. I am sure that most of them were put down. Now, where I live, if I ever have a problem, I will start shooting them. But, usually the yotes beat me to them.

I started trapping them and after that didnt seem to make a diffrence I started shooting them. most of my neioghbors dont like the over popluation of cats either. The animal control officer wont deal with cats, dogs sure but he just cant handel all the cats that are running around here.

Get an Airedale.
If he doesn't kill them on sight, he'll chase them so far that they will never come back.

End of problem.

I used to catch them with a live trap and use them to train my hounds for running bobcats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. If that supply dwindled, I went to the local Humane Society and got them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Pretty soon they figured out that I had other intentions for them other than "barn" cats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. They were not happy and cut off my supply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Narrow minded folks they were /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif.

Quote:
Get an Airedale.
If he doesn't kill them on sight, he'll chase them so far that they will never come back.

End of problem.

Lmbo have one cat killinest dog there ever was /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greg223,

You are hilarious! And i agree those people were very narrow minded.I mean -->>hello this dog needs trained--hello

I'm going to get an airedale someday once i get settled in in ft. collins.ME

Handle any way that you won't get caught doing.
I used to like cats. Then I moved to this neighborhood and had nothing but trouble with the free roaming/feral cats up here. Anyone that lets a cat run loose there isn't a punishment severe enough for them.

On any ranch I hunt I ask the rancher about feral cats (and dogs) as well as coyotes. Sometimes they want the cats shot, sometimes not.

I used to live trap them out of my parents' boat/RV storage sheds. They'd get in and make a mess out of customer's boats. In our area in Eastern NM, barn cats were coyote and owl food, so ranchers were usually happy to have the replacements.

I got game hunting privileges on several ranches by giving them barn cats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Panhed....tell me more about 220 body grip trap. This sounds like fun (Idon't have to much trapping exp.).....The other ideas of live trapping and then using the 4s method sounds good also....anybody ever eaten one? There must be some ethnicly diversified cat hunters out there..... Really don't think much of the cats so maybe a tasty dish would change my mind, LOL

Paul

I'm sure some folks have eaten them... We had a bunch of orientals open a new restaurant in the city where I used to work and the health department, following up on a complaint, found several cat remains in the dumpster.. It was never determined if a competitor put them there or if they were actually part of the menu.
My wife and I owned/operated a B&B after I first retired and a neighbor had 17 cats hanging around (they denied owning more than 3). After a couple of the cats began attacking some of our customers, I started live trapping them, taking them across the river and giving them underwater swimming lessons. I must be a poor instructor as 13 of the 14 failed their underwater test.

I agree with Panhed. This may not make sense, but here goes. Take a 5gal pail and cut 2 slots about 5" down from the top, one across from the other. The slots are for the springs on the 220 bodygripper (Conibear) trap. After looking at the trap you will understand the need for and placement of the slots. Lay the bucket on it's side. The slots will be at 9:00 and 3:00 if you look at the opening like a clock face. Put your bait of choice in the rear of the bucket. Tuna works well. Set the Conibear and slide the springs into the slots. Secure it well. I tip the back of the bucket up slightly to keep rain water from settling in it. Works nicely. Check it often. Bring your shovel!!!

I WOKE UP ONE MORNING BACK IN THE SEVENTIES TO THE SOUND OF MY OWN .264 MAGNUM GOIN' OFF IN THE HOUSE, AND STRANGE LAUGHTER.
FOUND MY EX HAD IT BENCHED ON THE DINING ROOM TABLE WITH THE SLIDING GLASS DOORS OPEN.
SHE WAS SOLVING THE PROBLEM OF FERAL CATS TAKING HER BABY DUCKS.
GAWDS! THAT THING WAS LOUD IN THE HOUSE!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Money_shot and Panhed...I think I maybe getting a conibear soon. After looking at threads from here I found the bucket set on trapsforkids link. Looks like a mean kitty killing machine...Kudos!! Now it looks like I need to meet up with CatShooter at the "Peking Moon" and get a good recipe. And 222Shooter will have to stop by and show us the proper way to "eat one"!!! OldTurtle keep up the swimming lessons looks like at least one learned, hopefully the some shooting lessons followed the swimming instruction!!!

Paul

Back