When do you stop and let them breed?

JimF

I was wondering if you stop hunting them and let them reproduce. I just started in January, and I am done, due to fishing. So for me its not that I stopped for them to breed. Let me know about your thoughts on this.

It's just about getting too warm to call for much longer. I may continue until the 2nd. I want to get in one or two more nights of good dark night calling.

Farmers and ranchers don't let up on coyotes. They hate coyotes and chase them around all year long.

Recreational hunters love having coyotes to hunt. They give them a break and allow them to breed in peace. This will insure a fresh crop of coyotes to hunt in the coming Fall.

Most of our neighbors have no issues with 'otes. Houses ..... and orchards. Thus there is little hunting pressure. The rate that 'otes infiltrate onto our ranch is far faster than our feeble attempts to thwart them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So we never give up ..................
.....just don't ever seem to catch up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Three 44s

Last edited:
I generally don't hunt predators from the first of March until the end of August or first part of September. This year I've been asked to do some predation control so I'll probably hunt off and on throughout the summer. I really prefer to let the animals raise their young in peace though.

Nasa hit the nail on the head. Most recreational callers let the young be born and raised for next years enjoyment.

As Weasel does, I don't hunt from now until late October unless a rancher calls and asks for help.

I have only 2 friends that are ranchers. I've been out predator calling with them in the late Fall. They don't (normally) hunt them during denning season either. Neither have ever said that they've had a springtime "problem" with coyotes.

Oh, they see the coyotes working around the cows during calving, but they aren't worried. They know they're just looking for scraps of afterbirth, or the occasional stilborne. So far, they haven't bothered any live calves. But if they ever did, I wouldn't hesitate to drive out and help them control the "problem". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

We have had coyotes den right in the pasture we are grazing. Near the den those 'otes busted their chops and killed a 1 1/2 month old calf ....... 150 pounds worth.

The reason they do this is that they can bring the pups right to the dinner table. Mom gets a little break and the pups get a jump.

It has happened more than once.

On a different senario, the cows need to be re-bred for next years calf. If a mother gets too involved with romancing issues the calf is vulnerable. One one such occasion ........ a two month old calf got drilled.

Three 44s

I'm not sure how many yote's we have here in PA, but for some reason, our season is 365/24/7/unlimited. Either they are hard to get, or we have way too many. After I get my first one called in, maybe I'll know myself.

Most people in Maine pursue them in the fall and winter but they are never passed up as targets of opportunity. Most every person with land in Maine hates coyotes and they will shoot everyone they see. I let up on them only because the hides aren't any good in the breeding season and I am fishing, not because I want them to breed in peace. I would rather get rid of all the yotes and get our fox and deer populations back.

Since I am mostly a recreational coyote hunter who likes to bring a little extra cash by selling their primed hides, my coyote hunting usually starts in late October when the hides are primed up and ends about the last week of February or first week of March when the hides begin to get rubbed. I have called and shot female coyotes the first week March that had embryos in the womb. The fur on that female was still prime.

Like Mike Granger, about the only time I pursue coyotes outside the months of prime fur is if I get a depradation call from a rancher friend. I have one rancher friend who looks at coyotes as one method to control (somewhat) the deer population around his ranch. Deer can be real hard on the tame hay these ranchers put up.

The rest of this post is about some of the trials and tribulations ranchers must put up with when deer begin feeding on their hay. Most of these ranchers store these hay bales in stacks and when winter snows make it tough for deer to find food, these deer will begin feeding on these hay bales. They often jump up on top of the stacks of hay bales and deficate and urinate on the hay. This action will sometimes make the hay unacceptable to the cattle. The deer will often ruin way more hay than they eat. Our ND Game & Fish Dept. will give the ranchers some supplies to build fences around the stacks of hay bales, but these fences are usually too little and too late.

Some of you might ask, "why don't these ranchers build enclosed building or open-sided pole sheds with roofs on them to keep the rain out and woven wire around the outside to keep the deer out?" Sounds like a good idea. However, the insurance companies that sell the insurance policies ranchers buy to guard their valuable hay against fire and other forms of destruction will only allow them to have a small quantity of hay in one enclosure. So, these ranchers would have to build maybe dozens of such buildings to house and protect their hay. That's enough prattling on that subject.

Silverfox,

They need to find a different insurance company. I'm an agent who represents several different companies and none of them limit the amount of hay you can have in one place or one enclosure or building.

Wish I was licensed in ND. Sounds like some money to be made out there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Randy

Randy,

Does your "Insurance Company" sell such policies in Washington State????

I need to let the paltry number of deer alone to feed our burgeoning cougar herd BUT ELK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif...... now we are talking here!!!!

LOL!!

Three 44s

iondoyle, you do have a point and a very good one at that, lol.
here in michigan are season open's on july 15th and run's in my area till november 14th then take's a two week break during firearm deer season (i am in the north west lower, the dnr tell's every one we don't have wolf's around here, but yet they close yote season so no one shoot's a wolf, the same way in the upper as well, but they planted wolf's there). it reopen's december 1st then run's till april 15th. night hunting open's october 15th, witch at night we can only use rimfire's, and then close's march 1st on state land, march 31 on privet land.
for me i hunt them from the opener till close. but i suck at calling them in and to date i have only called in one and she never walked away from it. now if i was calling one in every 10 set's or so i would hold off a little and only hunt them during the summer when my kid's want to go. but till i get good if it ever happen's i will hunt them when ever i can.
bow

Here in VA they are a nuisance species, not a game species. Why on earth would anyone want to let them breed? That would be like a big city tenement landlord telling a tenant there will be no spraying this month in order to allow the roaches to breed. LOL. If I stop, it will be because, a) there are no more, or b) it is too wet or cold for me outside.

Back