Lion season in Oklahoma?

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. This thread got me to post. I live in rural Caddo County. I know, its all rural out here. My wife and her friend saw one hit 2 miles west of Verden a couple months ago. They stopped and looked at it. My dad just saw one on his farm last week. My neighbor has lost 6 calves and his son saw a mt lion on their ranch. Since he hasnt been able to find any remains of the calves he thinks a cat got them and drug them off. Two farmers that live a few miles away were sitting in front of my house one day and later stated they were watching a big cat walk across the field. There is a taxidermist named Rocky Wilson in Ft Cobb, he has had a few people quietly ask if he would work on one. I dont think a lot of people know how unpopulated some areas of this state still are. I live 5 miles from a town of 600 people. The gravel road in front of my house runs 11 miles, from one black top road to another. There are 7 houses on the 11 mile road with 6 of us being in a 2 mile section. Most of the section roads here are dirt or gravel with no homes on them. You can walk for miles thru timber and creek bottoms without ever passing a house. I have deer, turkey, pigs, rabbits, dove, quail, skunks, coons and tons of coyotes passing thru my yard day and night. Last night I went out back because the coyotes sounded like they were coming in the back door, I lit the area up with a 10 million candle power spot light and never saw so many coyotes in my life. It was like something from a sci-fi movie. I have to start hunting them.

Mike, about the only thing still going in Verden is 2 gas stations and Vivians Dinner. Thanks for the welcome.

CPO,
I was there when the old grocery just east of the school store burned down. An old couple owned it I think. A real loss, and "cokes" were a nickel at the station right across from the school. My nieces and nephews went to school there too.

We lived out east of town near the washita river. Me and dad spent a lot of time on the river banks.

That Bill is already LAW here. And our new Law regarding Illegal Immigration is in place, enforced, and defeated it's first legal challenge.

I have an associate our here who has located lion tracks near Cogar Oklahoma south of I-40 and north of Chichasha.

All you have to do is report your kill to a Game Ranger who examines the carcass and may take on tooth.

Will be real interesting so see how this goes.

Sam III

Hey, I may go by Verden to see if they have a good convenience store there since I may want to stock up out there if I stay on the hunt very long. I have four days a week off these days and could take all 7 if somethings working.

It's a real kick to hear that there are so many predators close to where I am.

Sam III

If you want to take advantage of Toby Keith's offer of a free meal @ Toby Keith's BAR AND GRILL down in Lower Bricktown. It's a cheeseburger I am told. I saw one guy walk out of there and his haircut told me he was a soldier and later when he drove off I saw the CIB on his Oklahoma License Plate. All by himself. Where are all the patriotic ladies?

I got some mail from a Game Ranger here who though skeptical of the success of an open season all year for mountain lion says he thinks it is a way to find our for sure with hard data just how many and where they are. They are probably keeping our huge deer herd from taking over the highways. It's hard to find anyone around here who does'nt know someone whose hit a deer with their car.

Sam III

Check out the new Regulations on Page 25.

I guess they would'nt have a big announcement on something so low profile as an open season on mountain lion. The Depredation requirement I hear won't be hard to prove in that area about the Canadian River south of I-40.

I hope everyone reports their kills as required to keep the count correct.

Sam III

But there are some apparently going unreported looks like. I can see why people would not want to go to the trouble of notifying the game people when the deed is already done. DO you think this kind of data is shared on line immediately among those who keep the statistics?

It's be interesting to see how it goes!

Why do you think they are going unreported? If they report the cat then they get to keep the cat. If they don't report it and it is found out by the game warden then they probably don't get to keep it. You can't believe everything you hear.

On a related note,somewhat;I was requested by a work buddy to come out to his and neighbor's place to try to remove some coyotes that had taken approx. 6 sheep out of their herd up near Okarche.The night before I hunted this area,these same 'coyotes' had killed a 900 lb. steer that had been penned up with a lame foot.You heard right,a 900 lb. steer with nothing but a lame foot.The steer was able to to move around and walk,just not real quick.Apparently.Unfortunatly,I didn't get a chance to see the steer or the pen.
In hind sight,glad I didn't call in a 'yote that ,even with help,can take down a 900 lb. steer.

Wonder if they could incentivize the prompt (24 hours) reporting of kills, either by road kill like one down near Cogar lately, or by hunters. Having any kind of season won't help much if they compile no good statistics. I've given up trying to figure out the psychology of this.

Could'nt find those tracks down there today but it's pretty steep hills, high sandstone walls, and very thick cover.

Sam III

yotes are gettin to be a big big problem,I was told by a ranger and ODW(but check with your local ranger) that yotes are 24/7 now,but NO artifical Light,
on the main subject I got 3 differnt sizes of cat tracks on my lease and 6 differnt hunters and no luck yet,GAWD them cats are hard to hunt...

Quote:
That is interesting. I have lived here "Oklahoma" for 35 years. Spent alot of time in woods all over Oklahoma and have never sen a mtn lion. I have never heard from a reliable source about anyone actually seeing one. I would think with all the game cameras that are out there. someone would have got a pic by now. Not saying there are not any here but I have never seen, seen pics or hear about anyone actually seeing one. I would love to have a season on them.

I have lived in N.E. oklahoma my whole live (43 yrs.)ever since i can remember i have seen tracks and actually have seen alot of these cats.I have seen 2 black ones,I lived in northern tulsa county,one black one crossed the road (2lane)county road,tail and all he almost reached across the whole road.he wasn't in a hurry either,we got a real good look at it.I now live in southern washington county,and have seen 1 black one,and one blonde one while bowhunting for whitetail.the encounter was at approx.at twenty yards,I have red fox cover scent on and he was looking up in the tree's with the wind hitting him in the face,that's spooky.Osage county is right next door we have seen several on the swim beach at tall cheif cove (lake skiatook)it was just a few years back less than 12 that the department of wildlife in oklahoma would deny any such spottings,they lied period.Go hunt osage county for awhile nboost,it will happen no doubt,my hunting buddies girlfriend had on under her stand last year in pawhuska,and it walked up a broken off tree right beside her,she hasn't been back.

Back