Homemade E-Caller/ UPDATED PLEASE READ POST!!!!

Grunter

Hi Guys!

This is my first post on this forum. Just thought Id share this with you.
Just finished up my first caller and Im very happy with the results. I listened to the foxpros at Gander and I think mine sounds clearer and if I want Louder.

I took my son today to sight in a new 17hmr and played with the call in the woods for a few minutes. It sounds so good! I played with the volume and think im ready to do a few sets with it tommorow. Ill let you know how I make out.

Talk Soon, Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Very slick, Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

What did you use for the housing? It looks fantastic.

Rick

Thanks Mr. Bee,

I hacked up a water jug that I found at a sports store. I brought it up to show a couple of buddies at Gander. They could not believe it. They hunt yotes with a top of the line foxpro and they said mine blew them away! Im using mp3s that I remastered in Sony Acid music studio. I then load them up on to the Iriver mp3 player. The manager asked if I could whip up a few more to sell at the store, and one they could use as a store demo. I will work on them next week after I get some sit-time in with the prototype.

Thanks for having a peek, Dave

Thanks again,

G man, I used the radio shack mini-amp, The speco sp-5 horn and an Iriver mp3 player to drive it.The Gander mtn jug bottom was a perfect fit for the 5" horn. Only problem I had was attaching the speaker to the jug. I tried a couple of different epoxy's and adhesive's but none held up under load. I ended up with a two part epoxy for plastics and used six 1/2" black screws sent through the bell into the jug. I aint going nowhere now!! The pics were taken before the final product was complete. I also added a nice handle made from 1" black nylon stap and a camo cloth surround.

I am setting up a remote system for it as we speek. Ill let you know how it works when im done.

Dave

I went to radio shack here in Brunswick Ga and asked for a mini amp and the clerk had no clue anymore than I did what I was talking about. Could someone pass along a part number to help a novice out.
Thanks for any help

""I brought it up to show a couple of buddies at Gander. They could not believe it. They hunt yotes with a top of the line foxpro and they said mine blew them away!"" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Browning204, I just find it too funny how you love to see anything remotely negitive about Foxpro.

Nice job Grunter, but I don't see it on the picute gallery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Later,

Scott

Not me, just another fine tool in the arsonal, one that I am glad I own, right along with all of my handcalls, each have a place and a time.

Happy hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Later,

Scott

Grunter,

I was not able to see the caller on your website. It sounds like you built yourself a nice unit. I would like to see the speaker that you are using, as the small ones on the FX3 are great speakers, but the unit is completely different with large speakers plugged in. That is the way that we intended it to be. Compact if you want it to be, or very loud if you plug in the extra speakers. I would also like to know what the store employees where using as a comparison, as the FX3 is about as clear as you can get, and we have only sold one of the FX3's to the store in NY (a snow camo one) that was a special order for a customer. Were they comparing it to the 416?

browning204,

No comment.

AfricaPredator,

Gods? I certainly hope not. We just have a great reputation, and an easy target for others. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time. We have learned to look past the criticism that some like to give, and continue doing what it is we do best.

Mike Dillon

FOXPRO, Inc.
"The Caller of the Wild"

The True Leader.
Often imitated, never equaled!

Here is my Fx3. mike got me set up with the big foxpro speaker. i'll be calling cougar's from big long Ridge's in the high country.it is so much more real sounding.and yes i like my foxpro great service. i get thing's at Radio shack .kinda hard sometime's young people working there dont know much. good luck. Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

DSC00243.jpg

I officially Stand corrected.

I meant no offence to Foxpro or anyone here using there products. I THOUGHT my homemade rig was pretty good work and sounded nice. I have since actually had the opportunity to listen to a Foxpro call and it is by and far superior in every aspect. I am not sure which model the boys at Gander were comparing it to but they must have been smoking some real good stuff when they said mine sounded better. It does work well but has no-where near the range and clarity.

As you read on top this was my first post here when I just started getting interested in varmits and hunting them.I built mine just for the challange and to be able to say I did it my-self. Ive stuck around and have learned an incredible amount of stuff from you guys. Again I hope I have not rubbed anyone here the wrong way. I will no doubt be a Fox-Pro owner by the end of this summer.

3rd Alarm, I lost my harddrive a couple weeks ago and was in the prosses of re-doing my PWS so all the pics that were uploaded are history. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mike, You guys are top notch! I look forward to owning an FX-3 or FX-5 soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Crapshoot, was not BS, just the ramblings of an un-informed newbie. Please except my apologies.

Dave

Grunter,

I really appreciate and respect your update. That speaks a ton for your character. No offense was taken at all to your prior post. I think it's great that you were able to build your own unit. If I can ever be of assistance to you, just let me know. And, I think you are making a great choice on the FX series of callers!

Thanks again, Grunter.

Mike Dillon

FOXPRO, Inc.
"The Caller of the Wild"

The True Leader.
Often imitated, never equaled!

Back