12 gauge or 20 gauge for pheasent???

Camo

My dad and I are going to be going on our first pheasent hunts in November. We both have a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge. I was wondering what you guys think would be the better gun and what size shot you reccomend.

Thanks
-Curt

I do more pheasant hunting, than anything else. I use both, a 12 and a 20 gauge. I shoot over/unders in both guages. In the 12, I shoot improoved cylinder and modified, with 2 3/4" #5s. In the 20, I shoot improoved cylinder and modified, with 2 3/4" #6s. I hunt over English Setters and use the 20, early in the season, when the birds are holding tight. I get the 12 out later in the season, when the birds aren't holding as well.

Either gun is suitable, all season long. My dad shoots a 28 gauge on occasion, with #6s, but it is a little light for my taste.

If it is your first time, take the 12, they are a very hearty bird.

Enjoy,

GrouseSetter

camarat-R2-000-X.jpg

Last edited:
I used them both this past season. The 20ga is really deadly on the big birds and so much easier to carry than a big 12ga. But, my favorite is a 16ga.It just fits the pheasant niche. I like #5 shot in the 12ga and #6 in every thing else. One of my buds was knocking them dead with #8 dove loads. I don't recommend it though.

I'd recommend the 12 gauge if you are not experienced bird hunters, but if you shoot trap and birds regularly and will be hunting over good pointing dogs I would personally hunt with the 20. I enjoy hunting with my 20 o/u more than my 12 pump gun for upland. The 12 will give you just a bit more room for error though.

if i could use one shotgun for phesant it would hands down be the 28g not even a question...but since u asked about he 12 or 20 i suggest a 20 with #5 shot...works well and even if u dont make a text book shot the #5 puts um down in a hurry

This is your first hunt. If you'll be hunting wild birds, I'd take what gives you the best odds of success. That would be the 12 gauge. Use 5 shot, that is if you are interested in taking some home with you. It will knock them down out to 50 yards. Try that with anything less and your rock them a little and they'll keep flying.

If you are shooting pen raised birds use whatever you like they are easy to kill.

In my opinion the smaller gauges work fine, but you limit the kind of shots that you can be effective with. If this is your first hunt I wouldn't limit myself.

My brother and I shoot over 100 wild pheasants per year. We go a little to the extreme, but it works. We use 4 shot 3" magnums. It doesn't just knock them down at 60 yards, it kills them. We do this because we don't have dogs and don't have good enough noses ourselves to track them down in 4 foot high CRP. Many of our shots are the 50 yard variety. If we shot smaller guns we would not even consider that shot, but with the loads we use we are extremely effective. We only wounded and lost 4 or 5 birds this year out of 115. At close range it doesn't tear them up any worse that 2 3/4 inch shells.

We live and hunt in Kansas. Its wide open and windy. The cover dictates we use what we use. In tighter cover where there is closer shots we wouldn't go to the extremes that we do, but we like to take a few home.

Last edited:
Back