Remington Model 700 LVSF .221 Fireball

newhornet

Does anyone have this particular rifle and if so what type of accuracy can I expect with factory ammo, and what type of hand load for coyotes and what accurate handload, please. Thank you for any input. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Although I don't have the LVSF I do have the LS. If I only had a digital camera! you would like the groupings, but I don't so you would have to take my word for it. I have not shoot factory rds yet, probably will not, I reload. With that in mine it average 1/2 inch or better! You will not be DISAPOINTED!!! If only they would make one in a CDL mid weight barrel I would buy another.

Thanks for the replies. Doe, what is your barrel length and could you please tell me what load you're using? Thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have this model in the fireball. The factory ammo I tried was the hsm very accurate. The handloads I have tried using 40 grain nosler with 10X,h-335,lil gun, with mixed results still working up loads for the most consistent groups I'm also going to go to try the berger bullets as well. You will love this round ot's fun and cheap to shoot. Haven't connected with a coyote yet but I am sure it will do the job. Good luck and enjoy this fine round.

Try 57gr Calhoon DHP's or 52gr Hornady A-Max over 17.5 grains of AA1680. Also 42gr Calhoon DHPs over the same powder load. I got a 5/8" 5 shot group with my CZ527 American right out of the box with the 42gr Calhoon load. I have also used the 57gr Calhoons in a Cooper Model 21 Varminter to shoot in competition out to 385 meters (417 yards) with 2nd place results against a tough field. The 57gr load has been chronographed on 4 separate occasions with the following results: 3048 (10 shot avg), 3043 (5 shot avg), 3054 (5 shot avg) and 3048 (5 shot avg). How's that for speed from a 57gr bullet...and extraordinary consistency. These were all fired from the Cooper, which has a 24" barrel. I affectionately call this rifle "Mighty Mouse" (because of its capability with this cartridge. If you are interested in a real bargain, check out the CZ527 American. I got mine for $469.95 from J & G Sales in Prescott, AZ. Mini-Mauser type action, free-floated barrel, beautiful European walnut stocks, scope rings included, and (most important) a single set trigger for accuracy work. You can check out CZ by logging on to www.cz-usa.com. The fireball in a rifle is an amazing cartridge which loads like a dream and will not break the bank or wear out barrels when shot frequently. Hope this helps.

I don't have the LVSF but do have the Classic, XP-100's, and CZ's. They all shoot well. If you get a .221 that does not shoot something is wrong with it or you! My rifles like 40gr V-maxs in front of H4227.

How prevalent is factory ammo for the fireball? I saw a brand new LVSF for $600 and am thinking about picking it up, but I am not a reloader...Do you think this round is going to be around in factory ammo for the long haul? I love the looks and ballistics of this gun...

Hey archer204,
Not too sure about commercial loaded ammo sources, but the Fireball has been around since 1963 and seems to be enjoying a revival since some factory rifles have begun chambering for it recently (Remington, CZ, Cooper, Dakota). It started life as THE original chambering for the Remington XP-100 (bolt action) pistol. It is essentially a Rem 222 case stortened .3" from 1.7" to the Fireball's 1.4" case length. What you get is one fine shootin' rifle cartridge with NO recoil and a small appetite for powder that is good out to 400+ yards in the right rifle with the right load. The Fireball case is also the parent case for the 17 Mach IV and the 20 VarTarg. Both of these are well established wildcats with 4000+ FPS velocity from less than 20 grains of powder. If this intrigues you, you better start reloading cause when the bug bites you you're hooked for life!!! But it's better than golf, and golf balls to a precision shooter are just good targets. Good luck with your quest. Hope this helps NEWHORNET too.

ae...thanks for the info...I've been through the reloading thing with the shotgun...enjoyed it, but I REALLY don't need another hobby right now! I am an avid bowhunter, I love guns and believe it or not golf (I am a 3 handicap)...The only thing that drags me away from golf now is bow season! So, you feel the factory loads will be around...

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Doe, what is your barrel length and could you please tell me what load you're using? Thanks again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got this load out of the (NOSLER #4) and used the sierra 40gr/hp. I used the starting load 17gr of RL 7, and just played with seateing depth pushing over 2800 fps, my best shot was .250". still expermenting...gots Berger/Nolser/Hornady/Barnes/Winchester....LOTS of bullets to play with still. This will be my Comp-Gun. I floated the barrel and did the triger job on it so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I might get the 700 ss model for hunting. (LET GET THE FIRE GOING!!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Back