MN February moon hunting reports.

Gotta make room in the fur freezer for the next moon hunt so Me and a budy went to willmar to sell some coyotes yesterday.

Of course we brought our hunting gear along. On the way I spotted a coyote on the ice about 3/4 mile off the road. Pulled in and got permission. Eli went one way and I went the other. As I was walking I spotted the coyote only 170yds walking right at me so I stopped and thought, finnaly....It's been too long since I killed one. I'm not in a good spot to shoot so I wait for an opportunity to get the clear steady shot. Just then, I hear a random gun shot go off about 3/4 a mile away. The coyote bolts and I run up and lay my gun accross the fence. The fence starts to bounce, I squeel loud with my diaphram, it stops, I take a very unsteady and low percentage shot and miss.

Continue to the fur co. and get $70 for 5 coyote furs on the carcass. Not bad.

On the way home I spot a fox on the edge of a swamp we dont have permission for. Then I spotted two coyotes trotting nervousely across a very small lake. We parked on the other side of the lake on the side of the road and sat on the edge of the ice to call, only about 500yds from where we had seen them. We must have bumped'em out cause they never came.

Then we spotted a fox between 2 farm yards but no one was home.

We actually called 3 spots last night too. First spot Eli had a fox come in on his side. And at 103yds he missed. Either of us could hardly believe it. Eli is deadly with his .243. He has killed 7 predators this season by spot and stalk only. He's by far one of the best hunters and shots I know. But it felt kinda good to see some one else miss for a change and I let him know it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Only saw one durring the day light hours,The rest were under the moon.

Saw 6, missed 2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Last edited:
Phil, you weren't wearing your sunglasses were you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Went out last night and made a couple of sets. The first spot I went to the wind was wrong, so I tried the locater and had some howl back. I went to a spot where the wind would be better and it had switched, but was still good for this spot. Got a pretty good scare. I was about three minutes into calling when I hear something coming fast from behind, I start to turn when I hear a growl so at the same time I start to stand up. I had called in two dogs. This all happened in about three seconds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thankfully they were just a scared as I was. When I stood up the closest one was only seven paces from me. That should keep me on my toes this weekend.

I shot 2 grey fox on Monday 2/6 near st cloud. Shot one at 9 pm it was circling down wind of me about 10 yards. At the shot it jumped 3 ft up in the air came down running. So i kept calling for 10 min. Went to look and it died 15 yards from where i shot it. Then went to some state land and sat down and started calling at 9:48 and shot the other one at 10:02 About 25 yards away. The last one came in down wind also. Will be out again tonight!

I've been trying to get a fox but can't seem to connect. Could you give me a few tips...what call did you use...what type of cover are you hunting? You can PM me if that would be better for you. Thanks!

Do you guys have snow in your area's you are hunting? We don't have much left.Is it possible to see them with this moon & dirt/snow conditions? Thank's

Went out last night again for a couple of hours and only saw a fox while driving. I have had good luck getting responses while locating though.

I still say all that locating is hurting the hunting. Each time they hear you howl and then associate that howl with the sound of a pickup truck they will be that much cautious when they think about coming to your calls (howls) when you are trying to hunt them.

This practice is just like driving down the road with a distress sound playing on your truck radio and shooting out the window every couple hundred yards.

The more naive you can keep the critters in your area, the more you will kill. Anything that educates them makes them tougher to get!

Take some binos on a sunny day and drive the countryside. Look for cover and look for tracks and prey animals. That's scouting. If you find cover, tracks and prey animals, you'll find the coyotes.

Sorry for the rant and I'm not picking on you in particular. It's just that this is a detrimental practice that hurt not only you but everyone else who is out there trying to kill these things.

Randy

My uncle has been trapping on parts of his farm now for 3 years. Never anyone bothered to try and call for them before last Sunday. Since then, his son's have tlked aobut going out with a call and seeing if they can bring in the two I saw I Sunday and spooked.

My uncle in his wisdom told them not to try it. I had already made plans to go out again on Friday or Saturday depending on work with a DIFFERENT call from what I used last weekend.

My wife and mom are already seeing instant b-day and Christmas presents, Predator calls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not only have I learned it here, but also after getting out. Use different calls, different locations and avoid any unnecassary calling if you can.

Mr. Wile E. Coyote is a sneaky pete. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was set up on a farm field of picked corn, Was using johnney stewart fc-1 fox distress hand call. Also to get attention away from me I had my preymaster 60 ft away w/rodent distress in. Had a lot of small thick brush behind me. The second one was against a pine stand along a plowed field. Same call same result. Last night I called in a coyote with same call. Sat down blew one breath, I was facing where I thought something would come from, mistake! Coyote came to my far right I heard steps, looked there it was 20 feet! So my mistake I sqeeked and he looked I turned bumped branch he ran, I howled to stp hm I shot and only hit fur no blood followed tracks for 5oo yds done. Time spent at stand 5 min. still need a yote. 3 greys though.

Paintcan came out last night and we called 5 spots. First spot had one circle way down wind. Did'nt even know it till we were walking out and cut the tracks. This yote crossed our tracks and never skipped a beat. He also never turned to come to the call and judging by the tracks he was on a regular walk. WEIRD.

2nd-3rd spots nothing.

4th spot
Kim started with some pup howls from his E-caller and we got an immediate response from two adults about maybe half a mile. After they clammed up he did some different pup howls and also a distress.
Between 5 and 10 mins. A yote popped up over a draw and stood looking towards the caller and also looked behind him a couple times. At that point I caught a glimpse of another yote in the distance.
Now, it's dead calm and this yote is only 70yds away. I need to adjust my rifle and take him. I move as slow and quiet as I can and it picks me out. Down below the draw it goes. Kim hits a distress again and nothing, Then he does another pup howl and another.
Now I see the yote at the bottom of the hill. Pick it up in the scope and its posturing and scratching in the snow. I steady myself and at 150yds, I shoot, scoring a clean miss. I dont get another shot.
Lets move on shall we.

5th spot we had a single coyote howl back from about 3 miles.

I guess if my phone rings and some one wants to go tonight I'll probly call a couple spots, but other wise I'm gonna rest up for tommorow nights hunt. It's gonna be a long one.

Called 37 spots now and called in 10 animals. 4 of those have died and 2 easy shots were missed.

Kim is a great caller. If you're ever invited to hunt with him, Accept the offer.

Quote:
Do you guys have snow in your area's you are hunting? We don't have much left.Is it possible to see them with this moon & dirt/snow conditions? Thank's

We've got plenty of snow to see at night. I'd say you want about 80-90% snow cover if your gonna call at night. Make sure you set up in an area that will force them into an opening if they decide to come in.

Back