missed fox from the porch

jamesdogk

I've had a pair of fox hanging close to the house for the last month or so. We have a good rabbit population they've been trying to fill themselves on. So tonight I couldent sleep and came down stairs to take a looksee from the porch for predator eyes. Wouldnt ya know, two pair bobbin around out by the manure pile , which is approx. 80 yds. away.
At this point, w/ my heart going into over drive, I quietly went back in the house , retreated to the basement to collect equipment. Quickly loaded the shotgun w/ # 4 buck , grabbed the sqeeker and hurried back out to the porch.
When I squatted down low i could hear one of them in the field next door doing that little fox bark like it was chasing a rabbit. So i turned the light on and began to scan and sqeak .When the light illuminated the lawn to my right, about 60 yds. out, I saw one with his head down low as he stopped. So naturally I put the bead on him and pulled the trigger.
Next thing ya know, I'm on my a$$ w/ the light and the sqeaker on the deck, but holding tightly to the gun in the dark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif When my head stopped spinning in circles ,I put the light out back again , but did'nt see my prize.i saw some pellet marks in the snow where he was standing , but no blood or hair, when i checked out the situation closely . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
It was a pretty long shot but I could'nt pass it up.
Most of our snow pack is gone ,do to the warmer conditions, so when I look for him tomorrow in the daylight it might not not be to succesful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif
just thought it get the story on this post while it's still fresh in my fuzzy brain (3:40 am).
Talk to ya later
jim k /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quote:
It was a pretty long shot but I could'nt pass it up.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

dont know how i screwed it up.
checked it out in the daylight today after work, and didnt find a thing. looked through the brush, down all the trails and came up emptyhanded .
this was my first time calling anything in,besides crows and cats.
going out tonight w/ a hunting bud to call.

Quote:
dont know how i screwed it up.

I'm not really trying to bust your chops, but 60 yards is more than a "pretty long shot." It's a damn long shot! Have you ever patterned your shotgun at that range? Many shotguns throw a large enough pattern for a fox to walk through at that range. Maybe some research would be in order regarding shotguns, chokes, and loads. Using the SEARCH feature will give you a long evenings read from the archives about such. And some discretion and good judgement might save the day for you. Not to mention the animals you might shoot at and only wound unknowingly. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the way I see it from here.

not all of us here , have your level of experience taking predators,let alone at night. i dont take your words as harsh, im new to this game and come here for here for advice from guys like yourself. yes i have patterned the shotgun,but not at a distance that i could have misjudged in the dark.(was more like 40 yds. in daytime.)
nuff said,i feel excuses comming on.

jk

Back