Stupid Neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cody M

I as hunting on my friends land this weekend. he puts two small scoops of orn out in front of my stand...no big deal right?

well none of his neighbors like him because he shoots big bucks every year. So what happened was somone snuck on to his land and dumped a ton of corn by my stand, then they called the DNR and said he saw us baiting, well it turns out the wardens came in on opening day at 7:00 and ruined our opening day, they even had the newspaper with them and took a picture and video of a kid i was hunting with. Now their are seven stands that we cant hunt from all because some people framed us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

YHE ARNT THESE ANTI POACHING HOTLINES THE BEST THING EVER?it just makes it easy for [beeep]****** to cause problems for people without getting themselves involved,the F&G treats every tip as if it were a fact and writes tickets accordingly,they are turning people into thier little gestapo and many honest people pay the price for it.Sorry to hear about your pinhead neighbors I hope you dont have more trouble.

Maybe I am off on this one... But if baiting is illegal isn't all baiting illegal? Weither it is "Two Scoops" or a ton? If he was using corn in any amount and the neighbors knew, they had a right to be mad as he was unfairly attracking animals to his area. If there was that much corn on the ground shouldn't you have noticed. Weither you put it on the ground or someone else did it is still illegal to hunt over. You are responsible for your hunting and making sure it is legal. If someone told me that a chunk of private land was public and I hunted it, it is still my fault.

It sucks that you got framed I am sorry that your hunt was ruined. Hopefully you can prove the situation was not your fault or that the perp in this case gets brought to justice. Maybe investing in a trail camera could help. It was a chickenpoop thing to do. Next time I hope you catch the guy tresspassing.

Last edited:
Quote:
no big deal right?

If it's illegal, it's a big deal. You'll never be ashamed of taking game using completely legal methods. Breaking the law to take game is nothing to be proud of. Baiting is legal in some states and that's great. If it's not legal where you hunt, you shouldn't do it. There's nothing wrong with learning from your mistakes. It will make you a better person in the long run.
Live, learn and grow.

Depending on where you are in WI, I beleive you can bait up two 2 gallons of bait and still be legal. That would make sense if it was two scoops and not a truckload of bait. If you are in a CWD zone baiting is not allowed.

I just did a little research into Cody M. It turns out that he lives in Wisconsin. But, if he got busted, he must have been in the CWD area.

It's funny he doesn't pop back in here to fill us in?????

Cody????

ya im from wisconsin i am in the cwd zone getting busted for baiting isnt what im mad about what i am mad about is that someone would sneek onto someone elses land just to ruin there hunt and if u checked these peoples land i know that they use a lot more corn than i had

and you cant see my treestand untill you are about fifty yards from it... and its in the miidle of the guys property and if you knew the guy he doesnt poach or anything he is the most ethical hunter i have ever known and the bait that he threw (two scoops is 2 measuring cups full) wasnt piled it was all scattered in a 50 yard clearing the other bait that was there was pile in an area i had no shot to anyway

and i didnt know any corn was there i dont own the land and the last time i was there was probably sometime in august

OH YA.. UM THE REASON I WASNT BACK IN HERE WAS BECAUSE I HAVE SCHOOL... IM 14 SO I HAVENT REALLY BEEN HOME TO "FILL YOU IN" IF THAT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

Last edited:
Well Cody, hopefully you learned a valuable lesson. If the law says no bait, it means NO bait. That would be like trespassing "a little" ways onto off limits property. Keep your nose clean and follow the laws. You'll appreciate your successes much more than if you cheat even by a "couple of scoops."

Good hunting

Randy

Cody,

Read my post on rattled one up. The deer I killed was standing right next to a fence not 50 yards from me earlier in my hunt. The only thing that stopped me from shooting him was the fence. Not that I was worried about hitting a wire. No, the fence was a boundary fence and I did not have permission to hunt on the property. I could have very easily shot the buck, and since he was looking right at me, would have drilled him lengthwise and he would probably dropped in his tracks. Chances are I would have been able to reach through the barbed wire and pulled him to my side. But, I didn't. I call these circumstances "character builders". I let the buck trot off hoping he would jump on my side later on. Eventually he did and everything worked out. I'm not a game warden but work with several. Unfortunately, many game wardens tend to get a little tainted and think everyone is probably breaking the law, they just have to figure out what they're doing wrong. They get that way because time and time again people look for angles and tend to bend the rules. The whole point to this message is right or wrong, you were caught hunting over bait. I didn't read the news article, but my advice is to learn from the situation and strive to not let something like this happen again. Your only 14, they're many more deer seasons in your future, put this one behind you. Read and learn the game laws and by doing so, you won't be in a situation like this again. Good luck.

I don't bait deer and have always thought it was illegal in Minnesota, but have a hard time figuring out the difference between using food to draw them in or using doe in heat scents to draw them in. What the hell is the difference between getting to them through their nose or their stomach? During the rut I would be willing to wager that the attraction of a hanging tarsal gland or drip bag is far likelier to draw a deer than a pile of corn. Especially around here where there was about 6 million acres of standing corn for our 2 day season.

Bear hunters in Minnesota use bait probably close to 100 percent of the time and this is not deemed unethical so where is the difference? I would think ethics would have to be applied equally across all big game in the state to hold up any case in a court of law if someone brought it up.

Denny,

The thing you are missing is that if you put out corn, you'll draw in the does that will draw in the bucks. The real thing will always be better than a bottled lure.

Prior to 1991, baiting was legal in Minnesota. Late in the season, I'd put out corn and draw in a lot of deer. It was pretty easy shooting. (notice I didn't say hunting...)

The thing that cracks me up though is that you can plant a food plot and hunt over it every day all day. It works the same as a pile of corn.

I noticed Mike Grangers ethics in his story instantly too. I don't bait but I don't whine if someone does it within the law. It doesn't suprise me that more guys don't plant food plots because that requires preseason planning and work.

Well the landowner picked up all the corn yesterday and he got over 100 pounds... he only put out two cups
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Quote:
...he only put out two cups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

...which is still breaking the law. I just can't see your point here. Granted, somebody seems to have potentially trespassed, but his "little" infraction was still illegal. That's like me shooting a two pointer (we now have a three points rule) and saying "Well, he woulda been a three pointer next year, so I was only cheatin' a little."

I use a lot of corn to bait hogs in Texas, but I've never used any bait here where it's illegal. I say take your licks and move on. Maybe next time you'll be a little more cognizant of your surroundings...

the two cups thing wasnt sasying that we did nothing wrong wut im pi$$ed about is people tresspassing and planting bait to get other hunters in trouble and all the people that live around him use 100 pounds of corn

I get the point but I find it rediculous that you can get fined for putting corn in front of your stand but that it is perfectly acceptable to put your stand in front of a cornfield and shoot a deer as it approaches it to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back