Hi! I am new here

Infidel 762

Staff member
new as my first ever post in the night forum.

It is not a test of time, it is a matter of time. All matter breaks down, even man’s greatest creations eventually malfunction and corrode. I burned energy stalking past this machinery under the cover of darkness, killing coyotes. Our bodies are simply matter with energy and the older we get the less of it we have. By dawn I was pretty much spent. I mustered the energy to come back and see these colors of rust. Colors absent without light’s partials to absorb. And what does this rambling have to do with hunting coyotes? Nothing really and even if it did… well it would not matter:)

Out here in the wheat, between old farm equipment and rusty barb wire; coyote family groups establish and defend their territories. When they howl they are not just making noise, it’s communication within a social structure. They recognize each other by the sound of their voice and hear unfamiliar howls as an intruder. Defending the resources within their territory is instinctual and a means of survival.

Like a war of attrition on the plains. Another night of incursions into coyote’s territory. When I slip into their territory, not all howls and vocals come from a real coyote. In this world, things are not always as they seem. Out here in the wheat, between old farm equipment and rusty barb wire; you can not believe everything you hear. These coyotes learned the hard way, about not believing everything you hear…

Time changes present to past, its never ending momentum revolves chasing the future. It has never caught it, but the chase is all it has ever known - caught in an infinite cycle. In this race you can stop and rest, just take heed to not get left behind. Rest with your memories but live in the moment. I watched the sunrise doing what I enjoy best; pausing for a moment of solemn contemplation of the true cost of freedom. (i posted this elsewhere on memorial day, regardless: less we forget)

"There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go, no one may follow
That path is for your steps alone"

WTG,WTG,,WTG,....dang, Jeremy, there seems to be an echo in here, but I just gotta add one more, WTG!

Regards,
Clarence

Glad to see a new guy posting, Welcome Aboard!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Seriously though, great work, as always.

A story of beauty. You truly are the mining of Still Water Run Deep. The old MM U LP looks like it hasn't seen a field for many years. Thanks for the great story, only told by words. Thanks for the pics and video.

Thanks for the kind words fellas
Originally Posted By: lockrotor A story of beauty. You truly are the mining of Still Water Run Deep. The old MM U LP looks like it hasn't seen a field for many years. Thanks for the great story, only told by words. Thanks for the pics and video.
Yep, my grandpa had an old “M&M” with a canvas top. Took forever to plow 160 acres - I remember one year we caught baby rabbits plowing wheat stubble. My aunt raised them but only one survived to adulthood. She eventually turned it loose and it hung around the yard. In the winter I was hunting with my pellet gun around the junk behind the barn. I was young and small that I had to put the butt stock between my knees to pump it up; I was not thinking and just saw a flash. It hopped a few times then stopped and I shot that rabbit. This was over 40 years ago, I shot ducks, rabbits, bull frogs and squirrels with that pellet gun and my grandma would cook them. It was not until I brought it back to the house and my aunt started screaming that I realized what I had done.

When I got older and started hunting coyotes with a 22 things were so much different back then. I could just take off walking and go wherever I wanted without permission and it was no big deal. A farmer would see me out in his pasture and come talk to me. I would tell him I was hunting coyotes and he would point me in the direction he thought I would have the most success. I would rarely actually get a coyote, most I was able to hit would run off but I was happy just getting possums, skunks, rabbits or coons.
Originally Posted By: JTPinTXGlad to see a new guy posting, Welcome Aboard!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Seriously though, great work, as always.

2 off those coyotes are the ones I shot when you text me that big hog you just got. I shot one, then you text me, I texted you back, put the phone back in my pocket and had another coyote standing out in front of me. I heard a group howl and I had to cross a railroad track to setup. It took over 20 minutes just to cross the tracks, the right of way between the fence was so over grown with thickets, I stripped off my gear and literally crawled, I would set my gear in front of me, crawl past it, reach back and grab it and set it in front of me then crawl past it again trying to be as quite as possible, midway I thought there is no way those coyotes are not hearing me. Once I made it across I almost did not attempt to call with the shifting wind. The first one winded me but I was able to get it to stop running away in an opening between the cedars.

I remember us texting back and forth that night, and you knocking coyotes down. I thought it was pretty funny you texting back while on stand, in between shooting coyotes. If I remember right it was fairly bright that night. I might be mixed up on that though. I have stalked 3 pigs on that barrel in the moonlight like that in the last 5 weeks, so I might have my nights mixed up.

Back