What distance to start with a scope

Originally Posted By: Butch AllenI was told that when you put a scope on a rifle you should sight in at at 25 yds before going to 100 yds. Is this true.

Not really to sight in at 25 yards, but a couple shots to be sure that you're on the paper before moving back.

If you don't have a lot of experience with setting up a scope/rifle 25 yards is where to start. Scope rings/mount needs to be torqued and positioned properly for the shooter. Scope reticle needs to be perfectly square to bore. Depending on cartridge and scope height above the center of the bore, often a bullet impact slightly low(1/2 to 1 inch) @25 yards will be close at 100. Use a level/plumb line to position the target with a visible vertical line at 25 and 100 yards and have a level rifle. All ways use the CENTER of the group of impacts for adjustments. Zeroing needs to be the center of the group, whether it is 1/2 inch group or 6 inch group.

Originally Posted By: Butch AllenI was told that when you put a scope on a rifle you should sight in at at 25 yds before goig to 100 yds. Is this true.

OK .... based upon that question, I have to think that you aren't very experienced with scoping a rifle. In order to get the performance out of the package that it is capable of there are numerous things have to happen, and several things have to be done and addressed before you ever get to the range. IF that isn't the case ... then please accept my apology for underestimating your experience.

If you really want to get the most out of your scope, I highly recommend reading this attached article written many years ago my an old friend. Some may say that it is a waste of time, or that these steps aren't really necessary. You can take the content for what it is worth ... or not.

Hopefully it is OK to post this link and I'm not violating any TOS with PM or stepping on any toes for the link. So .......... read it (or not) and decide for yourself ...............................

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/parallax-and-how-scopes-work-by-paul-pablito-coburn.372474/

Originally Posted By: Butch AllenI was told that when you put a scope on a rifle you should sight in at at 25 yds before goig to 100 yds. Is this true.

Hidalgo: Thanks for sharing the detailed explanation of how scopes work.

Butch: I think your question is more simple. One reason for sighting in at 25 yds before going out to 100 is to make sure you are "in the right ball park." If you start at 100 yards and are so far off that you aren't even hitting on paper, it could take you quite a few rounds just to figure out in which direction you are missing. By starting at a closer range, the error will be less, and you will be more likely to be somewhere on the paper on your first shot. I like to boresight the scope first if possible. Then I like to start shooting at 25-50 yds. At this range I adjust so that my shots are centered left/right and about 1" low. That should get me within 4" at 100 yds. I then move to 100 yds to finish dialing it in.

There is no rule that says you have to start sighting in at any specific distance. I have had experiences where it took me almost 15 shots to figure out which direction I was missing the paper. I've also had times where I did a bore-sight, and then my first 3 shots were stacked on the bullseye at 100 yds. But starting at a closer range helps me consistently get zero'd with less shots.

I spend a lot of time at my gun club. Its amazing the amount of people that waste ammo sighting in a rifle. I very seldom sight in at 25yds but won't ever tell you not to. I've seen several that can't get it done that close.

Today I was at the range sighting in a 204 and 22-250 for next weeks pd shoot. A gentleman setup on a bench nearby, put 3 targets up at 100 yards. Shot 5 times with a CZ with a custom 17hmr barrel. Asked me if I could see any hits on the left target. I used my spotting scope, no holes. He said that was funny as the scope was zeroed at 50 yards. I had targets at 25,50 and 100 yards. Told him to shoot at my 50 yard target. He hit 5.5" high. I asked him was it zeroed dead on? He said yes, on ANOTHER RIFLE so it should be close- right?

I know a lot of people bore sight at 25 yards. I typically remove the bolt from the gun, look down the bore and get my target in center of the bore, then leaving the gun untouched look through the scope and adjust until near center of target. Seems to work pretty well for me. I typically do this at 100 yards and have done so with quite a few rifles.

Back