CFE 223 the magic powder?

It seems that this little powder has done wonders in all my 22 centerfire rounds. Three different cartridges and all have similar results, 1/2 MOA or better @ 200 yards with single digit (or close to) standard deviation. All using CCI 450 primers as well. Seems to be a lights out combo. Just worked up a load for my 22 Nosler that shoots 5/8" at 200 yards. I'm pretty tickled with that. Just happened upon this powder a few years ago after reading Gavin from Ultimate Reloader. Anyone else have similar experiences with this powder? Or maybe you have found your magic powder.

Glad it's working out, that sounds great!

I love Hodgdons, it's all I happen to even have on hand for .40sw to 260AI. I stick to their extreme line for temp stability here in MN shooting between -25 to 95 degrees. I use H335, H322 and Benchmark for 223 and H4831SC for 260AI.

Funny story, I tried CFE223 with 53vmax for my 16" BHW poly twist barrel and got groups 12 to 14MOA! It was too slow of a powder for that low pressure barrel, I tried a few times because I've seen nothing like it before and figured other problems. I switched to 65gr SMK with the CFE223 and they shot great with a stiff load and they were coyote hammers, in winter at least, when the powder warmed up pressures increased and they grouped poorly.

Rock Knocker said:
Glad it's working out, that sounds great!

I love Hodgdons, it's all I happen to even have on hand for .40sw to 260AI. I stick to their extreme line for temp stability here in MN shooting between -25 to 95 degrees. I use H335, H322 and Benchmark for 223 and H4831SC for 260AI.

Funny story, I tried CFE223 with 53vmax for my 16" BHW poly twist barrel and got groups 12 to 14MOA! It was too slow of a powder for that low pressure barrel, I tried a few times because I've seen nothing like it before and figured other problems. I switched to 65gr SMK with the CFE223 and they shot great with a stiff load and they were coyote hammers, in winter at least, when the powder warmed up pressures increased and they grouped poorly.

That's very interesting. What a drastic change. I'm from Western PA and it obviously get pretty cold here too. That is something I will keep an eye on! Always interesting to hear others' experiences.

CFE223 is my magic powder to with light fast calibers. I mostly only shoot them with temps at 45 and below hunting. Meters very nice to. Valkyrie with 50 gr Vmax at 3550. 22 Nosler with 52 gr bullets at 3650. 22-250 with 52 gr bullets at 3850 and 243 with 58 gr V max at close to 3900. Accuracy has been good for me also.

Deffinately keep an eye on it if you are shooting hot loads in hot temps, from the charts I've seen CFE223 is one of the most temperature unstable powders you can buy. Just be prepared to make winter and summer loads.

Originally Posted By: jwebster34 Just worked up a load for my 22 Nosler that shoots 5/8" at 200 yards. I'm pretty tickled with that.

Must have been extremely calm conditions to do that at 200 yards.

That's great that you found something that works for you. I've been leery of trying powders with "Copper Fouling Eraser", mainly because not sure how it will affect the brass or jacketed bullet (long term storage).

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGThat's great that you found something that works for you. I've been leery of trying powders with "Copper Fouling Eraser", mainly because not sure how it will affect the brass or jacketed bullet (long term storage).

I've had loaded ammo for my 224 Valkyrie loaded with CFE for about a year and a half sitting in my basement. Took it out the other day and shot it with no issues. Still tiny groups and no POI change. Not sure if it sat for a few years, but I don't have any ammo that does that really.

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: jwebster34 Just worked up a load for my 22 Nosler that shoots 5/8" at 200 yards. I'm pretty tickled with that.

Must have been extremely calm conditions to do that at 200 yards.

They were rather calm. The club I shoot at has a rifle range in a valley, so wind doesn't really get too bad. My 224 Valkyrie shot under a 1/2" group at 200 a couple weeks ago at that same range.

Ive went through about a lb out of a 8 lb jug and haven't found anything special about it. My LeverEvolution loads in 223/556, 20 Prac. , 6x6.8, 30-30, etc. Etc. out shine it in every way. I'm not sure why people really like it. I've started using it for 55 gr FMJ and 69 RMR plinking loads.

Back