Recoil reducers

pyscodog

I shot a few rounds of skeet this morning and a guy let me shoot his Browning. He has a recoil reducer in it and it was very pleasant to shoot. Recoil isn't terrible on my gun but his was very soft shooting. Thinking I might install one in mine. Any certain brand better than others?

SilencerCo Salvo
smile.gif

If you are shooting Skeet with a 12 ga try shooting some 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads if you can. A 7/8 oz load of lead #9 shot has about 49 more pellets per shell compared to a 1-1/8 oz load of lead #8 shot. For me 7/8 oz loads have very little recoil and 7/8 oz of lead #9 shot works great on Skeet Targets.

I have a G-Squared Shock Master on my Browning O/U that I shoot Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays with, but they have gone up in price quite a bit since I got mine.

My son shot competitively for a few years, and I shot with him when he practiced. We both used O/U guns (Citoris) with my reloads. Neither was an issue after 100 rounds, and I can tend to be a bit recoil sensitive. Like Bob said above ..... you don't need a bunch of pellets to break clays. We shot 7/8 of #8 over a light load of AALite. It was a bit slow, but once you get the leads figured out it was money. Son could shoot 400-500 rounds a day with no complaints.

BUT ...... Are you using either a semi or pump gun? If so, the lighter loads may not cycle a semi reliably. In that case your only solution is indeed a reducer. Never used one so I can't comment on a certain brand. You might also try several different brands/loads in your gun to see if it will cycle the lighter stuff.

My gun is an O/U and has mechanical triggers so light loads are no problem. I usually shoot 7/8 oz loads but now I'm shooting 1 oz until I get a new charge bar for my Mec 9000. Recoil is mild now with the reducer and a Kickezz pad. I'm just trying to break a bad habit of raising my head off the stock. Reducing recoil is just maybe a way of breaking a bad habit. As long as I keep my head on the stock I break birds. When I raise it I miss.

International skeet is shot wit 24gram loads, which is almost exactly 7/8 oz. Birds are harder and faster and these loads loads work well. For American Skeet I'm I'm shooting 11/16 oz of 9s in my 12ga and for SC I shoot 7/8 oz of 8s. Works for me. This past fall I shot.ZZ birds.with the same load as.i use on SC. No reducers in my sxs's.

I did shoot a 200 bird Int Skeet event and my 12ga 24gram loads didn't arrive in time, they let me use a.20ga with 7/8 oz loads. It was.a light field sxs with a hard butt plate. After 200.birds.i was.pretty black and blue in the shoulder but took.sixth so.i.was.pleased.

I have a C&H in my gun now, also a new Kickeez pad. My best friend is a registered NSSA skeet shooter and also an instructor. He's been coaching me. Of course I'm a hard learner and have to be told more than once. My problem is I know what to do, I just don't seem to do it consistently. He said he was going to tie a rope around my head and my nuts and if I raised my head it would pull my nuts. LOL Might be the answer.

Back