What bullet does a Tikka 1 in 8 twist 22-250 like?

Ermine

I got a Tikka 22-250 1 in 8 twist. I got it cut down to 20”. I’m wanting to shoot 50-55 grain weight range. I have a 6 creed that I shoot heavier bullets in.

I tried some 55 grain vmax and it didn’t seem to like them. Anyone know a bullet that it might like?

1-8 should shoot about anything. Don't give up right off the bat. Maybe a different powder or charge. My rifles very seldom shoot the best with the first load I try. Once in a while I get lucky but usually take some load work to find just the right load. My 250's really shine with a 52 grain Berger.

Did you shoot it before having it cut down? Is it new or new to you? I have not had a 22-250(6+) rifle that wouldn't shoot bullets between 50-55 gr. What load data have you tried(powders/charge weights) bullets and coal?

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootDid you shoot it before having it cut down? Is it new or new to you? I have not had a 22-250(6+) rifle that wouldn't shoot bullets between 50-55 gr. What load data have you tried(powders/charge weights) bullets and coal?

It was brand new. I didn’t shoot it prior to having gun smith cut it down. I had it threaded for a suppressor and he cut a couple inches off. It was 22” to start. I shot factory Hornady 55 grain vmax.

I usually shoot factory ammo. But my step dad reloads so I can have him
Help me work up a load if needed.

Yea I’m gonna try 50 grain next. I’ve heard from a couple people that the 50 grain shot better in the 1 in 8 twist and the 55 grain not so good. So maybe 50 will be the way

The crown on rifle barrels are very important for accuracy, I would carefully check it(q-tip and magnifying glass). That rifle should shoot with a wide range of powders/bullets. Provided the support(bags) and shooter are decent.

If a person isn't going to reload for it, I'm not sure a Tikka 8tw 22-250 is the best choice and I would have opted for their 22-250 with the slower 14tw barrel.

My Tikka 1-8 twist likes either a 53 or 55 gr Varmageddon. Best powder I tried was CFE 223. Tried Varget, it was accurate, but very slow in my barrel.

There aren't many Tikkas out there that won't shoot something well. Your job is to find out what that is. Both of mine (7mm & 6.5) had a definite preference for certain bullets and weights, but it wasn't hard to figure out with a bit of time and experimentation.

I got a Tikka 22-250 1 in 8 twist. I got it cut down to 20”. I’m wanting to shoot 50-55 grain weight range. I have a 6 creed that I shoot heavier bullets in.

I tried some 55 grain vmax and it didn’t seem to like them. Anyone know a bullet that it might like?
Did you get it sorted out? I've been looking at a Tikka 1:8 real hard also.

A 1:8 should be able to stabilize anything up to 70 grain reliably, and possibly all the way up to 85 grain (depending on the bullet design). In my opinion it is the BEST rate for the 22-250 cartridge because of the versatility.

A 1:8 should be able to stabilize anything up to 70 grain reliably, and possibly all the way up to 85 grain (depending on the bullet design). In my opinion it is the BEST rate for the 22-250 cartridge because of the versatility.
I was planning on 50-55 gr. You think it'd be fine with those weights ?

Back