What solvents is everyone using for day-to-day bore maintenance?

Hidalgo

I know things have probably changed a bit over the last several years when I have been "out of the loop" with things. Any new-and-better bore cleaning solvents out there that I might not know about?

Feel free to list your methods and solvents (and the bad ones, too!). I'm always interested in maintenance and care.

Thanks guys !

I clean after every shooting session, whether 1 shot hunting or 20-30 round range session and really like a stiff Iosso nylon brush wet w/ Tactical Advantage . Scrub bore 6-8 strokes. Generally let it sit four hours to overnight and dry patch it next morning and that's all it takes. If copper still shows up w/bore scope might give it another round. TA works well on both powder and copper fouling.

48723367046_df27374278_z.jpg

This is BAR barrel after 6 strokes and 4 hour soak. Failed to log number of rounds but probably 10 or less and I've seen much smoother barrels than the BAR.
48778903202_9aa2b19005_m.jpg
48778361078_40db16a8ff_m.jpg
48778361053_2a7ce2892e_m.jpg
48778361028_258d44b079_m.jpg
48778720176_7d45db5af2_m.jpg
48778903092_f457a5a484_m.jpg
48778720151_806e330ba7_m.jpg
48778903042_0b5f79b810_m.jpg

Regards,
hm

Thanks for that. Sounds like something I'll want to try. All I've got is some Sweets and #9, both of which did OK. But I have to think that after all these years they may be a bit weak from age.

Originally Posted By: GCKroil is not designed for corrosion prevention.
Maybe not, but my last step in cleaning is a couple 3 drops on a patch, & run through the bore a couple times.

I've doing that for years, with no ill effects, with some stored several years.

Wow ditto hm, that was quite the test, thanks for the link. I always liked the One Shot lube so this kind of validates my use of it.

For bore cleaning, I dumped the nasty smelling sweets and barnes stuff and use Boretech Eliminator and their carbon cleaner now. Bronze brushes for carbon, which is 90% of my cleaning it seems.

While Tactical Advantage claims to be rust preventive, making removal unnecessary, I always dry patch after cleaning and used Rustprufe for years but have been using Breakfree CLP or FP10 of late for long term storage with good results. I do store in a safe w/goldenrod dehumidifier, so that probably explains the outcome. Never put a lot of stock in using a good bore cleaner for corrosion resistance, but some probably do work reasonably well short term in humidity controlled conditions.

After reading the test results, I think I'll probably be switching to one of the top three.
grin.gif
I wish he had included FP10 in his test.

I was really surprised at the lubricity ratings on WD40 & Hopes 9.

Kroil is a good penetrating oil.

Regards,
hm

I live near the coast and hunt in/around salt water marsh. I switched to Hornady One Shot about 5-7 years ago when I started running suppressed. Never had any rust issues, does a fair job cleaning, I like the fact it dries to the touch and my autos run much cleaner. I haven't had any gumming issues that some of the other oils and cleaners caused such as the Frog lube paste. The Frog Lube paste in the Summer would melt, mixed with fouling and would build up in the trigger assemblies and create issues.

My Remington 700 (308) groups opened up 1.5" (5 shot groups @ 100 yds) when I removed all the copper fouling out of the barrel and it took 50 plus rounds to get it back to the 1/2 MOA again.

Quote:My Remington 700 (308) groups opened up 1.5" (5 shot groups @ 100 yds) when I removed all the copper fouling out of the barrel and it took 50 plus rounds to get it back to the 1/2 MOA again.

Beneficial fouling can and does improve accuracy in some barrels. While TA is capable of removing all fouling with an additional application, I believe the BAR barrel also benefits from leaving that little bit of carbon in the flaws in the bore as seen in pictures in previous post.

Regards,
hm

Tactical Advantage for creating a slurry and pushing all the loose debris out.

Then Iosso or JB

Then Tactical Advantage again for the copper.

1) Foaming Bore Cleaner
2) Followed up by Butches Bore Shine to remove powder fouling
3) Hornady One Shot for corrosion protection

I run clean patches in between the chemicals to make sure the bore is dry.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:My Remington 700 (308) groups opened up 1.5" (5 shot groups @ 100 yds) when I removed all the copper fouling out of the barrel and it took 50 plus rounds to get it back to the 1/2 MOA again.

Beneficial fouling can and does improve accuracy in some barrels. While TA is capable of removing all fouling with an additional application, I believe the BAR barrel also benefits from leaving that little bit of carbon in the flaws in the bore as seen in pictures in previous post.

Regards,
hm

I've mainly noticed it on my factory stainless, blued and/or manganese phosphate barrels. Not so much on my premium lapped SS, chrome lined and/or DCI/melanite type coatings.

I run a patch of one shot then a dry patch through the bore and wipe down the firearm after hunting season, range session, and/or bad weather but will only do a deep cleaning (copper mainly) when accuracy becomes an issue.

I use CLP Collector for long term storage of firearms that only get fired every five years (Grandfathers, Classic and/or Antiques).

Back