First One

pyscodog

All the rifles and firearms I have owned, I never had a 22 Magnum. Until today. I saw a Savage Anschutz 141M at the show yesterday but other than look it over was about all I did. I went back today and haggled until we got to a price I could live with. Its no collector, the previous owner shorten the barrel (???) and why I don't know. It has a really nice walnut stock and came with a Bushnell Scopechief VI 4X scope. I'll probably upgrade that but gonna shoot it like it is for now. Other than a shorter barrel its a really neat little rifle. Hope it shoots!

22 magnum is a good coon gun. I have an original Marlin that’s a tack driver. After Remington bought Marlin they put one out with a real nice engraved wood stock. I put 15 hours in putting a gloss linseed oil finish on it. Didn’t matter what ammo I put in it,it would shoot a 4 to 6 inch pattern. It went down the road.

I bought 2 box's of bullets at Bass Pro. Both are CCI but one is a Target bullet (?) and the other HP. Both are 40 grain and 1875 FPS. I don't know what the difference is but hope one of them shoots good.

I have a CZ 457, a RAR and a Marlin 22 mag. My favorite guns to shoot. There's just something about that 22 mag from years gone by that is appealing. Have fun.

I like the .22 Magnum in a rifle. In a handgun the little Magnum has a seriously obnoxious crack. I always had good accuracy and good terminal performance with the Winchester 40 gr. hollowpoint. Growing up on the farm I had a tube fed Marlin bolt action with a Weaver 3x9 scope and dad had a Ruger Single Six revolver that I packed around some. Nothing on that farm was out of my league with that little rifle. I killed crows, pigeons, starlings, maybe a chicken hawk or two, possums, coons, rats, feral cats and dogs, grey fox and even some coyotes. I found out that if I didn't pick shots on cottontails and squirrels carefully there wasn't much left for the frying pan so mostly headshots or nothing for edible game. I haven't had a .22 Magnum for awhile now. I should fix that sometime soon.

Originally Posted By: GCIn a handgun the little Magnum has a seriously obnoxious crack.

And that is putting it mildly. In a rifle the 22mag isn't that bad for noise but put it in a pistol or revolver and you better have some good ear protection in place because the muzzle blast is not only obnoxiously loud it's painful to your ears if you aren't wearing ear protection. One of my least favorite guns to ever shoot, with regard to noise, is a Ruger single six with 22mags followed closely by my PMR30. They're both really fun little guns to shoot, except, for that nasty extremely loud crack.

I wasn't aware of, any, 22mag ammo with "target" bullets. Pyscodog, I'd like to know more about this particular ammo, do you mind giving us more information on what 22mag ammo you're referring to with target bullets?

I keep one for predator calling where I don't want a lot of noise, CZ 455 w/HB. Cheaper than a can. 40gr Win jacketed HPs work great. Mine wears a Burris 4X 1.5-6x40 scope.

A coyote from the Convention in Elko with the 22 Mag.
1gYQvc.jpg

Nice snag on a decent rifle.

I had a little Ruger revolver with a convertible cylinder that I would use with the 22 Mag cylinder in Taiwan to shoot monkeys in the tangerine groves.

Last edited:
I bought the ammo at Bass Pro. Its CCI, 22WMR Maxi-Mag. Says 40 grain total metal jacket Target, 1875 FPS. With my little 4X scope I shot a five shot group a tiny bit bigger than a dime. But the HP ammo shot about the same. Both box's were about $17 for 50 rounds. I was in Walmart and the have WMR ammo for $16 but I couldn't tell if it was the Target or HP. So far I'm pretty impressed with the little rifle for the first time out.

Just FYI, even in the rifle it seemed pretty loud. Definitely need ear protection. LOL, even had a little felt recoil. It thinks its a badass.

The 22 magnum has been a favorite cartridge of mine for decades.I've lived in a densely populated area most of my life and the low noise and lethality of this diminutive round is all out of proportion to it's physical size.

CG is right about the sharp crack in some firearms but I wouldn't be without this round.

I hunted with an open sighted S&W Model 48 for years but now have resorted to using a scope because of my eyesight.When on some scouting expeditions or out camping,I would rather carry my S&W Model 651 no-dash than most other handguns.

I'm fortunate to also own an Anschutz 1720 and Kimber 82 Cascade both of which are very accurate.

Your Model 141 is built on the 64 action and the accuracy is on par with his bigger brothers built on the Anschutz 54 action.

Congratulations on owning a finely crafted firearm.

Ive got a savage .22 magnum. Shoots quite well, and i have a suppressor on it. With regular ammo itsquiet. With subsonic ammo its like a bb gun. Its [beeep] on whistle pigs.

I have had a Heckler & Koch Model 300 in 22 WMR since 1979 and it is one of my prized rifles and calibers in my safe. I used to use it years ago when doing a lot of close in calling and it would flat hammer the red fox. It also did a great job on the coyotes and I would not shy away from shots on song dogs out to 250 yards.
I sho0t Winchester 40 gr HP's out of it and with the polygonal rifling that H&K used on this rifle, it hits very hard, and much more than the standard rifling of say a Win model 94. I love the gun and the caliber but I don't shoot it a lot these days. Back when we had a lot of prairie dogs on public land and when the private land owners did not want to charge you to shot them, I laid down many a dog with that rifle.
Enjoy it pyscodog!

I can't believe I never owned one before. I only shot it briefly, maybe 25 rounds, it shot some respectful groups. Me and the little 4x Bushnell were having issues, can't see the bullet holes at 50 yds, so I want to replace the scope soon. I have a M8 Leupold straight 16 power and a 2x7 Redfield. Both are glossy and either would look good on the rifle. The triggers pretty good but could be a little lighter for my taste but its very usable like it is. All in all, I'm very please with the rifle. Maybe someday I can find an original barrel and but it back like it was but I have to admit, with the shorter barrel it is handy in the Tacoma.

What yardage do most of you zero your scopes? I took the 4x Bushnell off and put a 16x Leupold on it for now. I can tell already that isn't what will be on it for long but for some paper punching it will do. I have a 3x9 Leupold and a 2x7 Redfield which will probably end up on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WyoBullI have had a Heckler & Koch Model 300 in 22 WMR since 1979 and it is one of my prized rifles and calibers in my safe. I used to use it years ago when doing a lot of close in calling and it would flat hammer the red fox. It also did a great job on the coyotes and I would not shy away from shots on song dogs out to 250 yards.
I sho0t Winchester 40 gr HP's out of it and with the polygonal rifling that H&K used on this rifle, it hits very hard, and much more than the standard rifling of say a Win model 94. I love the gun and the caliber but I don't shoot it a lot these days. Back when we had a lot of prairie dogs on public land and when the private land owners did not want to charge you to shot them, I laid down many a dog with that rifle.
Enjoy it pyscodog!

How much extra oomph do you believe the rifling of the HK contributes to the ballistics of the .22 Magnum over conventional rifling?

Shot the rifle again today. At 50 yds, the "Target" bullets and the HP's shot about the same. Both shot a decent size group. When I went to 100yds, the "Target" bullets accuracy fell apart in my opinion and the HP's shot much much better. I need to find some different brands to try now but plan to grab a box or two of the HP's just in case!!

Those loads marked "target" aren't match bullets that are designed for accuracy. They are full metal case/jacketed bullets for plinking and shooting at targets - not for game/varmints/self defense like a hollowpoint or softpoint bullet. I wouldn't expect anything extra in the accuracy department with those "target" bullets and if they do give a stellar performance it is by chance and a happy coincidence.

That explains why the shot so bad. I don't shoot FMJ in anything of mine. Kinda figured there was a catch. Never seen a target grade WMR round. I scored a 125 count box of the 40 grain HP's at Wally World this afternoon. $29 for 125 rounds. They came in a little carton like we use to get our milk in at school. May have to buy a couple more next time I go there.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: WyoBullI have had a Heckler & Koch Model 300 in 22 WMR since 1979 and it is one of my prized rifles and calibers in my safe. I used to use it years ago when doing a lot of close in calling and it would flat hammer the red fox. It also did a great job on the coyotes and I would not shy away from shots on song dogs out to 250 yards.
Enjoy it pyscodog!

How much extra oomph do you believe the rifling of the HK contributes to the ballistics of the .22 Magnum over conventional rifling?

I wish I had scientific data to back up what I said but unfortunately do not. That being said, I have a friend who had a Winchester 9422M and I have shot a lot with him with the rifles side by side over the years out calling and on prairie dog towns etc. There is just not doubt in my mind that mine hits harder and my friend is in agreement with me.
The way the polygonal rifling was designed to work was to not allow any gas to escape in front of the bullet. I believe that is why it performs better than a standard rifled barrel.

Back