Did a little rebuild on the CZ-527

The 52 AMAX was a good choice in 223 as well. I have a few of those left too.

They say the 53 VMAX is the king of plastic tipped bullets for coyotes. I have a few boxes on the shelf to try, just haven't got around to it yet. I want to because it has a good BC and at distance the 223 needs all the help it can get. Everything I hear about that bullet is really good.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTX I will say I am more particular about my shots when I use the 223 instead of the 243. 243 puts coyotes down as hard as anything I have ever shot, period. 87 VMAX has a great mix of fast opening energy dump, and still a plenty of penetration. Plus a good BC, it carries that energy out well. It works so good I think sometimes it makes me a sloppy shooter. But that little 223, it shoots so good, so smooth. I just have a lot of confidence on shot placement and that is a big key as well. But I won’t push distance with it like I do the 243.

Personally I feel a 55 Sierra soft point is one of the best coyote bullets ever made. And lots of old time coyote killers agree with me on that. The 50 is probably as good in the 223 as the 55 is in the 22-250. I’m not saying the 223 is as good as a 22-250, just that the 50 matches the 223 like a 55 matches the 22-250, if that makes sense. 22-250 still has at least a 75-100 yard or more range advantage over the 223.

My opinion exactly. I love the 223. It's just a pleasure for me to carry and shoot. I have a little Kimber Montana 223 AI, with a Lilja 1-8 twist, 16 or 18 inches. Suppressed it is one of my favorite rifles.

I think CZ should have their head checked for discontinuing the 527 series! A great little rifle!

I have two Americans, one in 223, the other in .204. I wish I had gotten one more, this time in 22 Hornet to join its other “Brethern”!

Something for owners of the series to watch out for with the original stock is that some of them have been found to have the front stock screw cut a little too long. Thus it bottoms out with the action and stock still loose.

My 204 has this problem and I fixed it temporarily with a flat washer under the head of the overly long screw. The previous owner noted it did not like 40 gr Hornady factory loads. I bet the screw had something to do with that because she’s lights out now with everything I have fed it since the “fix”!

The OP’s rifle looks great in that Bell & Carlson. The healthy clearance in the barrel channel aids cooling!

Three44s

Last edited:
Not to hijack a post, but years age I built a carbon/kevlar stock for a cz527. I did a casting of a the stock and hand laid pieces of carbon/kevlar cloth in resin. The final stock weighed 28 oz. Here it is.

cyYGir3t_o.jpg

wkvpwdGU_o.jpg

That is really cool building your own carbon/kevlar stock. I have quite a few skills, but that is not one of them! You did a nice job on that for sure, and 28 oz is a really good weight too.

I just put the same stock but in green/black on my 527 American 22 Hornet…the only fit ment issue I had was the trigger pull weight screw needed turned in a good bit to clear the aluminum webbing. Did that and dropped in and fit like a glove. I will agree that the barrel channel gap is not as big as it looks in your photo. I was worried about that since it’s for a Varmint diameter barrel. But I’m happy with it. The B&C got rid of all the slop in the recoil lug area, mine doesn’t have any factory bedding compound in it, just an open wood slot with a metal piece pressed in. My 223 Varmint is same way, both made in 2021. I did have a 17 Hornet years ago that did have some compound from the factory…anxious to see what the 221 Fireball I have coming looks like. Also nice to see the brown color in your phot, looks great.

Back