Coyote_Thumper-2023

I've had both pulsar and AGM on my radar for quite a while too. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much for side by side reviews between them. My buddy had pulsar and he wanted to upgrade, and having looked through the pulsars, but not knowing quite how AGM compared, that helped steer me to pulsar.

06 has a AGM Rattler 25. I don't remember if his is 256 or 384. He's posted a few videos from it and it looks pretty good to me.

The AGM TM10 at $600 was a big investment for me, and I really liked it, but with some reservations. My wife advised me that if I'm going to make a big investment, get something that I will be REALLY happy with, don't cheap out and spend (still a lot of money) on something that isn't quite what you want. Thankfully we were able to make the extra expense work and I'm really happy with what I got.

For me I hunt rats around my house at 5-30 yds. I shoot coyotes over bait piles at my house at 50-100 yds. I sometimes hunt coyotes on logging roads through thick forrest. I sometimes hunt coyotes over fields at 50-300 yds. I sometimes hunt coyotes in eastern WA sage brush (desert). I think the TM10 could have gotten me by in most of those situations, but the larger viewing screen, 50hz refresh, and larger viewing screen make it 5x more effective and enjoyable.

Without knowing your exact hunting conditions, I highly recommend saving a bit longer (or even sell a couple guns if needed) and get a nicer scanner. I've heard many people say the same thing online. Having now gone through the process myself, I say the same thing.

I looked through my buddies Pulsar Helion XP50 pro (640 scanner) and Halo XRF (640 scope). They give quite a bit of additional picture clarity beyond the 384 units I got, but in my opinion, in 90% of situations between 20-300 yds, I could spot and shoot coyotes just as effectively with the 384 units. For me it seemed very practical to spend extra money to get into the 384 class. It seemed cool, but not as practical to spend the extra money to get into 640 class.

Thanks for the reply with your experiences. It goes with what I have been leaning toward. Nice to hear similar opinion from others. Thanks and good luck!

Jwebster,

CT gave some good advice in my opinion. The 256 resolution of the TM 10 leaves a lot to be desired, and the slower refresh rate is a bit lagging. Still, for my needs at this point, it will work for me at closer ranges - I think. I paid less than $500 for mine shipped, so the cost isn’t so bad. My main reason for the TM 10 purchase is hog hunting from an elevated blind while watching a corn feeder at distances of about 125 yards and less. I have a hunt scheduled for the middle of June, so I will know more then as to its usefulness. I also plan to do some bobcat calling in areas of relatively thick forests and vegetation, small fields etc. For that purpose I think it will work OK, though I realize it will never have the view like a 384 resolution does, but maybe it will be sufficient.

I have noticed the view of the TM 10 is not as good in high humidity, but at 100 yards I can tell something is there. One night with lower humidity I could see deer at around 100 yards, easily defined. On a high humidity night the view was not very good at all at the same distance, but I could see a faint heat signature of the deer. I can see my dogs well at around 40-60 yards or so in the yard. The view is a little fuzzy compared to a 384 resolution. I guess for me the verdict is still out on this monocular, but I will have to put it to use on hunts to know for sure. I hope to do that soon.

I do like the Rattler 25 scope, for the money. It is a 384 resolution and is much better than the 256. My biggest complaint about the Rattler is the video recording size not being wide screen like Pulsar. As far as usefulness, it works fine, is compact and can double as a scanner, which was my main reason for purchasing it. Another negative, though not a game killer, is that when pressing the control buttons to activate various things, the response time is slower than I like. The video-on button requires a few seconds of press and hold to activate. Maybe I am used to my ATN 4k Pro digital scope controls. That scope has instant video activation at a quick press and release.

If you hunt more open areas and at ranges further than 100 yards, you probably should consider a 384 resolution monocular, but they do come at a higher cost. For my simple needs of close range detection, I couldn’t see spending the difference in price.

Hope this helps.

So I recently purchased a Kopfjager Reaper 700 shooting tripod. It is a much needed accessory to hunting with thermal at night in open fields. It arrived earlier this week. Last night I pulled it out and set it up with the 20 practical to show my brother who is currently living next door. I was then talking with my wife in the house while I waited for my brother to reply to a text (he never did, must have been asleep already). Then an alarm rang. I told my wife, "i'm going to check it out with the thermal". I took the gun off the tripod, put one shell in it (just in case), and went to the window. My wife grabbed the thermal monocular and was watching over my shoulder. I was watching two shooting lanes in the direction of the alarm that went off.

Coyotes usually trot through pretty quick. The delay between my two alarms going off was long so I figured it was a cat, rabbit, or deer taking it's time. Hence in part why you hear me say "I think it's a deer" when I first spotted it through the trees. After watching the replay a couple times it was obvious to me it was a coyote right away. But the way it was walking slow, and then stopped to look across the field was very similar to deer behavior. As soon as it stepped clear of the trees I got a positive ID, gave a lip squeek, and dropped it. I was pretty excited to get my first coyote with both the 20 practical and with my thermal scope! And my wife was standing right behind me watching the whole thing! That was pretty cool too.

Bolt action 20 Practical. (32gr .204 varmageddon bullet @3800 fps)

Here's the video:

I hope to have more to report about after tomorrow night.

This isn’t a post about baiting, but since I do a lot of baiting, I’ll just keep all my activity reports on a single thread here.

My weekend coyote hunting was a disappointment.

I visited my relatives Saturday and Sunday. They own about 5 different 5-acre properties, mostly hayfields adjacent to forest, that are all located within about ¼ mile of each other. I also gained permission to hunt a nearby 15 acre field that is adjacent to big forest, and has several other large fields adjacent. This was great looking coyote habitat and I was excited to hunt it. Last week my uncle had 3 coyotes challenging his dogs at the edge of his yard. The neighbor with the 15 acre field showed me game cam pics of bear, coyote, bobcat, deer, and cougar within the past few months. Coyote activity within the last week.

I chose 3 locations to make night calling stands. Between traveling, setup, calling, takedown—I spent about an hour per stand. I hunted for 5 hours and made 5 stands, I rotated through the 3 stands, and then returned to two of the locations and called there a second time. I DIDN’T SEE A SINGLE COYOTE! =( I saw a couple deer, a rabbit, bats, I had 3 different (barred?) owls (~18” tall) show up and check out my caller. But no coyotes. I went to bed around 2am.

In the morning my uncle told me his dogs started barking a bunch around 5:30am, and then he heard a coyote bark/howl in the field in front of his house. Then the neighbor with the 15 acres sent me a game cam pic of a coyote that came through at 7:30am at the spot where we were calling.

I guess I just picked bad timing and should have gone to bed early and got up early and hunted early morning instead. The moon was shining bright when we were hunting. Maybe that was part of the problem. I know some guys who won’t hunt under a bright moon, but I know others who do and say they still get tons of coyotes night calling under a bright moon. If I were to do it all again (and I plan to), I would still hedge my bets on there being more coyote activity early in the night than in the morning. But I sure missed the timing bad this time. I was excited (and expected) to get several coyotes with the new thermal gear, hunting a great looking area. I really didn’t expect to get skunked, but I guess it’s part of the trade…

Not Baiting on this one.

Last week I went out one evening at my inlaw's. They have a field with cattle next to their garden and back yard. I put my foxpro caller in the back yard, then set up the gun and tripod inside the garden. I turned on the thermal, didn't even get the gun loaded yet, and spotted a coyote wandering through the cattle field next to me. Field had about 6 cows and 2 small calves in it at the time. I watched the first coyote for about 5 minutes, partly indisbelief that there was a coyote there already and I hadn't even turned on the caller. I watched for a while to be sure it wasn't a neighbor dog. It was clearly coyote. By the time I decided I should shoot it, it wandered in front of some houses, so I had to wait. Then I spotted another coyote a little ways behind it. I turned on vole squeeks on the foxpro. Both coyotes looked, but didn't come. Then I turned on rabbit sounds. The first coyote mostly ignored me and continued mousing in the field, but the second coyote came to investigate. As the video shows, I got that one.

I cut the video short, but the front coyote popped back out of the woods and stared at me for about 30 seconds. If I'd have been more decisive I could have shot it there and had a double. I was trying to be patient and call it in closer. Then I noticed the shot coyote starting to get up off the ground. I fired again but missed barely. I fired again and hit it a second time....pretty far back though. It still got up again and went about 30 yards before it expired. By that time the other coyote was long gone. I continued running the caller for about an hour with nothing to show for it.

It was a fun hunt.

Very cool write up and an entertaining video. I was convinced he'd stop behind that post and the nuke got me
smile.gif
Looked like a close shot. What do you estimate the range on the one you knocked down?

4th of July night. With all the fireworks i didn't expect any coyote activity. But at 2am a couple alarms went off. I suspected deer but got up to check anyways. Knelt down at the window for a quick scan with the thermal. To my surprise I saw a coyote. I hit the record button and then got situated for the shot. The video shows what happened next.

To bury to bury dead coyotes, I dig a hole with an excavator about 2'x5' and about 4-5' deep. I throw coyotes in and cover with a couple inches of dirt after each coyote to keep the smell down. about 3 weeks ago we had a duck die and i threw it in the "burrial hole". I thought I covered it, but i guess i forgot. This coyote smelled it and was checking it out. This is the first time I've shot a coyote and had it fall right into the burrial hole for me! haha.

So this coyote was semi-unintentionally baited with a duck that I forgot to bury.

As you can tell from the video, when I took the shot, the impact gave a VERY loud "watermellon-like" thwack!

That 20 really drops them, CT. Reminds me of my .17 Remington. Same performance. Hornady 25 gr. HP at 3921 fps.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
That 20 really drops them, CT. Reminds me of my .17 Remington. Same performance. Hornady 25 gr. HP at 3921 fps.

Actually for this one I was shooting my CZ 527 .223 Rem. Reloads. Sierra Gameking 55grain HPBT loaded to about 3100 fps.

The thermal scope has a nice QD mount. I have it sighted in for both my .223 and the .20 practical and saved on different profiles. I used different reticle patterns for the two to help me quickly remember and confirm that I have the right profile for the right gun.

I am interested in getting a .17 caliber centerfire at some point. I'm leaning towards the 17 fireball. But am also interested in the hornet and the 17 remington. For now i'm just patiently paying off the thermal scope still. Thankfully I have several rifles and calibers to choose from in the mean time.

The .223 strikes again. Motion alarms went off in the morning. Coyote wandered in from the back driveway. It checked out the chicken pen first, then looped around behind my house (Mistake!).

I actually pulled the trigger at 22 seconds into the video. nothing happened. I forgot to close the bolt on the rifle. oops. Well the next time he stopped I was ready.

Just my personal habbit. Since I often roll out of bed and walk through the house in the dark to shoot coyotes from the windows of my house....I don't close the bolt until the gun is pointed out the window. Similarly, I open the bolt before I pull the gun back in from the window.

The dog comes running every time she hears a shot, hoping we are about to go on an adventure chasing down an injured coyote. I think she thinks it's her grandest purpose in life. She came running after I shot this one so I just sat and watched her for a bit as she went to work to track it down.

Great shot on that one, CT ! It’s always good to let man’s best friend be part of the experience. Good view in the scope too.

Tipped him right over! Cool video. Thought you were going to pull the trigger right when it nuked. I like the pup checking up and marking his ground
smile.gif

Back