Took a stab at an open reed distress

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
I love using open reed calls but am far from an expert on them yet. I've been wanting to get into building open reed calls but that is a whole different deal/learning curve than closed reed. So I decided that to get started the simplest thing would be to buy a few commercial tone boards, spin up some bodies for them, and start learning how to tune reeds. Once I get a good handle on that then I can move on to making my own tone boards, which is where I want to go eventually.

I made up this little open reed distress/screamer to match a closed reed I had made last week. I think I have it tuned pretty good, it seems to play well for me. I messaged SnowmanMo and I am sending this set out to him to play with. I want to see what he thinks and get some input on it. Hopefully he can let me know if I am on track or need to make some changes.

I am pretty excited about it though. Any input is welcome.

xsYbImrl.jpg

r7vINf9l.jpg

Man, Mo gets all the fun.
smile.gif

That looks pretty good to me, but it's hard to say without blowing on it. I'll impatiently await Mo's feedback.

That one is a Yellerdog screamer. Just kind if what I could find to try and get my feet wet. You have any experience with them?

Well prototype 1 went in the mail today. Prototype 2 will be around my neck tonight out doing some of my own personal R&D. Stabilized Zebrawood. I probably won't stabilize Zebrawood again, it leaves some glittery things in the big open grain I don't like. Not bad, just not my personal preference.

WiHUeScl.jpg

Well they definitely look good. I believe I have some calls made with the Yellerdog YD2 or YDD2 tone board. Can’t remember the exact naming designation, but they make a good sound.

Over two nights of experimenting with this call out in the field, for sure it is a success. I have had 21 coyotes respond to it and come in on 8 stands. 8-9 of those coyotes came burning in hard and gave us close shots. This is with the Zebrawood call not the Aztec Gold pecan. Same board though. I am starting to like these little calls quite a bit.

So glad to see you’re enjoying this bud. Building and tuning toneboards take practice and patience. I’ve been at it for quite a few years now and they still test my patience. Some take a good bit of Busch Light and bourbon to get right. But it’s also very rewarding when you nail a good one. I had a ton of help from some of the best on here when I started. If I can ever help, don’t hesitate to reach out my friend

That is a Thin Liz named after Lee’s Daughter. Now it’s called a super Screamer 1 i think. I invented the YDD2 with Yellerdog he is my good friend. Been making if lots and lots of new toneboards and stuff. Have my RR1 and RR2 again. Very Raspy.

Thank You very much I appreciate it! So far I have just been buying tone boards and putting them in. But I am starting the process now of learning to make my own tone boards. After working with the store bought boards for a while I am getting comfortable tuning reeds and am ready to move on to the next part of the process.

I've been looking at lots of boards, studying them, trying to see what makes them different from each other. How different curves and shapes play differently. Then trying to figure out what method I am going to use to make my own boards, studying my options and how I want to do it. It is all very interesting and a whole lot of fun!

Back