BH 209

pyscodog

I was in a local shop today and they had a shelve full of Blackhorn 209 powder. $79.95+ tax for an 8oz bottle. Gonna be a bunch of unhappy muzzle loader folks. My two rifles prefer 777. At least its reasonable.

Hopefully that was at some "scalper's" shop. BP has always been harder to find as many dealers do not carry.

Guess not. What are the restrictions/costs on shipping BP? If this is current listing and shipping not prohibitive might be an option??
BUFFALO ARMS
Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Actually it was at one of the nicest stores in Tulsa. Nicest but not cheapest. I read it was going up in price and down in quantity a while back. They're the only place in town that even has it. Bass Pro has some a while back and it way expensive to.

The main store I go to is always the cheapest and doesn't play the inflation game. BH209 is 79.99 for 8 ounces. I have half a can and will be going back to pyrodex.

At those prices I will go to something else. I got lucky a year and a half ago. My sister was working part time at a large Walmart in Chattanooga. I asked her to be on the lookout for some BH 209. She called and said the store had four bottles of the 10 oz size. She asked me how many I wanted and I said all 4. Cost was about $41 with tax. I only kept one and sold the other 3 at my cost. If I only shoot my muzzleloader at game and use one or two shots to verify zero, I can go a long while with a bottle and a half.

Maybe by that time Tennessee will have adopted a primitive season with straight walled cartridges. I would go with a rimmed cartridge preferably in 360 Buckhammer.

What makes it so special to raise the cost and lower the quantity? I don't understand this. Guess it doesn't matter as I don't use it anyway.

I really like B209 in the Knight Elite, luckily I have a few containers from the $35 days. I think it keeps pretty well. I normally just shoot getting ready for the deer hunt. If I was shooting more in the off season, I’d use something else.

One can also drop the charge some, minor savings. I normally use 115 grains volume for hunting. Years ago, 80 grains on a youth hunt worked fine.

I use to weight mine. Was around 86 grains, a bit over book max. It would kick the snot out of you and IMO, wasn't near as accurate as the 777. I gave mine to my gunsmith friend and just went back to my old standard of 100 grains of 777 and a 250 grain Shockwave. Kills deer DRT usually. Haven't had to trail one more than a few yards yet. Most just hit the ground. I think they are just taking advantage of the hunters pricing it the way they are. Greed seems to mess everything up these days.

I like BH209 in my T/C Impact. My muzzleloader hunting is for late season whitetails and it is in the timber so ranges are under 100 yards. I load 85 grains by volume with a 300 gr. XTP and it is an accurate easy shooting load that kills deer cleanly. I have a couple containers and that will last me for awhile as I typically only shoot a few to verify sight in and a shot during the hunt and I'm done with the frontstuffer for the year. I do need to hustle up some shotgun primers though. Memory tells me I'm short on those.

Shot gun primers have been showing up around here lately. Most are Cheddite or another brand that comes 1000 on a flat. OK for shooting skeet loads I guess. I have some 777 and a few Winchester for the muzzle loaders.

Back