7mm Mauser AI load data?

jetman

I have been looking in loads for the GD's soon-to-be-built 7mm Mauser AI.

The info is difficult to find for the AI in a modern action. The build is a new Ruger American, which was a 3006.

I think we will start with a 140 gr bullet then later a much smaller one for P dogs/coyotes.
Maybe a sst or a ttsx if we can ever find any.
We have almost any kind of powder. At some point later I can envision something in like a 175-ish something, but she will have to grow into that. From what We have been finding RL-26 can increase FPS with little increase in recoil. But we will start with something in a midrange velocity, it's a 24" barrel.

Has anyone seen info or have some insight?

I can't help with data, but just had to say that it should be an awesome and very efficient round. Great choice, that will be sweet for sure and something different than anyone else has. I've always kind of wanted a 7x57.

I have a 7x57 that has shot ok with H4831, IMR 4350 and Reloader 19.

Those 140 grain Nosler Accubonds have shot the best so far.

All 3 of those powders have very good case fill. I believe they would work well for the "improvement"

When my 7x57 is shot out i am going to re-barrel in 25-06 or 257 Roberts.

Curious why you feel the need to AI the 7x57? It has made it's bones all over the world from Dik-Dik to Elephant in its standard form and is more than adequate for almost anything in NA. If you feel the need for more speed there are any number of factory cartridges that will work superbly in in your action 7mm-08, 280 Rem and 280AI, all factory rounds, standard dies, standard reamers(off the shelf barrel), no fire-forming and loads of reloading data.

My 7x57 although it is the rimmed version. It uses the same dies just a different shell holder.
E8VvYt.jpg

Last edited:
There are many benefits with an AI case, other than more case capacity. One is case life and stretch.
As I said, my Grandaughter is only 14 and under 100 pounds. We probably will not load full roundhouse loads for a few years. But we can if she wants. With a 140 gr bullet and light loads an AI would not be needed, But one day it could be. NEED never enters the equation, want, is more like it. The Dies were only $100 ish more, and the fire forming well cover the barrel brake in. Just saying, still looking for load info.

Last edited:
Back