Who uses a Suppressor cover for hunting?

Ermine

I’m curious who all uses a suppressor cover? I use one. In my
Mind I like to use one for the simple fact of camoing up the suppressor. Some suppressors really have a shine to them.

I run one on every centerfire can I have. Mirage is drastically increased by a hot suppressor and IMO a cover is mandatory for shooting groups or long strings with a hot suppressor.

Covers offer other advantages like camouflage, sound dampening if you bump something, protection from scratches and keeps you from getting burned by grabbing a hot can.

I've seen most brands and own 4 different brands, TAB Gear, Armageddon Gear, Rausch Precision, and Cole-Tac. IMO the Cole-Tac is the best one on the market.

I do,very seldom shoot enough at a time when calling to get it very hot.Use one to not have to worry about shining in the sun.Use Col-Tac

Last edited:
I use one for all the above reasons. Actually made my own. Used material from old pair of my son's welding jeans, piece long enough for 2 wraps around can, secured with 3 velcro tabs. Have a thin coat of red RTV smeared into the fabric on the 1st portion that makes contact with can. Works fine.

I simply wrap some camouflage “Coban” self-adhering tape on my suppressor. It keeps it camo, and allows for a couple shots before the heat mirage starts to kink me.

I’ve got a couple actual suppressor covers that work quite well at eliminating the heat mirage… but then don’t stay on all that well in a hunting situation, and they add weight.

I was concerned about losing a cover while hunting, so I bought a cheaper heat resistance one off flea bay. Has 3 Velcro straps. Has worked well for 3 plus years. I don't take more than 3 shots quickly. I have one full auto rated suppressor, no cover for that one. In the winter, I wrap with vet horse wrap(white) works well. My neighbor sews, thinking about having her make a snow camo cover.

The main reason I use one is to quiet down the sound when branches slap against my suppressor. I'm not worried about the finish on my suppressor or heat shimmer but I had the metallic "ting" that my suppressor makes when brush slaps against it.

Had my wife make my cover. Used an old pair of my son's welding pants. Section long enough to go around can twice, initial portion that contacts can I smeared Red RTV into the fabric-takes the heat & makes the cover grip the can. Left the seam of the pants on the fabric, put that at the back edge, provides a lip to hang over back edge of can to also keep it from walking forward. Fastens with 3 velcro tabs. Paint it any color you want.

i have one. custom made with a chunk of welding/soldering blanket, some leather as an outer, wrapped in camo cloth.

simple. very effective.

I use one on precision rifles for the mirage factor. Sometimes on daytime calling rifles for the camo factor. I don't worry about it on anything else. Pig shooting with AR's, yes it gets very hot. You know you have done good work when you get that blistering hot suppressor smell. I guess I just learned not to touch them, lol. No doubt I am the odd one out when it comes to that but I would rather not have anything on the can so it can cool down fast and not hold in heat.

I have both Armageddon and Hunter Steve covers.

I would have thought everyone used a cover to keep it quiet, avoid mirage, and camo it. It also makes it handy so that I can check to make sure it is tight. That always goes into the shot process.

Back