2023 #8

I can't tell if the shot looked good or not. I'm not able to go frame by frame to see where the crosshair was on the last frame before the recoil of the shot.

I did notice...at 0:19 it looks like a rat scurried up the post and into your feeder in the lower right portion of the screen.

Comedy of errors putting 13 on the ground. Small 18 pound female was about 70 yards out when I got on her with the rifle. Thermal ran out of juice just as I was pulling the trigger. Switched to the backup with NV. She had moved quite a bit and I was having trouble finding her in the scope so I picked up the scanner while dropping another piece of equipment on my toe. She either heard the thump or the curse but when I found her she was looking up at me. Rolled the rifle that direction and fired...no time to hit record.

Still photo is all I got through the thermal before it died. The 55's (243) did an ugly number on the front of her chest. She was too small and bony to contain the shock wave.

Even though she's young and thin, she's apparently a repeat customer to the bait site. Note the black spot that looks like a tick in the 1st photo. It's a fresh 24 caliber piercing in her right ear. Bet that last running miss almost got her done.

JBfOKuV.jpg

entrance ear

hdrtEx5.jpg

exit ear

cBOkodJ.jpg

18 lb female

3jZXjKw.png

image before the batteries died

Looks like you are still in the game, Wildflights. You are making some very good shots at the 160 yard site. Mine is close at only 60. There has been a coyote visiting my site periodically but haven’t seen her for a time now. I will resume hunting in late August / early September.

Originally Posted By: wildflightsThanks 6mm06. I'm tempted to start walking that site closer but it's right at a pinch point in the travel corridor. It's a natural funnel.
Well, you seem to be making a good show of it where it is, and some accurate shooting. I like the confidence of closer shots, but whatever works, works and you have to consider the natural travel corridor and terrain.

Sitting here comparing NV videos at 160 yards. The first post in this thread is with the PARD 008s https://rumble.com/v2g64py-2023-8-nv.html (2023 #8) on a broadside coyote with native magnification at 6.5x. The last video is with the Pulsar C50 https://rumble.com/v2t8xze-2023-14-nv.html (2023 #14 NV) is a head on facing coyote in the same location. Starting at native magnification 3.5x and bumping to 7x before the shot.

I'm a little surprised that the 6.5x and 7x don't seem to jive. The coyote image in the PARD looks like the magnification is much higher than the Pulsar. Also the Pulsar FOV is larger at 7x than the PARD at 6.5x. Both videos are grainier than I'd like.

Going through the 2023 bait site videos and looking at time stamps.

1 shot at 8 PM
1 shot at 1130 PM

7 shot between 2-4 AM
2 shot at 10 AM

Kinda looks like a pattern.

WF. That's cool seeing the pattern of timing. I don't think I have timestamps for most of my coyotes. Seeing your data makes me want to start recording the time of each shot at my place too. I think I would see similar results. However I feel like I tend to get quite a few between 8pm-11pm. I'll have to start keeping track better.

Last edited:
I just keep a written log taped to my desk cabinet. I don't like fiddling with programming times and dates, then day light savings time, dead batteries... My trail cams are pain at time change...

Back