Baiting

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpWeek, are you plagued with bears in your area? They would destroy a feeder like yours here in short order.

In SC I am DU. There is no bear season where this club is. I have 2 boars there that reek havoc on the feeders. In this picture, you can see this bear is no cub. Those feeder legs are 11' long. He can still reach the motor. I have it roped off to the trees with 3 ropes. He tore this feeder down twice before I put the ropes on. Then he tore the motor off. I have a 4" heavy nylon strap now helping support the motor now. He has been there several times and has not been able to do damage. The 11' legs take his leverage away. They are 1 1/2" conduit with a 1 1/4" inside.

UKzhwKQ.jpg

The second boar is not quite as big but no cub either. You can see the feeder legs to the left where he pushed this one over. I didn't have it roped off.

nd1sDlI.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleUpThey certainly are an aggravating animal for sure.

Especially when you are not allowed to harass them in any way.

Had similar problems here a few years ago. One was in my storage building in the middle of the night eating dog food, and the other a year later turned over a chicken coop and killed 9 of my chickens. Still haven’t figured how that one got the storage building door open.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Would a solar powered fence charger be considered harassment?

Regards,
hm

I have a battery operated electric fence I use when hunting/camping in grizzly country. I put it up about 2 years ago because I could not get shed of the biggest bear. I have the feeder there for deer and mainly hogs. The fence did get the bear to leave but also kept the hogs and deer at bay. I left it up about two weeks and the took it back down.

qegUGlk.jpg

Last edited:
What if you criss=cross your wires just below the motor or maybe build a large hardware cloth box (big enough to let the corn pass) around the motor and charge it up. That way wouldn't interfere with the hogs/deer, but if the bear reaches up there it'll light him up.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996What if you criss=cross your wires just below the motor or maybe build a large hardware cloth box (big enough to let the corn pass) around the motor and charge it up. That way wouldn't interfere with the hogs/deer, but if the bear reaches up there it'll light him up.

Regards,
hm

I will give your suggestions some thought, sounds good on paper.

Thanks,
Greg

The NOSE, 36 hours after I broke a limb off here to clear my shooting lane, he is smelling it. I bet it would be something to be able to smell like him for a day.

XW8Mfm8.jpg

Originally Posted By: hm1996Would a solar powered fence charger be considered harassment?

Regards,
hm

I don't think so. A fence, electric or otherwise is a passive deterrent.

Bear have more rights than we do.

I know this next post probably should be in the Reloading / Rifle / Scope section, but I just wanted to share with my Baiting buddies. Recently I purchased a new ATN 4k Pro digital scope, the 5-20x model in camo. I got it specifically to fit my Ruger American Predator 6mm Rem. Also it will fit the CZ 527 .17 Rem which I need to put back into action occasionally.

I plan to use this scope for coyotes next fall, thus a heads up for next coyote season. In the short term I have a southern hog hunt planned for the middle of June, so I have been load developing for that. I am using an 85 gr. Barnes TSX, but will switch to 55 gr. Blitz Kings for coyotes later. This evening I sighted in at 60 yards (my bait site range from the shack). Once sighted I fired two rounds. Then I moved the target back to a ranged 93 yards and went into the scope's Ballistic Calculator feature and entered 93 yards. The results are below. I am VERY happy. It just illustrates how good these scopes can be at a bait site, and more specifically if a guy operates more than one site where ranges are different.

The inner circle is 1 inch. Muzzle Velocity is 3118 fps.

52921399293_3af61d28fa_b.jpg

52921104934_e7b4fd40dc_b.jpg

52920361592_707075465f_b.jpg

52920361652_829e6a791c_b.jpg

The 6mm Remington and 55 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings just plum flattens coyotes. They can't hit the ground fast enough, so I am looking forward to using this outfit come Sept. Just thought I would share.

Back