Coming in Hot!

DoubleUp

I called in this young female last night. She was coming in hot and in the heat of the moment, I forgot to mute the call. She wouldn't stop to two Whoa's and I missed and easier running shot without enough lead and too high. I finally settled down enough to make the next running shot and my partner put the quick finishing shot into her to finish her.

#66b by Double Up, on Flickr

Been wondering where you’ve been Owen. Thanks. I am assuming the bullet strike past the first shot was into wet vegetation?? Don’t think l have ever noticed that before.

No Mike, it was freshly planted corn up about 6 inches high and dry dirt in the rows. So, it was just a dust cloud from the bullet strike.

We had not hunted much in May with the early full moon, and then we had 3 dry stands in a row when we got past the moon.

It's about over for me this year I suspect. I don't hunt late and it's past 9 now before its really dark enough. My hunting buddy did kill one on our hunt Monday night in another hunting club where we're doing control work, but I don't have his video yet. We were calling a crossroad and I was facing in the other direction, so no video from my scope.

Quote:I am assuming the bullet strike past the first shot was into wet vegetation?? Don’t think l have ever noticed that before.

I believe the reason first shot impact was so visible is because it was a miss and struck @ full velocity. Look closely at the much smaller impact dust cloud after the 2nd shot which was a hit.
The reason you had never noticed it before is most likely because Owen seldom misses.
grin.gif
Unfortunately, I am able to hunt daylight only for past 5-6 years and have noticed that when I miss, the dust cloud is usually obvious beyond the target. Hits, not so much due to the energy shed in the target.

Love the videos, DU, especially in slo-mo. Really helpful in learning lead for those, especially me, who have less experience on running coyotes. I used to never shoot at a running coyote unless he had first been hit, thus very little practice. Have gained a bit more confidence as of late, largely due to watching yours, and others thermal videos. Thanks for posting.

Regards,
hm

Good video, appreciate you posting it up!

Had a similar situation couple days ago with some pigs coming into a peanut field, somewhat different though.

I had stalked about 400 yards to get where some pigs were coming in, but had a fickle wind that shifted on me right as I got there. Which also happened to be right about the time a large boar and satellite boar showed up. In the wrong place. I tried shifting location but they were also trying to get downwind of me, and moving faster than me. They ended up getting my wind and bugging out, and I could not get them to stop. I had the 243 bolt gun and got a really solid hit on the big one as he was moving broadside but he soaked it up. Missed the follow up shot as he was popping over a ridge.

Didn't go look for him since it would have been 300 more yards and across a fence in the wrong direction from my 4-wheeler. I would bet money he is dead though. Not uncommon at all for those big boars to make it several hundred yards with a killing shot.

Back