Load testing?

pyscodog

Years ago a friend of mine was testing different charge weights in his rifle. I don't remember caliber but do remember he shot one bullet from each load at different bulls eyes. Then he would start over. He said he thought that would give each load a fair chance with fouling and barrel heat. I kinda understand what his thoughts were just not sure if it really made a difference. I do know some of my rifles need to foul a little before they really start shooting tight groups. Does his way make any sense or did it just satisfy him?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogYears ago a friend of mine was testing different charge weights in his rifle. I don't remember caliber but do remember he shot one bullet from each load at different bulls eyes. Then he would start over. He said he thought that would give each load a fair chance with fouling and barrel heat. Does his way make any sense or did it just satisfy him?

On my competition stuff, I do do it that way for the same reasoning, plus it's averaging out wind, conditions, and groups as well.

That's how I do it, I read about it a while ago and it made sense to me.

Now a days it wouldnt make a big difference to me but I was loading for Fclass before and round counts down the barrel change groups and when all groups are pretty dang good anyways I think it gives the fairest showing of all charges to be shot through the whole barrel temperature range instead of starting with a cold barrel and light load and finishing with a hot barrel and hot load, or vise versa if you like excitment.

Back