509 yards with a 300 HAM'R

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
We have been going out at night watching over fresh planted peanut fields to keep the pigs off them until the peanut seed can sprout. A couple nights ago we were out there sitting on a good overlook and some coyotes came out. I hit them with a new acrylic open reed call I am testing and one came in about 200 yards and I shot him. After that initial shot the other two over across the valley would not budge.

My partner who loves shooting long range kept insisting we try them. I told him I was shooting my 300 HAM'R which even with a 125 TNT is like throwing a brick out at that distance. Inside 250 I am good, but 500+ is asking a lot from that cartridge. Anyways, he talked me in to taking a poke at them. So I made a WAG on elevation and we did a countdown shot, me shooting left him shooting right. Ended up I smoked mine, and he missed, LMAO!

You can watch the rangefinder in the video.

Congratulations on some really hard holding, Jeff. Guess you didn't take a poke at the one running off for fear of hurting your buddy's feelings, huh?
lol.gif

Regards,
Clarence

Haha, One shot one kill you look like a pro. One kill then a bad miss and you look like an idiot. Best to quit while you are ahead. I already used up my luck on the first shot!

Did I mention that was standing off a tripod?

Last edited:
Good thinkin!
grin.gif

IDK, never shot off a tripod; too complicated for this old man. I can handle two legs pretty well, but that third one is always in the way for me.
lol.gif

ETA: You mentioned protecting the peanuts from hogs until they sprout...don't the hogs bother the plants after they sprout?

Regards,
Clarence

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hm1996Good thinkin!
grin.gif

IDK, never shot off a tripod; too complicated for this old man. I can handle two legs pretty well, but that third one is always in the way for me.
lol.gif

ETA: You mentioned protecting the peanuts from hogs until they sprout...don't the hogs bother the plants after they sprout?

Regards,
Clarence

If you can get the peanut plants up out of the ground the damage does not go away completely, but it goes way, way down. Once that seed nut kind of shrivels up there isn't much to eat. Later the plants will start making nuts but they are green and immature, don't taste good, and will give you the squirts. About 3-4 days after sprouting the pigs won't bother them too much again until getting close to harvest time when the nuts mature. At that point you can get into damage again, especially once the peanuts get dug and flipped on top on the ground, waiting a few days until they dry enough to run the combine over them. Those fallow peanut fields the pigs will cruise them all winter long looking for peanuts the combine missed.

Originally Posted By: obaroThat's a poke in the daylight, let alone the dark with that rig. You did it with witness to boot! Nice shootin'!

Thanks! Not just a witness, but a TX Game Warden a few weeks away from retirement. I could make him swear to it under oath, LOL! He is going back out there with me tonight.

My 243 I have good hard verified data out to 900 and can take a really serious stab at it. I’ve never even looked at a chart over 300 yards for that load in my HAMR. Serious WAG on my part.

Only about 8 feet of drop (give or take a foot) at that distance. Another case of the magic holdover in action. Just wasn’t his day.

Back