221 lb boar this weekend

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
I have a few pig barrels I run at some various different places. One is just about a 10 minute drive from my house. I had a sounder of pigs that were coming in good there and me and my partner were going to shoot them up some night. But then this boar showed up and took the barrel over. Showing up all hours of the day and night, just camping out. So, he had to go.

I've been wanting to get on him and get him off that barrel but everyone has been busy. Saturday night I decided if they were all too busy it was their loss, not mine. When he showed up and I got the cell phone text pic I already had the pickup loaded. I jumped in the truck and rolled on him.

Where this barrel is located is about 200 yards on the other side of a shelterbelt from my entrance road. The moon was fairly bright and my truck is very quiet. I drove in the last 1/4 mile blacked out with no lights, and with brake lights/interior lights cut off. I parked, grabbed the rifle and tripod, and slipped through the shelterbelt. From there I made a dogleg 175 yard stalk to get the angle and wind right on him.

It was pretty dang bright and REALLY still out that night. You could hear every tiny little sound. I could hear him rolling the barrel, I could even hear him breathing and chomping on the corn. Rarely do I ever get all amped up anymore when I am stalking pigs but for some reason that night I did. Probably because I was having to be so careful to not make any sound is what I think. The last little bit I was just moving up 10-15 yards at a time and making sure he wasn't getting spooked. But he was so involved in rolling that barrel and picking up the corn he never noticed me. I got to about 50 yards or so and settled in for the kill. Once I got set up I had to wait just a bit for him to get the barrel rolled around for a good angle.

The first shot I was real steady, and 90% of the time that placement will drop one in its tracks. Maybe I was a bit high, not sure. Pigs being pigs though you never know. It did surprise me when he took off. My second shot I was playing catch up and totally got too far out in front of him on my swing. Third shot though I settled down and was patient and put that base of the tail CNS/spine hit on him which flipped him hard and put him on the ground. It was the first shot that killed him though. He just didn't know it yet when he ran. He was pouring blood out his nose and mouth.

A very fun solo stalk on a good boar though. The scales put him at 221.2 lbs.

Video: https://rumble.com/v2lmzsk-221-lb-boar-4-29-23.html

sliA3nhl.jpg

kogbKnZl.jpg

Looks like the Hammer is working for you. Nice video; sure put him tail over tea kettle.

Regards,
hm

Thanks guys.

It caught me off guard when he took off like that. I was really expecting him to go straight down. But the video was way better because he didn't, lol.

Thanks guys. His replacement has already showed up at the barrel, plus a sow with 7 half grown juveniles. Going to have to get on them here pretty quick. But full moon tomorrow, and a pretty open field to stalk in. May have to wait a week or so. Moon is rising early right now too.

I don't think this guy is quite as big, but he has better cutters.

JJGHMHkl.jpg

By no means is it the preferred shot, but break the pelvis or bust the spine and they will go down every time. May need a follow up but they will go down. I was trying for the back of the head but will take what I can get, lol.

Last edited:
Agreed. I will take what I can get, too. Last Dec, we encountered a boar breeding a sow. We zapped him and she started to take off. I sent a few up her tooter (TX Heart Shots are A-OK in my book).

TC

I made up for it last night with a running head shot on another boar at the same barrel. I’ll post video/pics tomorrow. He was 5 lb shy of this one, but better cutters. It was kind of a strange deal, he heard something and suddenly took off, and I had to bust him.

Back