Custom Call Options

JAMaidens

Custom Call Maker
So, to make posting calls for sale a little easier... what do you guys like in your custom calls? Exotic wood, acrylic, open reed, closed reed, or bite call?

I'm sitting here looking at stacks of blanks and rods of acrylic that need turned! LOL

Good question, one I would like to hear some potential customers answers to as well. Hopefully there will be some good input come in from this thread.

The way I normally do it is just walk out to the shop, look and find a blank that strikes my fancy that day and spin it up.
lol.gif
Since generally I cut my own blanks according to what the wood will allow often the blank itself will determine the size and style of the call. I just try and not get in a rut. Swap around from open to closed reed, different woods, different details, different reeds. Do something I enjoy and keep it fresh.

Last edited:
Yup! I try my best to stay out of "the rut"!!! As a call maker I have various places to sell, but would like to get some calls on here that folks are generally looking for.

I'm currently caught up on custom order stuff, so I would like to focus on stuff that fun to make for me as well as something that everyone would want to add to their collection.

For sure I think this is a great time of year to do some "fun stuff." Sales are usually pretty slow this time of year (from reading past threads) even though I have actually sent out quite a few here lately. I think it is a great time to experiment around. You have been doing this way longer than me and should know better than me about that though.

I will say this, through my giveaway I did, I had several newer guys say they were wanting to get into hand calling. So, it might not be a bad thing to spin up some closed reed, easy to learn calls out of some moderately priced blanks for some guys who are not sure if it is going to be for them, but they want to try it. I think I might do a few squeakers and closed reeds, various woods, and throw in an open reed every now and then or maybe a matched set for guys looking in that direction. IDK, we will see how it goes.

Like I said though, I think it would be great to hear from potential customers!

I’d be up to trying a bite reed. I don’t own one, always thought about getting the one Sceery offers but never did. As far as material, I like it all, wood, antler, horn, acrylic, etc. Different applications for each. Buffalo horn is probably my favorite material in a howler. I’ve got a few exotic wood calls, but a working grade call is just as good. Looks don’t kill, but the fancy stuff sure is easy on the eyes. I’ll take a good sounding call over a good looking call anytime.

It's funny I was just thinking I would start a thread asking the same question haha. I always love buying and trying new materials but there's no point in buying up lots of fun and fancy blanks if people don't want it.
Currently my mind is stuck on acrylic and I'm just looking for an excuse to get more!

I did some hybrid wood/acrylic casting with Alumilite this weekend. I think there will be some pretty neat stuff come out of that. We will see how it goes.

Last edited:
Being as I only see 1 response to this thread that isn't a custom call maker, I figured I'd give my input. I don't intend to buy up every call put out there, however, I may pick one up from time to time.

I usually call predators when it's below freezing and I prefer hand calls just because I think it's more fun and personal than hitting "play". (That's not a knock on e-calls - I use them sometimes.) When I started hand calling I tried some closed reed calls, but moisture froze in them and made them useless, so I tried open reed. I was quite discouraged at first because it was hard to figure out, but after a few years I actually called in a few coyotes, and then boom, my confidence increased significantly. I learned on and still rely on a Primos/Randy Anderson lil dog (the white one) without the removable horn/bell on it for my rabbit distress calls and some ki yis. That is still my go-to confidence call to this date.

I recently purchased 2 custom howlers/prey distress from PM. I received one from ohioyotehntr last night but haven't tried it yet because I share walls with other folks and it's storming today. I'm still eagerly awaiting one from Yotarunner. Last year I purchased an open reed set from Mr. Carver, but I must be slow or something because I haven't played with them enough... yet! They sound really good but I get tired of ringing ears in my pickup on the way to work, haha. It seems it takes time (months to years) for me to warm up to and build confidence with calls.

IF I purchase another custom this year.... I have liked the way JTPinTX spalted pecan calls look. IF I happened to see one that was a loud, open reed rabbit distress (jack down to cottontail) I might not be able to resist...

Happy call building, fellas!

Back