Call Giveaway Part Deux: RULE CHANGE UPDATED!!!

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
I said I was going to do a second part to the call giveaway, and here it is!

The winner gets to pick which one of these two calls they want. No, you don't get both, but but you do get to choose which one! The first one (on the right) is a spalted, stabilized pecan I harvested in Arkansas with really nice color and figure. It has a 1/2" distress board with a .010 reed. Not a super loud call but has a really nice high pitch tone that will do prey distress, a nice high pup distress/kiyi and little puppy howls. The second call (on the left) is is made from very old Bois de Arc, cut from a fencepost that has been in the ground 75-100 years. Out in the sun this thing has amazing golden iridescence in it that goes deep in the wood. The board in this one is a 5/8" distress board with a .014 reed. It has a deeper more coarse tone, will still do a great raspy jack and in the middle of the board does really nice, more mature pup distress and kiyi. It will also do some howls, more of a juvenile of female type. Any potential winner has a few weeks to think about it!

zDmZO7Eh.jpg

This contest is going to be pretty simple, Basically I want to see lots of pictures of predators you have called up and the call or some of the calls you used to call them up!

So here are the rules. This contest is open to anyone who is a member here. Regular members, Mods, other Custom Call makers and vendors, everyone. Level playing field. You can post as many LDP's and call pics as you like, but your name only gets entered once for the drawing. No multiple entries through sock puppets (or any sock puppets at all for that matter will be allowed).

To be an official entry your post needs to say you want to be entered, it must have a picture of a predator you killed with a hand call, and a picture of the call you killed it with. Also tell us who made the call and what type it is. That can be two separate pictures, or both the predator and the call can be in the same pic, I don't care. You can tell a story with it in your post, or not, whatever you want.

Time frame, I want to keep it within the last 3 years or so. I know there are folks whose season is closed now so we will let it go back a ways. Nothing from 1973 or anything like that (even though we may do one of those contests sometime, it would be cool). I prefer more recent kills the better. I would really like to see some guys go out and call some up and get pics specifically for this contest, though that is not required. Contest will run until Thursday May 25th at 8am Texas time. That gives 3 weeks from today to go kill something and get a pic, and then hopefully I can get the winners call mailed out to them before the weekend.

Entries are now open, POST UP!

Last edited:
An example entry could go something like this (note, this is not an actual entry from me, lol):

Please enter me in the giveaway. This is 3 coyotes me and my partner killed back in January with a couple of custom cocobolo closed reed calls from Prairie Wolf Specialties. One call is a single reed high pitch cottontail and the other is a double reed raspy jack.

wzRW3RMh.jpg

Great idea for a this forum. I think you have the calls backward for your description. I think the Pecan is on the right hand side and the Bois is on the left by the picture posted. Hope to see some great pictures with some hand call in them.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGreat idea for a this forum. I think you have the calls backward for your description. I think the Pecan is on the right hand side and the Bois is on the left by the picture posted. Hope to see some great pictures with some hand call in them.

Yep, you were correct lockrotor, nice catch! I had the calls swapped in the description. I fixed it though, it is correct now.

Well you need to slip out and whack one with a hand call then, because we need some of your excellent photos to go in this thread! Doesn't have to be a fancy story just a couple of nice pictures.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXWell you need to slip out and whack one with a hand call then, because we need some of your excellent photos to go in this thread! Doesn't have to be a fancy story just a couple of nice pictures.

laugh.gif

Not saying it won't happen, but, it might not. I usually leave them alone this time of year. But I'm not religious about it. I'd shoot one next week to get one of your calls
cool.gif

I've got so much other stuff going on though, getting out to make a couple stands won't even be possible for another six weeks, at least. I'm leading an annual ghost town tour next weekend, backpacking the next weekend, rock chuck hunting the next, 4x4'ing into The Maze the next, taking my family on vacation the next, going on a metal detecting trip the next. And so on!

But, if the opportunity arises during these travels, I do always have a hand call and a rifle with me
grin.gif

- DAA

I will be more than happy to post some pictures next fall with some of your calls that are on the way. Thanks again for spinning up a few calls for me. If anyone is looking for some hand calls this guy is a great guy to do business with.

I guess I'll give you a pass Dave. This time. But you are on notice, lol. If I have to do another giveaway next fall/winter to get some of your pictures in a hand call thread I will.

All right, we have our first entry! Nice pictures and nice calls there Brad. I know you have your eye on that spalted pecan with the 1/2" tone board.

Now the rest of you guys need to step up some and get some entries going. Y'all don't make me pay that shipping up to Canada again! (I sent Yotarunner some wood here a while back, and he sent me some calls, so we have already had some back and forth shipping.)

Last edited:
Man, y’all need to get busy and post up some pictures. Right now Yotarunner is the only entry. I won’t even have to do a drawing, he will win by default. I sure don’t mind him winning it, but he needs some competition! These are a couple of great sounding calls. I figured I would have lots more interest than this in a giveaway.

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXMan, y’all need to get busy and post up some pictures. Right now Yotarunner is the only entry. I won’t even have to do a drawing, he will win by default. I sure don’t mind him winning it, but he needs some competition! These are a couple of great sounding calls. I figured I would have lots more interest than this in a giveaway.

Much as I'd love to win it's no fun if nobody else enters. Maybe open it up to within 2 or 3 years?

Ok, sounds like a plan. Let’s back it up and say and say anytime in the last 3 years, give or take. Surely a few folks have a pic of something they killed in that time frame. If not then we really need to work on getting a resurgence going in the mouth/hand calling skill set!

So let’s go guys, surely some if you can drag up some pics from last 3 years!

I’ll update the rules in the original post to open it up.

Last edited:
Hey, Jeff, no pictures here, 'cause its been way too long since I got out and shot a coyote and I can't remember whether I used a hand call or not. Heck, not sure if the last one was even in 2022. Bummer!
lol.gif

Oh well, looks like I may be able to get out again before long so gotta have one of those great looking Bois de Arc calls of yours. PM sent.

ETA: Originally Posted By: YotarunnerMuch as I'd love to win it's no fun if nobody else enters. Maybe open it up to within 2 or 3 years?
thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
Clarence

Excellent! Glad to get another entry! I love my Carver 220 Swift. Very nice blowing call, great sound, have carried one for many years. I don’t have a Bunny Bomb, kicking myself for not getting one when I had the chance!

Back