223 suggestions

pyscodog

I picked up a new to me rifle today. Remington 40XB in 223 Rem. Pretty sure its a 12 twist which I have no issues with as I like light and fast. Just curious what you would try first as far as weight and powder. I have lots of different brands and weights suitable for the twist. have 52 grain Bergers but use them in three other 22 calibers so I'm going to hold back on using them as a last resort. They're to dang hard to get right now.

I'm not new to the 223, just curious what others would do with a new to them rifle. Already gave it a good cleaning so I'm ready to start loading.

Since you don't want to dig into your Berger stash, next step for me would be one of the Nosler Ballistic Tips, 40, 50, or 55, depending on what you're looking to do with it.

First choice in powder would be Accurate 2230.

Right now its just a stress reliever rifle. Mostly punching paper and steel. To heavy for this old man to drag around in the woods. I have lighter rifles for that. I'd love to whack ground hogs with it but haven't a clue where to go to do that around here.

I have different flavors of Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, Barnes, maybe a few Speer. I have Accurate 2230 also. CCI, Rem 7.5 and Federal 205M primers. Lapua and lots of Winchester brass.

Remington 700 26" SPS W/ 12 T using Winchester brass & WSR primers.

All loads produced well under MOA (lots of 2's & 3's).

H335-40gr Vmax

Varget- 55 gr VMax

Vaeget, H335, R15 & CFE 223- 60 Vmax

I have all those listed as well TXCOONDOG. Guess I just need to thrown some together and go shoot. That's the fun part.

Last edited:
One thing to note on the SPS model:

I cleaned all the copper fouling out of the barrel and it took 50 rounds before it would shoot the tightest groups with the loads I worked up.

Same thing happened on my 308 SPS too with the 12T. Now I clean them but don't remove the copper fouling. Don't get me wrong, they both shot around MOA, but once copper fouled, the groups tightened 1/2" more.

I see the Hornady 52 BTHP on shelves, run with Benchmark. You should know the accuracy potential of the barrel with that combination.

I had two new box's of 55 grain BlitzKings so I loaded up some of them with A2230. May be a day or so before I can try them as I'm installing a new recoil pad on the stock. Previous owner bubba'ed a Morgan adjustable pad on it and it looks like.......well, really bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Foxpro.223Fed205M

H322

52 BTHP

Got that stuff to. I have the BK's loaded already so I'll try them first. Thanks

You will likely run your wheels off to find a load that does not sweeten up at some powder charge or seating depth than in looking for a good one that groups well.

It’s a fairly easy cartridge to get comfortable with and in that rifle ..... it should be in a league of its own.

Three44s

I have some Sierra 55 BK loaded up to play with. Bought a bunch for 16.00/box last summer. Was thinking more for my 22-250, but have to allow least try them in the 223(AR).

The A2230 and the 55 grain BK's shot super good but I still want to run some others through it just to see what it likes. Five rounds in a ragged hole is hard to beat and made me very pleased but maybe I can get the ragged hole a little smaller.
smile.gif

50gr Hornady SP have always been a favorite bullet of mine. They're my main bullet stash, I make sure I've got a good supply of 50gr SP and then a couple boxes of other fancier bullets to play with. They're the cheapest bullets I could get at the shop and they shoot great in my gun.

Sierras are my other favorite, I haven't shot one I didnt like.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogThe A2230 and the 55 grain BK's shot super good but I still want to run some others through it just to see what it likes. Five rounds in a ragged hole is hard to beat and made me very pleased but maybe I can get the ragged hole a little smaller.
smile.gif

If you're chasing groups, dig into you Berger stash.

A quick check shows them in stock almost everywhere.....

https://www.eurooptic.com/Berger-22-Cal-52gr-FB-TArget-1-000Pk-.aspx

I need to start looking for Bergers again. I had about given up on them for a while but Urbanrifleman had some a while back and I scored a few box's from him. If they are starting to show up again I might just tap into them once again. I do like those Berger bullets.

I went looking for more Bergers and found some.......in my stash. Somewhere I bought 400 more and don't remember when or where but got seven full box's and one nearly full. LOL, got to love old age.

Just read another 223 post and I bought them at a gunshow. Now I remember.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodog got to love old age.

Sounds like you can start hiding your own Easter eggs........
grin.gif

Back