Brush Gun Optic

TXCOONDOG

I have a Ruger Ranch in 450 Bushmaster that will be for brush and woods use and most shots will 50 yards and under.

Looking for a recommendation on 1-4, 1-6, etc. I hunt a lot at first/last light and want the widest field of view I can get. I looked at the VX5 & VX6 but not sure I want to spent 800-1200 on a scope that will get beat to death hunting in the woods and riding on an ATV.

I would look seriously at the Leupold 1.5-5x20 I believe it comes with Firedot. Rarely will you have to turn the power up to 5x so you will have as much light coming through it as your eye can handle. I use a number 1-4x20 thru 1.5-5x20 scopes and have not had a problem with low light, if I can see them coming in with my bare eyes I can see them in the scope.

If you can't bring yourself to go with a 20mm objective there are a number of 1.5-6x40mm scopes out there. I think I have a half dozen of various makes and like them a lot also but most of the modern ones have 30mm tubes and are quite heavy.

One of the really important things in a brush/woods scopes is "eyebox", the ability to see through the scope even if your head isn't in the exact perfect position and Leupold is very good here.

Another is fit of the rifle, if you have to move your head around to see through the scope it is slowing you down. Your rifle should fit to the point of when the butt hits your shoulder you should be looking through the scope.

Reticles are important also, heavy and bold. German #1&4 work really well as does a heavy duplex. I field tested a scope for a company, a 1-6x24 with floating circles for a reticle with no horizontal bars. I had a very hard time getting on critters. I called five in and never killed a one.

My little 20 Practical is wearing a Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x20 with the PigPlex and I'm liking it.

The 20P with Leupold, note the butt bag, you will see them on most of my rifles, not to carry stuff in but to raise the comb for a better fit.
4fQ2xj.jpg

Last edited:
For a LPVO that won't break the bank and has actually impressed me in all regards so far, take a look at the Vortex PST GenII 1-6x24. I've had mine on an AR since last summer and it has been great. Optical quality is very good and for a scope that cost $600 I don't know any other LPVO's that compare.

Or, if you want even cheaper, get a Vortex Crossfire 2 1-4x20. I just put one on my coyote AR and so far really like it. It's a got an adjustable lighted dot reticle with typical crosshairs. No fancy windage or elevation hash marks, just simple crosshairs and dot. It's not the best glass, obviously, but for around 200 bucks, I'm pretty pleased with my purchase.

Burris RT-6 1-6x24mm with FastFire III - Ballistic AR Illuminated
The RT-6 Tactical Kit is an RT-6 scope, FastFire 3 and P.E.P.R.™ mount. It makes for an outstanding kit for people just getting into 3-Gun or tactical shooting. The RT-6 is tearing up 3-Gun competitions everywhere, thanks to a great feature set: forgiving eye-box, compact scope length, true 1x, built-in throw levers, and great competition reticle. This kit gets you what you need to be competitive all in one box.

AWS nailed it as far as what I'm needing in a brush gun scope with the reticle, eyebox, etc. as I want it bold and simple. In short, no FFP or tactical reticles as I have them and they are not a fit for me in this application.

I appreciate all the responses thus far.

I had the same as desert ram on a marrochi combo gun and really liked it. Kept it for a backup along with my nighteyes gun light if l ever had trouble with my thermal.

Originally Posted By: gr8fuldougBurris RT-6 1-6x24mm with FastFire III - Ballistic AR Illuminated
The RT-6 Tactical Kit is an RT-6 scope, FastFire 3 and P.E.P.R.™ mount. It makes for an outstanding kit for people just getting into 3-Gun or tactical shooting. The RT-6 is tearing up 3-Gun competitions everywhere, thanks to a great feature set: forgiving eye-box, compact scope length, true 1x, built-in throw levers, and great competition reticle. This kit gets you what you need to be competitive all in one box.

My son has that scope. On a sunny day the illumination isn't enough to see the reticle in red. It is visible as a normal black scope reticle but too weak to show red on a bright day.

I got a TRS-25 for zero cost using points to see if I actually like a red dot on a rifle before trying an actually scope. I'll be shooting my own cast bullets in briars, yaupons shrubs, palmettos, etc. at hogs so hopefully it works out.

Thanks for input and feedback all.

I'm anxiously awaiting your field report on the TRS25 on that beast. Was thinking of putting one on my mossberg for the same reason: brush gunning! lol.

Hope you're well friend.

It never made it to the field as it was having intermittent issues with staying on under the recoil of a 310gr @ 1833 fps in a 5.5lb rifle. I definitely would not trust it on a 12gauge if it can't handle the recoil of the BM.

I bought a Vortex Sparc Solar and it has been solid. I'm waiting on my stamp for the Griffin Bushwacker 46 which should help with blast out of the 16" barrel
smile.gif

No more Trijicon for me. I've had the RMR & AccuPoint 3-9 and both had issues.

When you sell 1000's of scopes, there will be some with issues and for me, it's how it's handled, time, etc. They did a poor job on all counts so I'm done with spending my money with company's that don't take care of their customers quickly and fairly.

It took them a while before they came out publicly and said the RMR's were having battery connection issues among other things.

The AccuPoint had issues with holding zero which really come to light riding around on an ATV over rough terrain, and then the fiberoptic stopped working shortly after the first repair.

Trijicon did eventually fix both, I sold them and never looked back.

Crazy how people's experiences can vary so much. I have been using various Trijicon products for years and have never had anything but perfect service from them. And honestly know of nobody that has had any issues with their Trijicon products. But I have never had to use their customer service either. Sounds similar to Beretta/Benelli, fantastic products and the odds of having issues with any of their products are very low. But if you do have to use customer service get ready for a long tough ride because by all accounts they are not friendly folks to deal with and take forever once in the queue. I'll keep using Trijicon products until I have a reason not to. Good luck in your search, cheers!

Originally Posted By: GCCrazy how people's experiences can vary so much. I have been using various Trijicon products for years and have never had anything but perfect service from them. And honestly know of nobody that has had any issues with their Trijicon products. But I have never had to use their customer service either. Sounds similar to Beretta/Benelli, fantastic products and the odds of having issues with any of their products are very low. But if you do have to use customer service get ready for a long tough ride because by all accounts they are not friendly folks to deal with and take forever once in the queue. I'll keep using Trijicon products until I have a reason not to. Good luck in your search, cheers!

I appreciate the response, but didn't want you to say it a third time
smile.gif

Take care

Back