Osage Orange open reed

JTPinTX

Custom Call Maker
Here is another call out of that 75 year old Bois de Arc fencepost. It looks nice in the picture, but you really need to watch the video I took to see how the golden iridescence makes that wood come alive. I really like this wood! Turns really nice, finishes well, sounds great, and the subtle beauty of it just blows me away. I put a nice satin finish on this one because I thought it really matched the wood and the historical aspect.

For sure I have to go back out there and load up a bunch more of those old posts!

The Bois de Arc call is a 5/8" tone board, distress/howler. The other call is spalted pecan with a 1/2" distress tone board. On the road to getting me a system and style figured out on these open reeds. Pretty satisfied with how they are turning out. Not perfect but making lots of progress!

Video:
https://rumble.com/v2jgse0-bois-de-arc-call-out-of-75-year-old-fence-post..html

W3zFIu9h.jpg

Actually I mis-spoke. The board in the Bois de Arc call is not the Yellerdog Howler/Distress, but the SS2 Distress board. Even though it will howl pretty good too I think. I had both laying here on my bench working with them and typed in the wrong one. The smaller call is the SS1.

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it. Open reeds are a new thing to me building them. I'm just trying to learn and get it all figured out, taking it slow. Reading old threads going way back in time, trying things, absorbing knowledge wherever I can.

Any input that anyone wants to throw in I am all ears.

Back