NYS Coyote Hunters

Thanks John....

Appreciate your insight.........and kind words....

....oh yes, and your avatar.....cool!

I always laugh when I watch them mouse like that....gotta give them a headache, once the hunger pangs have been cured.

Bob

bob, sorry to hear about your mishap with that kid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif glad everythings ok.

anybody been out bravin' the wind and cold temps?

i haven't been. waitin' till deer seasons over. although with that snow we had the other day i had the itch to go out. probably should of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif they gotta be really huntin' now with the cold and snow here.

good huntin', dave aka goose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob:

Thanks, just found that Fox picture the other day. I didn't know this, but Fox will also do the jump/pounce like in the picture for insects too! I did not know they ate insects, not all the time but will on occasion. Interesting.

goose,
I was all dressed to go out last night, got in the truck drove out to the first stop light and the light was bouncing so hard it looked like it was going to fall to the road from the wind. I said forget it and went home to build up some addaboys with the wife. Lord know I need them for the upcoming season.
-Nick

Yea... it was miserable! I got a field report from a friend and it was super windy!!! Stayed home and watched Rudolph with the kids

goose,

Thanks for the concern...I guess if it had to happen, it's result was a learning experience for both me and the kid. Hopefully for the kid, it was a big lesson that'll stick.

I think that pain, both mental & physical, creates a mental bookmark.....to remember, and although it scared the living sh*t outta me, I'm sure he was sore the next day for sure. Hopefully it stuck with the kid....I know it did for me.
I remember stupid kid things I did when I was young, and sometimes I wonder how God saw fit to let me live through it all.

Next time I pass a group of kids, I won't ever again assume that there isn't at least one out of the bunch that's willing to tempt fate, or take a stupid youthful chance at life. Not at my hand.

RC,

Yeah, I'm sure those fox will jump for grasshoppers & such. Still part of their diet I guess.
Just funny to watch them do that flying leap & head crash thing.

There had been days that I just sit there, watch them do that and laugh. Part cat, part canine.

Take care all,
Bob

Is anyone familiar with Harpursville,it is about 15 miles from Binghamton.Very close to the town of Windsor.I'll try to scan a picture on here.My friend in Windsor took a 580 pound black bear 2 weeks ago and the height was 7 foot 1 inch,what a monster.If anyone wants a picture of it i can make copies and mail it to you,just let me know,my email is oiler1995@hughes.net You won't believe the size of this bear it has to be a record in this area,Billy.

oiler,

my wife's aunt and uncle live not far from you. there in brackney,pa. they are big hunters and they were telling me they have been seeing more bears every year by them. i asked them about the coyotes and they say that they don't see many. nice country there for sure!

take care,
dave aka goose

Last edited:
Goose, I've heard that so much building and encroaching on both the bear and the deer habitat in S.PA and Central PA is pushing them farther north. I know a lot of hunters in PA are p$ssed at the lack of deer they are seeing. And S.PA has/had some REALLY BIG bears and deer. Methinks they are moving North.Regards, Mark.

Mark & goose,

That's possible in PA. I know their deer populations have been dwindling down there, same as up here in southern NY. I originally came from up north of central NY (rifle country), and left there back in the early 80's.
Deer populations up there, back then, were very slim. To shoot a deer, you had to track them in hopes of getting a shot.
The populations of deer in NY's southern tier back then were much, much higher, so we use to head south to Watkins Glen and Redding Center to hunt them. Geeze, they were all over the place back then......you didn't know where to shoot next.

Since that time, and since I moved down to the southern tier, populations have dwindled terribly. Most of my family & friends from up north say that the deer populations have risen greatly up there, and I wonder if they have migrated from PA and southern NY on up to the Adirondacks.
Who knows.....

I've been seeing a lot of fox sign, and several foxes themselves, traveling in the open fields and diversion ditches out back. My neighbor, Dave, who has been hunting our swamps out back regularly, said that since the fresh snows, he's seen a lot of coyote sign.
One of the gut piles out in the swamp has had numerous coyote tracks circling it, and we're assuming that possible human scent that was left there, is keeping at least one, or several coyotes from gnawing on it.

Last year Dennis shot a sick buck that was diseased, and it was left where it fell. It was festering from an old wound, and we never laid a hand on it. That buck laid there for a month and a half before anything started feeding on it. It froze about solid, so it's scent must have been minimal. Either that, or it was so badly diseased & smelling that nothing would touch it, but I doubt that.

After next Tuesday (a week from today), it's "Coyote & Fox Only", so I've got the rifles tuned and ready to go.
I'll get a chance to run those calls through the gauntlet there Mark.....especially that bullet call.

TKS,
Bob

Well goose and all,

Next Tuesday is it for deer season, and then we can pull out the heavy artillary.

I've got the rifles all tuned and ready to go, and since Mark (sureshot) has supplied me with some "sweet" new calls from Kerry Carver, (been practicing with them driving the wife nuts) I'm ready to hit the field.
There's been a lot of coyote and fox sign out back, I'm sure in big part to the number of gutpiles we've seen, so maybe we can catch them passing through without even a squeek made.
With the newer calls, I'll be leaving the e-caller in the shop for awhile. Until I can get my hand calls recorded, and on disc, I won't be using it as much.
The factory calls I have been using don't seem to have the needed "pinch" to get coyotes to come in. They work pretty well on fox, but they'll usually come into just about anything that sounds even slightly "distressed".

Coyotes are a different breed of game, and even more so, up here in the northeast. Not easy to call.
I'm also going to climb a couple of trees and do a little stand hunting, like sleddog mentioned. I've hunted treestands very heavily during deer season for many, many years, but hardly, if ever, did it much when hunting coyotes.
It makes sense that it'd be a better choice providing I have one of my climber stands, or a good natural stand is nearby. Over the years, I've seen far more game when in one.

goose.......
...one of those trips down towards Springville, and other parts south, we gotta hook up and hit some local "untouched" spots.

Gettin' ready.........

Take care,
Bob

Was down in your 'neck' of the woods on Tuesday (southern tier). Made 3 - 45 minute stands. Nothing. Called in some birds though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Lots and lots of tracks, fresh too. You name it, it was out there. Deer, coyote, turkey, rabbit and a few I didn't recognize. Just my luck I couldn't call anything in. Oh well, I'll be going down again right after the holidays.

Meanwhile, back home here (Niagara County), the coyotes where mocking me. This picture was taken Friday morning in a small field (some corn there too) on the street behind my home. The day before there was a flock of Turkeys (about 15+). I now carry my camera everyday when I go by there. I am definitely going to find the owner(s) and some farmers land around here and get permission to hunt. With so many coyotes in population here (was in the newspaper and radio) this is the spot to hunt. Will let you know how I make out with the land/permission thing.

PC140026.jpg

NICE !

I'd be at the owner's house ASAP....and show them that photo (unless you realize they're PETA).

I'll bet those dogs haven't been educated at all, and the first time you call on them, you'll end up with a lap full.

I've been saying all along that the big populations are skirting the cities. Out here in the boondocks, you rarely see that at all, and if you catch one out like that, it's usually late during mating season.

C'mon RC get in there and nail one....virgin territory....yes !

Take care,
Bob

Bob and RC, muzzleloader went great. Saw over 40 deer in 3 days. Most gratifying to see my PA huntin bud go back with a very nice buck ( considering he hasn't seen a PA deer in the North central section of PA all season and little to no sign.)One last note on the deer. A number of the bucks were being traversed by 1 to 2 young does obviously in a late heat.May be the 50 degree temps down here? Anyway, stricky teethy critter time. RC, get them yotes!! Be talkin to ya's . Best, Mark.

Geeze Mark,

Dennis and I will move down there.....40 deer seen & a buck taken by Brian...nice visit,me thinks...lol
We went out yesterday with the old smokepoles and saw nothing. My neighbor Dave was out in the swamp on his bucket and had two does pass him early, but he was reading his hunting magazine to pass the time and thought they were squirrels til it was too late......hahahaha.
About the only place I read is......well, never mind, it was funny. Dave has a traditional ML, and by the time he saw them it was too late and they were out of range.

There were notes of encouragement though, Dennis and Dave both spotted a coyote and a fox den within the area's that we've been hearing howling over the last 2 or 3 years. And with ML season dwindling away, we might've found where the buck, or bucks have been bedding (more like hiding) during the day, and one of them is a very big one judging by the size of the trees torn up and his "on hoof" size and weight.

Well, gotta head out for day 2,

Take care,
Bob

Found an "apex" near a bedding area where the deer come up from the lower areas and come down from the upper areas in the afternoon mostly. Was a "parade." Knowin "field craft" paid off. Hope you and Dennis do well today. MeThinks the doe population is on the uprise down here. Best, Mark.

Mark & Bob:

Glad to hear your trip went well, Mark. And your right, with the temperatures being in the 50's so late in the year (and from the weather reports it's going to continue) I'm not surprised at this at all. In fact the change in the weather/climate in the past few years has probably changed the way a lot of animals reproduce (along with movement, etc.).

Bob:

Your going to nail one yet. The hunting gods owe you.
As for the coyotes in my own back yard you better believe I'm going to go to all the local farmers and ask permission. They know about the coyote epidemic up here and I'll bet they're having problems with them. It's unreal, they are all over up here, prime virgin territory.

Now a question. I have heard that there is a local government office anyone can go to and they will have maps of the area and who owns the farm/property/etc. Do you guys remember (or heard of) this? And where do you think they'd keep these maps? (This is the same in any county.) Thanks if you know....

Rc, ya hit that climate/movement/reproduction question square on the head of the nail.As to the second. You can look at the maps in the town clerks office,at least here.Mark.

RC,

Yeah, I think Mark's right on that one. In our county, the Co. Clerk's office is adjacent to the county's tax maps office, if they aren't one in the same. Going in with a good location, name, or lot number, will help a lot.
In other words, if you know who owns an adjacent property, and can get their name and address, you can easily figure. from that information, who owns the property you wish to hunt.
I've done this before when no one lived on the land, but a name was needed to even ask for permission.

Quote:
Your going to nail one yet. The hunting gods owe you.

Allah has heard your prayers and has granted the subject of them....fruitful bounty.......

Meat on the hook as of this afternoon, and I emailed Mark a photo of my tired butt with the future source of my venison hotdogs & jerky. I've been out hunting over the last week or so, and haven't gotten much sack time. Last night, about 4 hours, and the night before, about the same or maybe a tad more.
I've been walking all kinds of miles and running this block of woods out back of my place chasing deer. I know the property very well, and I know where the deer bed, feed and pass between the two. Hunting pressures change their usual course of business from pre-season, to season, and then back. Knowing where they'll be is half the battle.
Although muzzleloader season isn't as intensive as regular season, it's still hunting pressure to them, and they bed in the swamp's outlying tag alders where it's extremely thick. Human scent takes on a whole new meaning, and even though the pressure has let up somewhat, it hasn't been long enough after season for them to ignore it yet.

Anyhow, I knew that the doe's were coming up in my back property about 150yds out behind my house where I have a large section mowed down. They like to sneak in on my scrub apple trees and snack. Well, I finally said to hell with it and, as I told Mark, decided to smack one of the "feeder deer" (which we jokingly call the deer that come up and eat out of the bird feeders in people's yards). We don't have any feeders, but I guess the apples work.

Well, I lay in wait out in my back yard and at dusk, out they came. I picked the largest of the two and I whacked her with a "quartering to me" (not the best angle to shoot), shot to the chest. She ran probably about 40yds. and dropped in an adjacent brush lot. No blood trail, no snow, and it was raining....geessh what luck. After a short track job, I finally located her.
I just thought it kind of stupid to be putting on all the miles to kill something that visits me every night.

Well, she's sleeping like a bat in my garage (upside down on the gambrel) and I'm going to send her to "finishing school" (my butcher) tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind prayers to the "Allah of Vension"...and I hope his brother the "Predator Pope" answers our pleadings for a bountiful upcoming season....hehehehe.

Take care guys....gotta hit the sack...

Bob

Back