Extra Extras

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
Gun, check. Camo, check. Stool, check. Caller, check. Predator, working on it. Am I forgetting anything? Absolutely. You’ll never know what you’ll need until you need it.

I was a Boy Scout, our motto, Be Prepared. It’s usually too late to realize that you need something when you need it. It is one of the big concerns beginning predator hunters worry about. But the bottom line is, you’re probably going to leave something at home. Now, I can call in predators with minimal amounts of gear. But there is something to be said for comfort and convenience.

Now some equipment is going to be more useful than others. For starters you are going to need to be stable to make the shot on a predator. Shooting sticks are one of the go to pieces of equipment. You probably won’t need it if you are using a shotgun, that’s a lot of quick point shooting. But if you’re hunting using a rifle, you’re going to need a way to be stable. At minimum you’re going to want a monopod. But monopods are not as stable as bipod shooting sticks. There are several different types of sticks. There are the one piece designs, where the stick cannot be adjusted. Many predator hunters that use this type of stick or sticks, they have 2 tied together and they can adjust them to some level by spreading them apart. There are the multi-piece designs, they are essentially like tent poles, again lashed together. Same problem as the one piece types. I prefer the telescoping designs. They are more user friendly as they are pretty easily adjustable. Again these come in different designs. I use the type that allow you to twist the legs to loosen, then lengthen/shorten them then twist to tighten. There are types like the Trigger Sticks by Primos that will allow you to adjust them with a trigger. I personally use the Polecat standing bipod sticks from Primos. I am a taller guy, so I need the extra height of the standing sticks. I have used them for so many years that there is a spot worn on the yoke from my rifle’s handguard.

65483_Tall BiPod by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

When I began hunting with a camera and I was trying to film my hunts, I switched over to a carbon fiber tripod from one of our sponsors over at Night Goggles. I love my tripod. It is easy to adjust, it is stable and it helps me to make videos. But a tripod may not be the best choice for your particular style of hunting, but I sure like them.

image000001 (2) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Unless you are going to be able to perched atop a rock or some other kind of stable platform, I wouldn’t recommend a bipod mounted to your rifle. Most bipods are just too low. Odds are you’re going to be looking right into a bush or a rock with them. I have had many, many different types of bipods and most just live on a shelf. I have used them sometimes at the range but I don’t recommend that either. You need to shoot your rifle at the range the same way that you are going to be hunting it. If you are going to hunt with sand bags then shoot your rifle with them at the range. But if you are going to shoot from sticks in the field then shoot from sticks at the range.

Next your going to probably want some way to hold all the little odds and ends that you are going to have out on stand, like your remote, hand calls, extra ammo, etc. I recommend either a chest rig or maybe eve a padded duty belt with pouches.

81Qgy9mcVbL._AC_SX569._SX._UX._SY._UY_ by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I run a duty belt when I am out calling coyotes. I have a shoulder harness that supports the weight, spare mags for my rifle and pistol. My knife, multi-tool, flashlight, etc. I also have my remote mounted in a pouch on my should harness.

harness and belt by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Now, if I am going out calling foxes or bobcats I switch to my chest rig. I usually run around in the hills in a Ranger or other side by side and my duty belt tends to be a bit uncomfortable. So I have a tactical chest rig that I have the same basic extras that I have on my duty belt. There are plenty of options out there for you, there’s a lot of tactical gear on the market. A lot of it can be adjusted to be used for hunting.

7172U1YB9tL._AC_SY550._SX._UX._SY._UY_ by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I have other friends who choose to use a tactical vest, but since I have to change my outer garments based off of weather, I don’t use a vest. But there’s nothing wrong with them.
I try to keep the amount of equipment on my belt to a minimum.
I also use a pair of knee pads. I have had more than a few run-ins that necessitated a quick drop to one knee, or up on top of a rock, and my knees appreciate the knee pads.

Gloves are a must. This may fall partially under camo, but gloves are nice. The deserts that I hunt in are full of spiny things looking to embed thorns into my hands. I use leather gloves that I dye green. I used to use tactical gloves but I found them wearing out too fast. Many of those gloves I bought are not really built to go through the use that I put them through.

Since we’re on the topic, might as well talk about camo. You need to try and see like a predator. I started using camo that I though matched the desert. Then I started running photos of myself through a black and white filter and I realized I looked like a giant white blob. The desert looked a lot darker than I realized. I sit in front of larger trees or bushes. My camo needed to match what I was sitting in front of. I started using RealTree AP HD and found that it blended in better to the brush, rocks and trees than desert camo. Take photos of your hunting areas and run them through a black and white filter. If your camo stands out, change it up. I try not to match my pants, jackets and shirts. I mismatch them intentionally. Avoid becoming a blob.

I also use a mask and a boonie cap. Anything you can do to break up your outline, to look like anything except what you really are is going to buy you more opportunities to get a shot off.
I know there are plenty of hunters that run different gear out there. I have hunted with guys in blue jeans. They can be successful. I want every chance that I can get to get a shot off. While there are things that I go out with all the time, I try to run as light as I can. No backpack. Light. In most cases I’m not going more than ½-1 mile from my truck, IF that. Most my stands are much closer than that. I’ve called coyotes right past my truck. Now if you are trekking into the back country, then obviously your gear should reflect that. But most don’t need to go that far. Take only what you need to take.

Hey Mo,

I'm just getting started in predator hunting and doing my homework first. I am learning a lot from your Predator Hunting 101 series.

You have addressed concealment and breaking up your figure/outline, and mentioned a face net. What about us predator hunters who wear glasses? What things can we do to help hide any glare from the lenses, and for that matter, glare from optics on your boom stick? I have an adaptor for the front lens on my scope that looks like a honeycomb that is supposed to minimize light reflection. Good or not so good?

Mark

As far as glasses go, you can get thin flat black frames. Shiny gold or silver frames reflect/sparkle in the sun. Wear a brimmed hat to keep the sun off your lenses, if the sun can't hit them they won't shine. They make anti-reflective lenses for people that are in front of cameras but I never looked into them.

I wear a face mask that covers the lower half of my face and let the hat and camo hood take care of the rest. It is hard for me to keep glasses from.fogging with a full face mask. I have knit some wool beanies with drop.down face masks but am.not quite satisfied with the results, I've had to design my own pattern so it is slow.to.do they were rk be t need to be fine tuned.

^^^^this + Not always possible, Sit in shade, but do everything possible to keep sun to your back for added insurance & be sure to keep sun off ocular lens of your scope.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: mark85304Hey Mo,

I'm just getting started in predator hunting and doing my homework first. I am learning a lot from your Predator Hunting 101 series.

You have addressed concealment and breaking up your figure/outline, and mentioned a face net. What about us predator hunters who wear glasses? What things can we do to help hide any glare from the lenses, and for that matter, glare from optics on your boom stick? I have an adaptor for the front lens on my scope that looks like a honeycomb that is supposed to minimize light reflection. Good or not so good?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I don't think a little glare is nearly as bad as a human face.

I wear sunglasses and I have gotten a number of coyotes give me that "is that bush wearing glasses" look.

Goid luck and keep those questions coming...

Mo

Back