Call making experiment

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
So a little while ago JTPinTx was kind enough to send me a small block of Boise de arc fencepost he talked about in his recent callmaking forum post.
While cutting it into blocks I got a bit greedy and cut a block too close to the outer weathered edge so when I tightened it into the mandrel I heard a telltale *CRICK* which told me the blank was cracked and likely no good to be used for a sturdy everyday call.
Not wanting to waste such nice wood I hatched a plan to play with some techniques I have been learning for inlaying colors into my calls. The call turned well and the inlaying still needs some work but I figured it would be neat enough to show off to you guys.
PXL_20230408_050024151
And here is the crack carefully secured with superglue. It's hard to see but it runs almost the complete length of the call
52801473809_c942c64b24_c.jpg
[/url]PXL_20230408_050242884.MP

That is cool, I like it. I have fixed a few with superglue or done some epoxy fill, but never tried incorporating a design into the repair like that. I think the barb wire repair theme is very fitting, especially since I know the history of those posts. Good job saving that call!

I would love to learn to make calls - any videos you could recommend ?
The best way to do it is to research how to make duck and goose calls. There is mountains of information on that while us predator guys are looked at as the redheaded stepchild of the call making world and don't get much recognition. If you want feel free to shoot me a pm and I can help get you pointed in the right direction

Back