Dispersal

1oldcoyote

Lately I've read some very old posts on this subject. Most of which I agree on various aspects of behavior. However, a few things I disagree.

I believe coyote dispersal takes place. When the alpha female comes in heat. I watched a family group one day on the move amongst the hills. They crossed a gravel road in front of me & continued on into another section. Out around 3/8 mile. They all milled around checking things out then one by one bedded down.

Prior to them bedding down. The male walked up to each yearling. Took them by the throat & pushed their head/upper torso down onto the snow. He held them there for a short while. Then went on & did the same to the other yearlings. The female sat by watching. Then joined him on the last yearling. The following hunt days all of their pups had moved on.

I have never witnessed such behavior(holding yearlings down) only 1x. That same alpha pair the next year. Their yearlings all disappeared around that same exact time.

As for Red Fox kits. The dens I obserbed. The kits all left around 12 weeks of age.

Last edited:
Dispersal has to take place. For example if a territory was trapped out, it would remain empty if there was no dispersal.

Studies have show that unoccupied territories are quickly repopulated as a result of dispersal.

I know of a high fence properties that snare ridiculous numbers of coyotes every year. That would be possible with continual dispersal.

Mid-September, a few years ago, I was muzzle loader elk hunting in NW Colorado.

The morning was absolutely still and quiet. I bet I could hear a twig break at 500yds.

I see a coyote trotting up the valley below me, and I'm thinking a coyote hunt is in order. Before I could break out my call, I hear a coyote barking on the other side of the valley, maybe 600yds out.

The coyote (#1) I am watching barks back and runs up the hill to greet the other coyote (#2). #1 approaches in a submissive manner and starts poking the underside of the belly of #2. It looked like the 2nd coyote regurgitated and #1 starts to eat.

After #1 ate, it jumped around #2 for several minutes, then they went their separate ways.

I suspect I witnessed a parent feeding a young one. It was very cool to watch.

Back