NYS Coyote Hunters

Here is my buck from 11/13. It's a 12 pter (main frame 10 w/ one g-2 split into 3 pts)...

449626.jpg

I'm jealous Andy.....nothing like that passin' by me.

Must be I'm cursed with "scrub traffic" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif.

Goin' out again this afternoon. Weather's finally changed decent for a day, so who knows ?

Gun season starts up this weekend so, I'll crank out the .44Mag, or the 7mm08 pistola's.

The Striker gives me some real nice range on those bigun's that hang at "what they think" is just outta range....hehehe.......

Excellent buck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care,
Bob

Congratulations Andrew, Now that is a nice deer. He is
Pope & Young all day. Im glad I didn't get in the Big Buck contest with you. Congratulations again.

Yep, see....just like I said in my last post.....

Last night, waited in the stand nice & quiet listening to every snap of a twig, or rattle of a leaf, and about 20 mins before dark I could hear the tell tale sounds of critters starting to move out for the night.
I think it was around quarter to 5 or something.

All of a sudden I heard a splash in the smallish creek behind me about 40yds, and bingo, I see body & horns. After getting myself situated in the stand with the bow at the ready, I waited. As the buck mill's in closer, I see that it's another scrub buck (I swear that I'm hunting on an old chemical dump or something).
The funny thing about this one is that it has one horn bent backwards, and the other bent forwards normally.
It was just funny to see that kind of deformity.

The buck cut behind me (downwind) instead of coming past me on the trail, and even with a good saturation of scent neutralizer, he still winded me (must stink pretty bad). It appeared he had some trouble smelling me as he kept testing the wind, and didn't stomp, or get too spooky, but never the less, he still picked up fragments of me anyway.

Good test in case a "normal" buck strolls by I guess.

There's at least three morphidite bucks back there currently, but the activity is still pretty good with the does. Could be those doe's are eating some chemically treated alfalfa or something, when they're pregnant.....don't know.....LOL

Headin' out Sat., for a solid days worth using the .44Mag Hunter. Good chance to test out my cast Lyman Devastator loads.

Take care gang,
Bob

well at least your seeing deer bob!! it would be worse if you didn't see anything! i don't care if it's a scrub rack or not this year, it's going down! the past few years haven't been to productive for me as far as deer. hopefully i can turn things around come sat. good hunting guys!

Well you guys and gals....The big deer season starts this Saturday the 18th. I hope all you gun hunters (not forgetting the bow/muzzle guys/gals) get your trophy buck and have a great and safe hunt!

I'm sitting the deer gun season out this year, but I guarantee you I will be back out in the woods on December 11th (after gun season)looking for Mr. Coyote and Mr. Fox. So all you guys and gals hunting deer that see yotes in the Cattaraugus and Chautauqua area, let me know so I can clear the area for next years deer hunt!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D*mn,
That's one nice buck Andrew. Congrats on a real trophy.
I've been seeing a few but nothing like that!!!
Did see one that I thought was a respectable deer. Closer examination showed it was the biggest 4 pointer I ever saw???? Thing had branched antlers just beyond his ears, but only 2 points on each side. No brow tines. I think it may be related to the bucks you're seeing Bob.
I live in a long time rifle county only about 3 hours from NYC. We have plenty of land here but I think years and years off heavy pressure has made bucks like that really scarce. Guess I'm going to have to "book" a hunt in either Westchester County or Long Island to get my trophy.

Good hunting to you guys tomorrow and most importantly be safe.

Perri

Perri,

Hopefully, you're doing better than me so far.

I decided to hunt 8H with Dennis in the hopes he could fill his doe tag. I guess it was the only doe tag's available to him when he got his license, and it's over on a family friend's farm near Nunda.
Most of the farm is a "pass through" area for deer and they don't seem to hang in there much.

Gotta get them heading from one area to another, or pushed from one of the adjacent fields. Needless to say, I saw about 5 doe, no bucks.
Dennis spotted a little spike that he said he could of shot him several times over, but didn't want the little guy cause he was a "young'un". My thoughts exactly.

Over the years, I've learned the routes and habits of the deer population in the area's I normally hunt around my place. This area we hunted opening day was new to me last year or so, and I hadn't had a alot of time to scout it out.
After opening light, I spent another two hours in my natural tree stand, and then I got down and started still hunting. Normally I'm in the stand from 6:00 AM until about 10 or 11.

Well, once Dennis gets his tag filled, we can hit the better area's around our home turf. We'll see.
Until then, I'll be making solo trips around here.

Take care & good luck,
Bob

goose,

Yeah, I've seen them during bow season. Once gun season starts though, they get very nocturnal.

I use to say to hell with it and nail whatever came through of relatively decent size. I tried being picky before that, and I realized that it had more to do with the emptiness of the freezer, laughingly.

What I do now, is to hunt the season throughout trying to get a decent buck, as I only use about one deer per season for meat (kids and I are the only venison eaters....mostly jerky & hot dogs).
Once the season starts to wain, I'll take, preferably a doe for meat, or a smaller buck (if necessary).

I think that one reason I'm seeing scrubby bucks over the last several years, and not enough bigger racked deer, is because of the non-selective nature that normal hunting methods leave.
In other words, the few nice bucks that frequent the area get taken, and the scrubby horned bucks get the breeding rights, passing on some bad gene's maybe.
Don't know for sure, but there seems to be a cycle here.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some nice ones, and have had a couple chances at them, but it was very rare over the last 10-15yrs.

Anyway....good luck to you and nail one,
Bob

Hi Y'all,

Checking in from Teh greater Arkport area. Lots of foxes running on Saturday. I saw three durign my morning stand. I shot a real nice ten point on my property line around nine o'clock. I was using my muzzleloader. He promptly jumped the fence onto adjacent land, and was ventilated by the hordes of hunters on that ground. I checked where he had been standing, and had good hair, and blood. I tracked through a pine thicket, and looked into the field beyond to see a handful of guys standing around the buck....eighty yards from where I shot him....Not worth fighting over.

I did shoot a respectable nine point later that morning with the encore....love that handgun! I also got a doe last night. I'll try to post a couple of pictures of the buck later today... of course he isn't as nice as the other bucks on here, but he's mine.

Good luck to the rest of you all.

WNYS

WNY,

Nice job.....

I've been through that issue regarding losing a buck, and hunting in close proximity to other hunters....really sucks.

And, yes, it ain't worth fighting over.

I went out and didn't have the opportunity. Saw some, but the wrong brand.....

Once you get the deer outta the way (if you already haven't), you can "gear up" for the "other white meat".....fox & coyotes.

It almost makes me wanna get deer season over & done with so I can concentrate on my 1st love, I guess.

Take care,
Bob

Geeze Goose,

That's a large four point.

Nice going..................

Anyway, as many have told me, "horns make poor soup", so go figure.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm holding out, only to be skunked in the end, but I figured I'd try and get a wall hanger. After all the scouting and messing around, I think I'd rather be "more lucky, than good" in this game.

Well, what's next ? More deer, or onto the predators ?

Take care,
Bob

I like my deer hunting too!! And luck in that department to all. But is this a NYS deer page or a predator page /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif On to fox and yotes. Mark.

thanks handgunr. yeah i'll be doing a bit more deer huntin' but always keepin' an eye out for that wiley coyote..ya know what i mean! as soon as the deer season ends i'll be back to the fox and yote hunting.

sorry sureshot...didn't mean to ruffle your feathers! i just figured that you nys hunters wouldn't mind seeing a couple of deer stories on here?

Kind of did get off on a tangent there maybe....

Well it's just nice to see everyone scoring, no matter what's going down I guess.

Many are trying to fill their deer tags, but we get a lot of fox & coyote action during that time because of all the hunter's cruising the woods.
Dennis pegged a nice male coyote last year with a slug, when he was on stand for deer. Spun his butt in a nice circle.
I'm afraid to see what my cast handloaded slugs will do if he gets a repeat of the same incident this year. They're accurate as all hell, and they carry a large flat nose about the size of a nickle. They're 1 1/4 ounces, and travelling at about 1400fps. so there's some real energy there.

Many guys out deer hunting, won't shoot a fox and take a chance of screwing up their deer hunting, and I'm kind of in that category.
Coyote's yes, fox.....not really, unless it's a real trophy maybe.
After deer season ends, fox are the real "First Responders" of the predator world, and we usually get far more fox responses than coyotes overall. So usually, with that in mind, we give fox the "wave on" during deer season.
Coyote's never get a pass............period.

We'll be changing our tactics somewhat this year and be hunting the thicker cover more so than the last few. Sleddog had mentioned his style, and after considering our experiences over the last 4 or 5 yrs, we decided to modify it somewhat. Not totally, but get a little more strategic I guess.

Along with some new custom calls (thanks greatly Mark), and some additional modfications to our calling, maybe it'll bear some fruit.
Dennis and I hunt together, and seperately, maybe we could gain more ground, "bagwise", but theres also other factors to consider. "More eyes" make sighting them much easier, and having one with a shotgun and the other with a rifle seems to be a bonus in most cases. I think that two hunter's are better overall, if strategies are planned out ahead of time. One on the ground calling with another in a treestand is another concept we're kicking around.

Alternating calls from one to another has it's pros & cons, but if worked out between each other ahead of time, it can really be a winner. Dennis and I try and match our call tones maybe, but vary the volume somewhat.
Using totally different calls, between to hunters, I'm sure, could get very confusing to the quarry.

Hopefully this year will produce some good results....but I said that last year also....so who knows...

Take care,
Bob

sureshot...no problem here either!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif good luck to you also on those critters! hopefully we will all be posting alot of stories and pics of the critters we get! i also hunt the s tier(catt co.) franklinville and lyndon. i know theres coyotes in the area but to get one to respond is another story. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif i think i'm going to use some of the tips that handgunr and sleddog were talking about. i'm going to start to hunt at night also. good huntin!!

Last edited:
Back