Lee perfect powder measure

spotstalkshoot

Today I had to travel into town, Scheels would be my stop on the way out. Found they had numerous powder/primer choices and the ammo is arriving by the pallet. What I left with was a Lee perfect powder measure(29.99) and a RCBS #10 shellholder(4.99). Going to see what all the talk is about on the LPPM, just how accurate is it, going to run a hopper of xterm thru it to season it and then weigh some thrown charges.

I have been using the LPPM for over 20 years. It gets better with age.
Little stiff when new, took it apart and put a liberal dose of graphite on the internals to smooth it out. It handles stick powder better than any I have used. Flake and ball powders leak out the side of the drum pretty bad, so I put a paper plate under it to capture the leaked powder.

Few years ago purchased a Lyman brass smith powder measure for flake and ball, very accurate and no leaks.

ymmv

I ran the hopper of xterm, max throw was 75.6 gr. Throws weighed 0.1 gr difference for 10 throws then I started reducing the throw, until I hit 24.9 gr(my 20p charge with Berger 35 gr bullets). A couple 25.0 mixed in out of ten. So I made a very slight adjustment, the rest scaled 24.9. I will probably load some rds today with it, Mark the cartridges for the next range trip. Stuffed a used dryer sheet in the hopper after I emptied it, there is some static charge in the plastic I would like to eliminate. So far my only complaint.

The Lee Perfect measure is great with stick powders. I have had issues with ball powder where the small kernels get into the mechanism and bind it up. Accurate as can be.

Stick powders in the LPPM and just about everything else in a small chamber or large one in my RCBS Uniflow.

I have other measures but those two are the ones I use.

Three44s

Back