Leupold Target Dot reticle

AdamT

Looking to scope a newly acquired VSSF in 220 Swift that will be for shooting small varmints, mainly groundhogs. Anybody use the Leupold target dot reticle? What’s your thoughts on it for varmint hunting, particularly groundhogs? Is the dot enough to see against a darker object, for instance if the groundhog is darker in color or was in a shaded spot? I know a lot would depend on the lighting, most of the time it’s sunny days, and not real early or not right at dark, when I would be doing this type of shooting.

I have never used the Leupold but I have used others. My issue is a small target and very much distance and your dot covers the target completely up.
Using a Swift you would be able to reach out some distance and I am afraid you would be giving up that distance if your dot covers the target.

I had an older Lupe 8.5-25 that had a fine crosshair. Sent it in to Lupe and had the Target Dot put in it. Worked just fine but for some reason I just never felt the scope was clear enough and I sold it. Smaller objective lens I'm sure was my issue. Just not enough light for my old eyes. I love a dot in a varmint rifle scope.

Thanks for the replies so far. The one I found is the 6.5-20 variation. I’ve read a few times where people mention the 8.5-25s can be a bit distorted and eye positioning has to be about perfect to get a clear resolution. The biggest complaint I’ve heard on the target dot reticle is being able to pick it up in low light and as 220 Swift mentioned the dot can be larger at range and cover smaller targets. Wish I could look through one in person. The 6.5-20 or 6-18 is the power range I’d like to be in.

Also found this searching google:

•for the VX-2 6-18×40 the dot size is 0.5 inches at the distance of 100 yards at lowest (6x) magnification and 0.2 inches at 100 yards at highest magnification (18x).

•for the VX-3 scopes with 6.5-20x magnification the dot size is 0.9 inches at 100 yards at lowest magnification (6.5x) and 0.3 inches at 100 yards at highest magnification.

•for the VX-3 8.5-25x the target dot size is 0.7 at 100 yards at lowest magnification (8.5x) and 0.2 inches at 100 yards at highest magnification (25x).

Note that as distance to the target increase the target dot size relatively to the target increase as well. At the distance of 200 yards this size will double, at the 300 yards — triple, and so on.

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 with target dot and used it to win the Egg Shoot, at 15.5x the dot set right down in the bottom of the egg at 150 yards and most of the rest of the egg was quite visible. I've shot a few PDs with it and I think you'll like it. I will be using the S-tac 3-16 with a small center dot at the next Egg shoot.

I have an older Vari X III 4.5-14x40AO with target dot reticle on one of my 17 HMR's and for shooting sage rats (Beldings Ground Squirrels) which aren't very big, especially when the new hatch are out, it works pretty good. But, that's not a gun I shoot particularly far so even though sage rats can present a pretty small target the dot doesn't cover anything up.

For a scope that you dial up and down for elevation I suppose a dot would be ok but I wouldn't trust a Leupold Vari X III to be repeatable enough to use it for dialing elevation with any kind of regularity.

Probably my biggest issue with using a target dot reticle is they aren't the greatest for hold over shooting because there are no reference marks, just the one dot. It's great to have that uncluttered view but even for my use it would be nice to have a couple other reference marks for quick holder shooting.

The Leupold target dot reticle is a good useable size, not to big nor so small you struggle to see it. Years ago I had a Weaver with their fine crosshair target dot and dang it was, often, a real beech just to see it it was so fine and small. The Leupold is much easier to see.

Check out the S-Tac. Mine is on my 223 and I really like it. It has a floating dot, plus cross hairs and hash marks. And its not a super busy reticle even though all that is going on.

I had a dot on one of my squirrel guns for a short period. Too fine for hunting, so replaced it with a fine duplex.

The MOA-3 in the Sightron S-Tac 3-16x42 would be a great option.

Leupold no longer does custom work like cross hair changes etc since covid screwed things up they shut down the custom shop and it will never open again.

Originally Posted By: hydehunterLeupold no longer does custom work like cross hair changes etc since covid screwed things up they shut down the custom shop and it will never open again.
That’s sad to hear. T.K. Lee used to do dot crosshairs, did for decades but is now out of business. I had two Leupold fixed 12x scopes done by Lee several years ago. I love the dots.

'if' you can find one used. The one you want to find. Leupold did a 1/8th MOA target Dot Ret. . I had one years ago and it was pretty small/fine even at longer ranges .

Originally Posted By: IndexFinger
'if' you can find one used. The one you want to find. Leupold did a 1/8th MOA target Dot Ret. . I had one years ago and it was pretty small/fine even at longer ranges .
1/8” is pretty darn small, but precise no doubt. I had 1/2” ones put in mine. Great for distant groundhogs.

Back