Gear Review: Keen Revel IV Polar mid boot

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
One of the BEST parts of PM is the community and being able to meet like minded individuals. A lot of times, those relationships grow into something more. I have met so many great people on PM. One of them, Jim, is a great example. I met Jim through PM years ago when he said he was coming down to AZ. We got together and we showed him how we hunted predators in AZ.

In the last few years my job has changed. I travel sometimes 3 weeks out of every month. Not exactly a great sounding job for most. But when life gives you lemons…go predator calling. I will travel to various parts of the country for work. When I get invited back a second time to that location, I will grab my hunting gear and go calling. I have decided to try and call and kill a coyote in every state. So far I’m off to a pretty good start.

So when I was scheduled to go up to the Northwest I let Jim know and he jumped at the chance to get out for some night calling. See, in AZ we can’t use thermals or night vision, just lights. Jim and a lot of you are not saddled with those kinds of laws. But this time of year, it can get pretty cold up in the Northwest, I know because I grew up in Washington. I started gathering up my gear and my winter boots were looking a bit rough.

One thing I learned growing up in Washington and in the Boy Scouts is that cold feet can ruin a day faster that a lot of things. Snow is cold the last time I checked, and with the prospect of cold weather and older boots, I thought it was time to look at getting some new ones. Now I have owned boots from Red Wing, Danner, Bates, Irish Setter, Wolverines and others. In my professional capacity I have also used a variety of boots, most recently Keen. They are comfortable work boots, so why not try some for hunting?
After a little research I settled on the Keen Revel IV Polar Mid boot. They are leather, with an aggressive sole and are advertised to withstand cold down to -25 degrees. Now look, if it gets that cold, I’m going to go get breakfast. I’m not hunting polar bears. I know some of you deal with those kinds of temps, hats off to you. So I ordered a pair on Amazon.
keev revel iv 2 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

First Impressions:
Regardless of what you think about Amazon, but they got me the boots in just a couple of days. Which was good, since I was short on time to get my gear together. I tried them on and found them to be just as comfortable as my work boots. So I grabbed them, a heat gun and some Sno-Seal and got them treated up. One thing I first noticed about the boots was how light they are. Keen advertises them as being about 24oz. I figure that’s gotta be for the “average” size. I am far from average. I’m above average. Everything I wear is. That, along with me needing to come in under weight for travel on an airline attracted me to the Revels. Mine we very light, substantially lighter than any of my other boots.

In the field:
These boots were just what I was looking for. They offered a comfy foot bed and plenty of support which my crippled up ankle greatly appreciated. Our first night hunt was cold. It was close to 20 degrees and clear, so the snow was icy. It was cold enough that Jim and I were struggling to find comfort even in good gloves and hand warmers. Standing there in the cold, my feet were about the only thing not complaining. Now, it’s a little early in the game to predict how they will hold up. But so far, they look like they’re doing ok. I will try them out in the snows in AZ when I go up after bobcats and foxes before the spring comes, but I see no reason to think that they won’t hold up.

keen revel iv by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Mo

Back