Thermals on bolt guns

I've been in the thermal game 7 years and have run Trijicon, Pulsar, Bering Optics and purchased the AGM Adder 384 about 3 months ago. So far I think its the best money I've spent on a thermal so far. Image quality is as good as my 5 year old Trijicon 640. Love the controls and internal battery life.

Burn,
I am currently running my AGM Rattler on a bolt gun with no problems with eye relief or getting it mounted back far enough.
To give you a couple options in tube type thermals, take a look at the AGM Adders, or the Iray Bolt series. Both are quality scopes and are designed for the bolt gun. Keep us posted on your thoughts.

bait
What mount are you using for the Rattler ? I am contemplating going from my AR setup to my bolt for night hunting. Thanks.

Question ?? For all you Thermal guy's I have a old but unused FLIR I mounted it on a old Bushmaster .223 AR I have it sited in and it shoots very well ---- But it will only stay alive about 20 minutes, is there a auxiliary battery pack I can get to make it live longer?? need all the help I can get. Murl B.

Don’t have any of the scopes mentioned, but I run an iRay Bolt on a Ruger Predator and as soon as my Gen2 comes in I’ll swap it to it and put the AGM on the Predator.
I’m more interested in weight than rapid fire. If I can find an AR10 weighing about 6# or so I might consider making it a coyote/hog gun.

I run a Thermion 2 XP50 Pro on a trued SS Remington Action , CBI barrel and Magpul hunter stock. I use a picatinny rail with an AD QD mount and depending on property, I switch between RA 450 BM and AR 10 in .243

I just pick up over 10,000 acres of open paster lands to hunt, I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Thermion w/LRF

Last edited:
What mount are you using for the Rattler ? I am contemplating going from my AR setup to my bolt for night hunting. Thanks.
I'm using the mount that came with the Rattler. It cantilevers back far enough for me on the bolt gun. I can't remember off hand if that was an adjustable cantilever where you could move it by changing the screw holes. Here is a pic of it on my 22-250.
20211207_150353.jpg

I ran an AGM Adder TS50-384 for a year, loved the scope for my type of hunting. Then I upgraded to a 640 in a Rico GH50, love this scope looks odd as heck but works just fine.

Attachments

• rem 700 chassis-3 - Copy.jpg
    rem 700 chassis-3 - Copy.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 17
  • Rico-GH50-2.jpg
    Rico-GH50-2.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 17
I'm using the mount that came with the Rattler. It cantilevers back far enough for me on the bolt gun. I can't remember off hand if that was an adjustable cantilever where you could move it by changing the screw holes. Here is a pic of it on my 22-250.
View attachment 7199
Thank you. I may try it. I would really like to use my 22 creed for night hunting.
You have a nice setup there.

I believe you can also buy a scope base rail that extends to the rear as well if you need just a little more. Mount it up and give it a whirl...

I believe you can also buy a scope base rail that extends to the rear as well if you need just a little more. Mount it up and give it a whirl...
yes sir you're correct. They may a PIC rail that extends a bit further rearward, I didn't need one and the GH50 has 3 bolt hole adjustment as well.

I run a RIX Leap L3 on a bolt action rifle. Had it on a Browning X-Bolt and now on a Tikka. 30mm tube so regular rings. Cheek weld on browning wasn’t bad. Tikka I think I’m going to put a little rise in factory stock. Running Leupold 2 piece bases with Dual dovetail rings in high height. If I ran a 1 piece picatinny rail I’d need a set of extra high rings because of the bulbous turret housing.

Back