Called in first coyote, but it went south. Critique what I did wrong.

Wiscoboy

So this morning I FINALLY called in a coyote. No one was more shocked than me. Were talking 100+ stands, no called predators.

Anyway, was calling on some public on top of a open area with fingers. Had a very slight NE wind, like 2-3 mph. I walked in about 1/4 mile and wanted to go further but it was getting light quicker than I expected. I set up and called with a cross wind, basically the coyote did exactly what I setup for, came in at my 10 o'clock and started circling toward my roughneck call. He was a little sneaky, would take a few trots and stop. Take a few trots and stop. I switched from a bird sound on the caller to a rat which is my coaxer default sound. He continued in , and then I remembered I should be lip squeaking. I stopped the caller and did that and he got hinky and came a little closer but buggered out right away. I was down below the caller and off to the side about 35-40 yards. I shot at him 2x when he turned to leave but missed. Probably got him to about 75 yards. Being a lefty I did have to move the sticks a little and maybe he noticed that too idk. But, he did what I pictured in my head when I setup, so I'm happy with that, a lot.

Should I have just left the bird sound on? Should I have left the rat coaxer sound on? Or should I have lip squeaked or not lip squeaked? Just trying to learn from my mistakes because I don't get opportunities often. I had the caller on about 12 for volume due to very little wind, and the coaxer was like 7.

1. IMO, if they are coming into the call, don't change anything, let them come in. If they are getting too close you can bark, yell hey, or other sound to try and stop them. Then Don't Miss! Laff'n

The more you call in and can read them, Ears up, alerted, hard charging in, looking back (maybe another behind it) you can make judgement calls. I have had them coming in, then change sounds and seen them turn and run away. You can over call them. Lots of people debate whether to let the caller run constant or intermittent also.

Be mindful of your down wind, often if they get a snootful of you or your partner, they will leave.

I would have left the original sound play. Don't change unless the coyote does.

There was no reason to lip squeak. All that did was move his attention from the e caller to you.

In short, if we was coming, let him come. Take the first high percentage shot he gives.

I agree with Junki and Ram...let'em keep coming, they are already interested in the call.

If they are pausing like you said I might drop the volume. Sometimes that can get them to commit.

But great job with the set up. Sounds like you've learned a lot and were able to use those lessons to a great effect.

Also sounds like because you were 0-100 you might have got just a bit jumpy. We used to say that our first stand was a warm up but more often than not we make contact on our first stands. So you have to be as diligent on stand 1 as any other stands.

But keep it up, you're dialing in.

We never lip squak at coyotes because at least 50% of the coyotes will panic when they here a lip squeak comming from a different direction than the sound you are playing on your e-caller.

If we don't have a shotgun on stand we mute the sound on our e-caller once the coyote gets in good rifle range to get it to stop. Muting the sound works better for us and even if they don't stop when the sound is muted they don't panic and run off as quickly as they do when they hear a lip squeak.

Congratulations on #1 called. Now just a little fine tuning. Listen to the advice these guys have given it is all golden.

I agree with the guys above.

Congrats on sticking with it !

You finally got one in ,now keep calm and kill the next one.
thumbup1.gif

Last edited:
I also agree with what you are being told. I might turn the sound down but never totally off. And yes when in range for you thats comfortable. If the coyote is 100-150yds, bark to stop them and squeeze. You'll get one down. Getting to seeing your first one come in, must of got your blood a pumping. Keep at it.

I'll stop the sound if/when I want to stop the coyote. But I don't change anything as long as the coyote is coming.

First off, pat yourself on the back. Calling in a coyote this late in the season on public ground is an accomplishment whether you put him on the ground or not. Your persistence is admirable and something that can't be taught. Keep at them and continue to learn and you will be killing them left and right.

As far as your scenario goes, be patient next time. Read the coyote and don't rush a shot or try to do too much. If they are coming, just let them do so. If they turn to leave do not rush your shot. 95% of the time they will stop and give you a shot. there is no need to take a running shot or rush a shot unless they have already kicked it into 5th gear. keep at them and we will look forward to hearing about your first kill.

the only other thing would be getting set up the way you think they are coming in . i shoot left handed too ill set up a little left of where i think they will come from you can go a little right easyer than you can left.

You are officially addicted!. I don't change the sound at all when I'm hunting "shared" ground and I see a coyote coming in. I stop them with a bark, or quiet "hey" AFTER they are in the scope or the shotgun bead is on them. Don't pull their attention to you if you are not ready to pull the trigger. You can do everything right and still not kill, happens more the we like to admit.

In my opinion shutting off the e-caller and lip squeaking will get you busted more times then not.There NORAD radar system will pick you out in a second..
Just somthing I've learned hand calling the last 45 years when they heading in the right direction don't do anything different,when they get close,most of the time silence is best.

I agree with all of the above tips if you have them coming go to less volume if they stop try a coaxer sound that has worked for me at times. Keep after them and good luck.

Back